The feel of the DC5R gearbox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, I would like some advice on how to change the feel of shifting gears in the DC5R. Currently when I shift in my car, the shifts don't feel as crisp or precise as newer model eg. FN2R.

I know age plays a major problem and over the years I have felt it get a little "loose" when shifting.

Are there any possible ways to get the gearbox back shifting with a firmer, crisp and precise feel ?

Would any of the following help change the feel ?

- Gearbox rebuild.

- Aftermarket shifter cables.

- Aftermarket shift box (K-Sport, BuddyClub etc.)

Any inputs will be nice, thanks !

Change gearbox oil? Worth a try lol haha
    > http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...894#post254894

Comment

I find changing the gearbox.fluid improves alot
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

Originally posted by McDognalds View Post
        Change gearbox oil? Worth a try lol haha
        Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
        I find changing the gearbox.fluid improves alot
        Hey guys, Yeah I have changed the gearbox oil with OEM fluids. It did get rid of my problem with 2nd gear sometimes not wanting to go in but little effect on the crisp feel !

Comment

I'm did buddy club ss and skunk2 knob first, and found it did shorten up the throw but I wouldn't say it changed the shift feel
          I then fitted M-tec 'race' shift springs, which definatly tightened up the feel of the box, even my mrs asked why it felt so stif(lol)
          Best thing I ever did was switch out my fluid for Amsoil synchromesh, totally changed the feel, smoothed it up, especially getting into reverse.
          About the only other thing I think you could do is maybe hybrid shifter bushings, I did order a set but bought US spec type-s ones and they didn't fit my type-r, I couldn't have been arsed sending them back so on sold em and now I have my J's intake installed, I couldn't be bothered removing it to fit up the right ones
          02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
            I'm did buddy club ss and skunk2 knob first, and found it did shorten up the throw but I wouldn't say it changed the shift feel
            I then fitted M-tec 'race' shift springs, which definatly tightened up the feel of the box, even my mrs asked why it felt so stif(lol)
            Best thing I ever did was switch out my fluid for Amsoil synchromesh, totally changed the feel, smoothed it up, especially getting into reverse.
            About the only other thing I think you could do is maybe hybrid shifter bushings, I did order a set but bought US spec type-s ones and they didn't fit my type-r, I couldn't have been arsed sending them back so on sold em and now I have my J's intake installed, I couldn't be bothered removing it to fit up the right ones
            Thanks for your input ! Will definitely get some of those springs. Has reverse gear been harder to get into and did you change the pivot ball as well ?
            Sucks I have to remove the GruppeM to install these.
            Last edited by tuannn; 24-02-14, 01:04 AM.

Comment

How many KMS on said gearbox? My DC2R gearbox was as good as the day it left the factory 13 years before..

Quote:
              Originally Posted by justinfox
              You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Yeah but ur arguement is invalid cos dc2r 》 dc5r
                Integra Type R
                Integra Type S
                S2000

Comment

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
                  How many KMS on said gearbox? My DC2R gearbox was as good as the day it left the factory 13 years before..
                  the DC2 has a stiff shifter rod set-up, the dc5 uses sloppy cables.

while the DC2 can be stiffened further by simply upgrading the rubber to polyurethane bushes, the cable set up needs more detailed and intricate work to get a good feel...
                  ... retired/

Comment

If you want like new feel then rebuild the gearbox, replace the shifter cables with new OEM, and replace the shifter assembly with new OEM. The aftermarket cables and shifter might give a feel you prefer, but I'm naturally wary of the "I just got a CNC mill and I'm going to see what junk I can churn out that people will buy" USDM parts.

I haven't noticed a big deterioration in the feel of the gear shift in my car since new, but it is definitely not as tight as it was. It doesn't bother me much though.

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
                    I doubt this is true.

Comment

A set of these go a long way to improving shifter feel, I promise you. Something like $30-40

Comment

Thanks for all the inputs guys. At this point I have order a set of MTEC Race springs and, hybrid racing cables and a BuddyClub SS. Cant wait to get these parts in.

Comment

Good stuff! I have both the race springs aswell as the HR race cables, and the combo is awesome. Im also using it with the HR kswap shifter tho, which eliminates alot of the 'slop' from the OEM plastic shifter box.

Comment

Sounds like a good combo there tuan, I would look into upgrading your gearbox oil to a much thicker viscosity. I have used Valvoline and Endless gearbox oils, honestly I use Endless fluids throughout my car ... it's not cheap but well worth it! Valvoline is good for the mild track and street use, highly recommend this as you will get alot better feels with the LSD working due to the thicker oil also it isnt expensive, if not same price as OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vvvtec View Post
                              Good stuff! I have both the race springs aswell as the HR race cables, and the combo is awesome. Im also using it with the HR kswap shifter tho, which eliminates alot of the 'slop' from the OEM plastic shifter box.
                              Wow I've always wanted the HR shifter box but its a bit expensive ! Did you have any trouble trying to get into reverse gear as I've heard it could be a pain with the "MTEC Race Springs" ?

Originally posted by Stephen_AUS View Post
                              Sounds like a good combo there tuan, I would look into upgrading your gearbox oil to a much thicker viscosity. I have used Valvoline and Endless gearbox oils, honestly I use Endless fluids throughout my car ... it's not cheap but well worth it! Valvoline is good for the mild track and street use, highly recommend this as you will get alot better feels with the LSD working due to the thicker oil also it isnt expensive, if not same price as OEM.
                              Thanks Stephen ! Will be looking to use some better oil as I've always try to use OEM. What thickness would you recommend for a gearbox with 110,000KM on it ?

Comment

Working...
                              X