Car Servicing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Servicing Question

Hey, guys I am planning to service my car soon and after much reading of many oil threads I decided to go with 5w30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil. I went to the warehouse today and I'd thought I asked if they sell the oil filter aswell, and they said they do. They asked what car I have, which is a 06 Integra Type S and they went through their parts booklet and could only find the DC5R filter which is the k20a2 engine. I thought it would fit because k20Z1 engine pretty similar? until I saw that the k20a3 engine also uses a different filter. The booklet that they have states that the DC5R uses M1-104, and the k20a3 uses M1-110 ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mobil-1-E...b90265e&_uhb=1 ). I then called my local honda dealer and they told me that oem honda oil filter fits all hondas so this is quite confusing.

Another question is that I also plan to change my gearbox oil, which oil do you guys recommend between redline and Honda MTF? And am I suppose to get 75w80 or 75w85.

The most appropriate Red Line transmission oil to use in the K series manual gearboxes for normal use is the MTL which is a 75W80. For pure street use though I would consider the Honda MTF, as at regular temperatures it works quite well. If you want the Red Line oil then talk to Mugsee/Autosphere on this forum.

Pretty much all post 1988 Hondas have the same filter thread, and o ring diameter, so any Honda filter will physically fit any engine. However Honda Japan have specified various oil filters over the years particularly for the performance models like the S2000 and NSX. Local Honda dealers will tell you that the same filter they sell is suitable for all models, but the factory would tell you differently.

Anyway, a filter for a K20A2 will fit a K20Z1 from an 06 Type S without a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
      The most appropriate Red Line transmission oil to use in the K series manual gearboxes for normal use is the MTL which is a 75W80. For pure street use though I would consider the Honda MTF, as at regular temperatures it works quite well. If you want the Red Line oil then talk to Mugsee/Autosphere on this forum.

Pretty much all post 1988 Hondas have the same filter thread, and o ring diameter, so any Honda filter will physically fit any engine. However Honda Japan have specified various oil filters over the years particularly for the performance models like the S2000 and NSX. Local Honda dealers will tell you that the same filter they sell is suitable for all models, but the factory would tell you differently.

Anyway, a filter for a K20A2 will fit a K20Z1 from an 06 Type S without a problem.
      Thanks a lot for answering my question charger, I will go with Honda MTF. My last question is that are all Honda MTF the same(eg 75w80 etc?)

Comment

Amsoil syncomesh MTF is also highly regarded for use in the dc5
        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by LiteX View Post
          Thanks a lot for answering my question charger, I will go with Honda MTF. My last question is that are all Honda MTF the same(eg 75w80 etc?)
          That question is hard to answer, Honda only sell one type of MTF now but they have revised it a couple of times over the years. So yes all currently available Honda MTF will be the same, but it has been different in the past. Some guys in the US say it got slightly thinner in the latest revision, but I'm not sure of the facts.

Comment

That question is hard to answer, Honda only sell one type of MTF now but they have revised it a couple of times over the years. So yes all currently available Honda MTF will be the same, but it has been different in the past. Some guys in the US say it got slightly thinner in the latest revision, but I'm not sure of the facts.
            are you saying that the mtf from the past is better?

Comment

Originally posted by LiteX View Post
              are you saying that the mtf from the past is better?
              Not at all. Just saying what I'd read, and thinner doesn't mean inferior. I a couple of different versions of the MTF over the years in my car (01 DC5R) and didn't really notice that much difference, the newer stuff might have been slightly better at low temperatures if anything.

Comment

Not at all. Just saying what I'd read, and thinner doesn't mean inferior. I a couple of different versions of the MTF over the years in my car (01 DC5R) and didn't really notice that much difference, the newer stuff might have been slightly better at low temperatures if anything.
                Thanks for the help charger. Just bought myself two bottles of MTF06 for $19 a bottle (1L) at meekong spares and a OEM Honda Oil filter for $16.

http://www.hondacatalogue.com.au/pro...d-(MTF06).html
                Last edited by LiteX; 27-11-13, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X