Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't choose between coilovers

Hey guys, i've had my dc2r for almost a year now and i'm lovin it

But i think its time for some handling upgrades, the two coilovers i had in mind were the zeal function x (Not sure on hard or soft spring version), or the TEIN MONO SPORT DAMPER KIT, I have tried doing my research on both of these coilovers, but there really aren't too many articles or reviews about them. I was also wandering if there are any other coilovers that are considered a really good replacement for the already great shocks and springs on the dc2r, i'm planning to track the car once i purchase these coilovers and a set of advan ad08's, it is also my daily/weekend car, so i don't want to go for something too harsh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, also, my budget is up to 3500, but no higher since im not going to be competitively racing. Thanks heaps.

Any clues guys? haha

Comment

Zeals out of those 2 coils. 3.5k for coils is a pretty decent budget and you can get some pretty good coils with that kind of money.

Comment

Hard to say what I can recommend for the DC2R, but out those two the zeal functions definitely seems to be the better rated coilover according to the internet, haha. 3500 is a big budget, for that kind of money I'd look into KW's or the Tein super racing circuit dampers which can be had for around that price or even cheaper.
        1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
          Zeals out of those 2 coils. 3.5k for coils is a pretty decent budget and you can get some pretty good coils with that kind of money.
          Well i'm planning to keep the car for a long long time and eventually track it, so i bought i would go for some decent parts, i might start a build thread very soon, just depends on how much time i have on my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
            Hard to say what I can recommend for the DC2R, but out those two the zeal functions definitely seems to be the better rated coilover according to the internet, haha. 3500 is a big budget, for that kind of money I'd look into KW's or the Tein super racing circuit dampers which can be had for around that price or even cheaper.
            The Tein super racing circuits are about 5k, which would throw me way out of my budget bracket haha. With the zeals, im not sure on whether i should get the hard spring version or soft spring version

The soft springs are rated at 10kg for the front and 6kg for the back, while the hard ones are 12kg front and 8kg rear... im not too sure how much of a difference they would make. Also the tein's seem to be best bang for the buck as it comes with the edfc and the camber tops, but im not sure of the quality, i know tein is recognised as a great coilover company, but i just want a better understanding of what else is out there, and although my budget is up to 3.5k, it would be better if i could spend a little less, that way i can get my parts for the teggy

Comment

the softs will be better for non-competitive setup.
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                the softs will be better for non-competitive setup.
                At the end of the day, i don't want to pull out my wallet twice for the same thing, thats why im still contemplating on whether to buy the soft ones or the hard ones, is there anyone on the forum running the zeals who could maybe give me their opinion aswell?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

just get the hard ones then.

i ran 12/8 Cusco and a 14/10 Tein setup on Sydney streets for many 10'000kms, it is not too harsh (for me)
                  ... retired/

Comment

kw only cost around 2k for v3. they tend to squeak for street.
                    if its mainly for street i would get koni/gc for around 1k.

Comment

Originally posted by teggzy View Post
                      At the end of the day, i don't want to pull out my wallet twice for the same thing, thats why im still contemplating on whether to buy the soft ones or the hard ones, is there anyone on the forum running the zeals who could maybe give me their opinion aswell?

Thanks for the help.
                      Different chassis, but I have the Zeal functions on my DC5, I found them comfortable for street and they preformed well at the track. Zeal Dampers are apparently designed in a different way (I don't have a decent understanding of this to explain lol) but they are supposed to absorb bumps better making them more comfortable for street, also you know the quality is going to be good. If you're going to track in the future I'd just get the hard ones and be done with it, whatever you get you'll just get used to anyway

Comment

I have Zeal Super Functions on my DC5R ... 14k front 20k rear ... crazy spring rates but definitely far more comfortable than the Tein Super Streets I had previously! It's just the way it's been valved for the spring rates, so it absorbs the bumps rather than bouncing all over the place.

I would suggest getting the Zeal Function X for your budget ... softer spring rates and valved more for street. Mine are purely for track use!

Also just get hard version ... it wont make much of a difference anyways! It's pretty much tuned to the rates anyways. You wont go back once you experienced Zeals!

Comment

my $0.02. You will get used to the stiffer dampers. I've done 10k on mine so far and they are 14kg front and rear. NPG coilovers with Swift springs. Just make sure your front sway isn't too aggressive. Ps this is driving lots of highway and bad country roads.

"Because in a split second, it's gone" ~Ayrton Senna

Comment

Working...
                          X