Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refurbing SE37K - How should it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurbing SE37K - How should it be done?

Hi All,

Basically I have a set of SE37K which I want to repair.

In its current condition it basically has

-Some typical gutter rash left by the previous owner on all 4 wheels.
    -Aged/Faded paint work.

Otherwise the wheels are straight and round, not buckled.

I have consulted with Craved Coating and so far it looks like I need go through 2 separate step:

+Repair all gutter rashes
    +Get it powdercoated

Regarding the gutter rash repair, I'm looking to get Magman to do the job. He's quoted roughly $75-$130 per rim. (Although, I forgot to mention to him I won't be needing any paint correction along with this job, hopefully it should be cheaper than that)

Craved Coating has quoted me $450 for 4 wheels with satin finish or $650 if I wanted it done with a gloss finish.

So I'm just wondering if the prices I've been getting are reasonable for today's market. I've searched about wheel repairs topics but most threads date back a few years ago and beyond which may not be relevant to prices nowadays.

If anyone can provide some suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Peter,

For the gutter rash repairs, the prices are reasonable. I've had quotes from a few places and they are all in the same range. HF Customs has quoted me $60 per wheel due to my light rashes with paint correction. He can be found on facebook.

Im not too sure about his work yet so you can wait til when im done in about 2 weeks.
    Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

I like Magman's quality in terms of rash repair. Paint, I feel he can use a thicker layer of clearcoat. also not opened on weekends and that was tough for me
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

For a heat treated aluminium wheel, like the SE37K, I would prefer to paint and bake at low temperature rather than powdercoat. It's unlikely that the second heat treating process that the powdercoat oven will produce will negatively affect the strength or fatigue life of the wheel, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
          For a heat treated aluminium wheel, like the SE37K, I would prefer to paint and bake at low temperature rather than powdercoat. It's unlikely that the second heat treating process that the powdercoat oven will produce will negatively affect the strength or fatigue life of the wheel, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
          Point taken.

On second thoughts, I think I should just paint it like you said. Since I do intend to do some track work, I shouldn't take the risk.

Now comes next question, would be is there any recommendation of a shop that does good painting which would last through motor sport activities?

I'm just going to go with gloss black.

Comment

you should be fine if the shop paints 2K. Heck, plastidip holds up to motorsport abuse so 2K will be leaps and bounds ahead on durability against heat
            www.flickr.com/andhey
            http://ohitsandy.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Subscribed to see results pics. Hehe :-)

I'd probably just paint them too, but in regard to the powdercoating cure temperature - it is around 200°C for 10 minutes apparently.

What are everyone's thoughts on how this compares with the wheel effectively acting as a heatsink for the brakes in motorsport use? I know I've had my wheels too hot to touch before, and that was after stopping and getting out of the car etc. How hot do you think the wheels actually get when there is a brake rotor bolted to them which is glowing red hot?
              | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I had the same wheels on my previous car, were guttered and had them repainted:

Was worried with the temps used in powdercoating affecting the structural integrity of the wheel as mentioned above.
                ClubITR Team NSX Owner #001 (Berlina Black)

Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #010 - Evo 9 on E85 - Sold

DC2R - Sold

Comment

What are the wheels made out of? Powder coating is common on most metals even ones used structurally in high rise construction.
                  Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                  http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

I've got a question that's related to this...

My set of te37sl's have one rim that is rashed (from previous owner) problem is the lip isn't just bare polished metal...

It's got a light tint that makes it a shade or two darker than where the rash is...

If I got it fixed would someone be able to touch it up and get the right finish?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim80y View Post
                      I had the same wheels on my previous car, were guttered and had them repainted:

Was worried with the temps used in powdercoating affecting the structural integrity of the wheel as mentioned above.
                      That looks great!

Who did you get it painted by??

Comment

Working...
                      X