New QLD impound laws. Would be fine if not complete BS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New QLD impound laws. Would be fine if not complete BS

So this just popped up on my FB news feed.

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2013...ensland-roads/

Having a look through it there are 2 different levels of offence.

Type 1

Racing or speed trials
    Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
    Careless driving
    Wilfully starting or driving a motor vehicle in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke
    N.B The above four offences are considered Type 1 offences when they have been committed in the circumstances of a burn-out; race between vehicles and speed trials.
    Evade police

Type 2

Driving a vehicle while it is uninsured at the same time as unregistered
    Unlicensed driving
    High-range drink driving >.15%
    Exceeding the speed limit by more than 40km/h.
    Driving an illegally modified vehicle
    Failure to supply a specimen or breath or blood
    Driving while under a 24 hour suspension

Does anyone else find these different levels to be completely retarded? How can it be that being off your face is seen as just as bad as an illegal modification? So I can be drunk as hell and going 100 in a 40 zone and I will get the same penalty as someone with suspension that's too low.

I know that it's not going to be as clear cut as that but shouldn't they make these things clear cut?

Yeah it really is just out of this world how they have split offences into the Type 1 and Type 2 categories. I agree totally with you.

To make things worse, what constitutes offences such as the dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, careless driving and driving a vehicle in a way that creates noise or smoke will basically be up to the discretion of the police officer. With consequences so harsh, this is ridiculous in my opinion. From what I've read on another forum, careless driving can even include eating whilst operating a motor vehicle. How this can possibly be deemed more dangerous than high range drink driving is just totally beyond me.

Whilst I often don't agree with the approach new laws have taken over the years, I have usually understood to some extent the logic/reasoning behind their introduction. The above is just so laughable it makes me want to move overseas and forget Australia ever existed.

Comment

Not having a hand on the wheel while stopped at the lights can be deemed careless even. You know that they arent going to be targeting Commodore shitboxes with bald tyres either. It will be us.

Comment

Yeah it's definately not fair, AMEP is trying their best giving us our rights. I believe they fighted for 1st time offence driving an illegal mod vehicle will be let off as a defect fine. But 2nd time for the same issue they will impound, it's just stupid. All money making revenue scheme for the government and Mr Abbott our new f**ked PM will enforce these laws. Australia will be screwed for the next 3 years, IMO I hate politics ... there isnt a say for the public, they say whatever and they get it. But yeah wait another 6 months, more enforcements with our motoring laws will be more stupid and strict.

Comment

Now being an outsider to both Queensland & the car scene (sort of), I view it all in a different light to a few years ago.

Queensland has become one big "Nanny" state, and has been heading that way for a while. Everything is policed, and everything has a fine. These new laws (Being the toughest in the country) just enforce that idea. Melbourne has a much higher population, much higher density, yet I don’t see half as many sh!tboxes on the street.

As for the car scene, I'm moving on from it. I still enjoy cars (Honda even more so after a recent assignment I completed for Uni), but I won't be getting behind the wheel of a modified car any time soon. They are far to much hassle then they are worth, and I would rather put my money towards an exotic of some kind, or a classic (Honda S600 or S800 Coupe would be ideal)

Stephen: These laws are implemented and enforced by the state Government (Liberal Coalition - Campbell Newman), not the federal Government (Liberal - Tony Abbott). Federal Government has nothing to do with it. I do agree that a portion of it is revenue raising, but that’s because the car enthusiasts make themselves an easy target. Get 20 police officers to surrounded a well publicised car meet with 200+ cars, and check every one of them leaving. The revenue from defects or overdue fines (Speeding, parking etc) is going to far outweigh the costs.

We live in a true democratic society. The party that has been placed into power, were chosen by the public, so we did have a say. It seems a lot of the Australian public have no idea about politics, so probably voted for the party the media/family/friends/donkey told them too. From what I’ve seen, most of the discussed and implemented policies of the government were well publicised before the election, yet a lot of people seem to be complaining... go figure.

Comment

Lol, Stephan, are you half serious? pull your head out of your arse, don't try and blame the new coalition for these changes, if anything blame the previous Labour government for its wholesome budget deficit
            02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
              Lol, Stephan, are you half serious? pull your head out of your arse, don't try and blame the new coalition for these changes, if anything blame the previous Labour government for its wholesome budget deficit
              Yeah I know, you are definitely right on this. But, overall I don't really like politics at all! This is what I think of it. Honestly, I think it will get quite bad very very quickly.

Comment

what a depressing post, too many people play the blame game these days

Comment

Originally posted by spyda00 View Post
                  what a depressing post, too many people play the blame game these days
                  He's back!!

Comment

hahaha just posted to see if you would bite lol
                    what happened to the teg? do you still have it

Comment

Hahaha!

Not much. Sold it about a year ago as I moved to Melbourne for study. How about yourself? Did you end up getting the E46 M3?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen_AUS View Post
                        Yeah I know, you are definitely right on this. But, overall I don't really like politics at all! This is what I think of it. Honestly, I think it will get quite bad very very quickly.
                        Sorry I got all fired up bud, all politicians are fcked I agree, but a liberal government will balance the books better than a labour one that's for sure.
                        I'm just so sick of seeing this country turn into such a controlled 'nanny state'
                        I'm 34, so I remember the days of smoking $6 packs of marboro's in pubs, walking down the street with a stubbie In hand and shots of rusty nails till you spewed at the bar,
                        Just hate bring told how to live all the time, soon I'll be fined for farting in public
                        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
                          Hahaha!

Not much. Sold it about a year ago as I moved to Melbourne for study. How about yourself? Did you end up getting the E46 M3?
                          I bought an Audi in the end, then had nothing but issues for the next 2 yrs of ownership lol so i sold it
                          been thinking about buying another car but no idea what i want at the moment

ive seen the old Supercharged honda forsale about 5 times now, I think it would be well and truly flogged now
                          Last edited by spyda00; 01-10-13, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Should have got the M3! Always a hard decision when it comes to getting another car, but I guess it all comes down to how you feel about it.

Yeah, your old car has been getting around a fair bit, and I think it's lived all up the East coast!

Comment

saw the poster to the new laws coming on the 1st, its pretty wild stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X