KONI GC for DC2R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KONI GC for DC2R

Im thinking of getting Koni with ground control kit.
    Was wondering on what spring rates i should run. Im after something neutral. Good for track. Not to bothered about comfit.
    And any ideas of seller local or who trust worthy who post to SYD.

Thanks
    sigpic
    128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

500lb/in is a generally accepted spring rate limit for the standard Koni sport shocks on an 88-00 Honda. I have 500/450 on my daily (EF) and I think the ride comfort is quite good, and my car is much lighter than a DC2R, so I'd expect the same rates on a DC2R to be more than acceptable. I don't live in Sydney though.

With these spring rates the shock still has plenty enough rebound damping to control the suspension, it is certainly not bouncy at all and doesn't feel underdamped. This is in complete contrast with TDM coilovers I've had in the past with similar rates that felt super crashy over bumps but were still bouncy as if they didn't have enough rebound. With this in mind I'll be putting some spare 10kg/mm Swift front springs in mine and moving the 500lb/in to the rear.

So for your car I wouldn't go lower than 450 lb/in at the front and 400 lb/in at the rear, but you'd have to keep the ride height reasonable with these rates.

I bought mine from THmotorsports through Honda-Tech: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php...513&p=49333570 The price on the parts themselves was good, but shipping cost was slightly excessive so I'd shop around. Service was good though. I've also bought the GC sleeves directly from Ground Control and their customer service was excellent too (Dealt with a guy named Trevor).

One thing to note is that two of my shocks started leaking slightly from the adjusters straight out of the box, so I'm going to have to claim warranty and this could be difficult given I got the bits from the US. So consider getting the shocks locally if you're concerned about warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
      500lb/in is a generally accepted spring rate limit for the standard Koni sport shocks on an 88-00 Honda. I have 500/450 on my daily (EF) and I think the ride comfort is quite good, and my car is much lighter than a DC2R, so I'd expect the same rates on a DC2R to be more than acceptable. I don't live in Sydney though.

With these spring rates the shock still has plenty enough rebound damping to control the suspension, it is certainly not bouncy at all and doesn't feel underdamped. This is in complete contrast with TDM coilovers I've had in the past with similar rates that felt super crashy over bumps but were still bouncy as if they didn't have enough rebound. With this in mind I'll be putting some spare 10kg/mm Swift front springs in mine and moving the 500lb/in to the rear.

So for your car I wouldn't go lower than 450 lb/in at the front and 400 lb/in at the rear, but you'd have to keep the ride height reasonable with these rates.

I bought mine from THmotorsports through Honda-Tech: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php...513&p=49333570 The price on the parts themselves was good, but shipping cost was slightly excessive so I'd shop around. Service was good though. I've also bought the GC sleeves directly from Ground Control and their customer service was excellent too (Dealt with a guy named Trevor).

One thing to note is that two of my shocks started leaking slightly from the adjusters straight out of the box, so I'm going to have to claim warranty and this could be difficult given I got the bits from the US. So consider getting the shocks locally if you're concerned about warranty.
      Thanks for that.
      That seems to be alot softer then the majority of coil over for the dc2R?
      I was thinking something around 12-8. Is there a reason you say so soft chargeR?
      sigpic
      128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Thanks for that.
        That seems to be alot softer then the majority of coil over for the dc2R?
        I was thinking something around 12-8. Is there a reason you say so soft chargeR?
        I wasn't recommending those rates, more so just suggesting them as an absolute bare minimum and since the generally accepted max rate on the Koni sports is around 500lb/in you can't really go much higher than that anyway without risking the shock not performing at its best. You could consider the Race valved and shortened version of the Koni shock, they're what I have for my CR-X but unfortunately I haven't used them yet so can't comment. They're recommended for rates up to around 1000lb/in.

Personally I think that anything below 500lb/in is too soft for circuit use on a DC2R.

Comment

So what you saying is 500lb/in is the max the koni shock can take. But is still to soft for track work.
          Poeple have mentioned to me the Koni race shock. but according to there site they dont make them for the dc2R?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            So what you saying is 500lb/in is the max the koni shock can take. But is still to soft for track work.
            Poeple have mentioned to me the Koni race shock. but according to there site they dont make them for the dc2R?
            Sorry mate, didn't see your reply earlier. Yes I think that 500lb/in is a bit on the soft side for track use on a DC2R, and people say that it's the maximum for the Koni sport. That said the 500lb/in on my EF doesn't feel underdamped even with the shocks on about half stiffness, so I'd be reasonably comfortable pushing up to say 600lb/in on a stock Koni sport shock. I'm going to be fitting some spare Swift 10kg/mm springs (560lb/in) to the front and putting my 500s in the rear and I'll report back.

Koni definitely make the Race valved version of the 8041 shock for the DC2R.

KONI-Race.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X