DC5R Recommendations please =)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R Recommendations please =)

Hey guys, i recently joined ClubITR after months of just skimming through build threads and other interesting posts.

I am looking to purchase a DC5R, preferably black/silver with red/black interior. What Tell-tale signs of something shoddy should i keep an eye out for whilst looking around the market (sydney)?

Any tips and pointers relating to DC5's in general are greatly appreciated =)

Service Records, if aftermarket parts are used, did he source them or were they fitted to the car when he purchased the car?
    Any problems with the car?
    Any prior accidents (Minor to Major)?
    If one or the other, ask him what was damage? Who did the repairs?
    Will the car receive a RWC upon purchase of vehicle (this will also tell a story behind the vehicle as most owners who know there car won't meet the standards will try make excuses blah blah)
    Then again there a some genuine reason for having no RWC, some modifications won't pass unless you get a dodgy lol.

Check oil leaks, smoke from the exhaust (colour in particular).
    Check everything works. Check tyre tread, how long rego left.

Anything that comes to mind dude, just ask.
    Have a read of my build thread

Comment

Okay cool, thanks =) Also, this isn't really related but does ClubITR have a market section (buying/selling)?

Comment

Originally posted by itr5093 View Post
        Service Records, if aftermarket parts are used, did he source them or were they fitted to the car when he purchased the car?
        Any problems with the car?
        Any prior accidents (Minor to Major)?
        If one or the other, ask him what was damage? Who did the repairs?
        Will the car receive a RWC upon purchase of vehicle (this will also tell a story behind the vehicle as most owners who know there car won't meet the standards will try make excuses blah blah)
        Then again there a some genuine reason for having no RWC, some modifications won't pass unless you get a dodgy lol.

Check oil leaks, smoke from the exhaust (colour in particular).
        Check everything works. Check tyre tread, how long rego left.

Anything that comes to mind dude, just ask.
        must do all those

I would add:

check ALL the fluids (see if well maintained as if half the oil sump is missing then :S)
        Ensure all the gear changes are smooth and don't have grinding noises (I test drove one that crunched 3rd gear and was suspect)
        when the car is started look for a smooth tacho and listen to the purr and it should sound constantly smooth

enjoy your hunt
        Just going for a drive ~146.4kw~

Comment

Curiously.
          How old are you?
          How much you willing to spend?
          Do you want it modified or close to stock?

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
            Curiously.
            How old are you?
            How much you willing to spend?
            Do you want it modified or close to stock?
            17 years old
            16K max.
            Stock preferred but typical mods such as CAI/Exhaust (any sort of mod to exhaust)/Headers/ Suspension (although it doesn't bother me)

Comment

AHh fair enough.
              Wait till your 18.
              Get a stock one if you can and learn to enjoy and appreciate the car for what it is IMO
              Last edited by MYDC5R; 22-06-13, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I think we should make a sticky on what to look for when buying a type r or even a honda. But i agree with carl. You'll appreciate a car more when you put your sweat and tears into it.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, I've given a couple of days to see what others have to comment on so I can cover any missed items. Depending on your mechanical knowledge, if you are quite new to the whole automotive scene, I would personally pay someone to inspect the car on your behalf. This way you will get a full mechanical report. However, the following items would be high on my list other than the mentioned service history etc.

Compression on cylinders
                  Inspection on spark plugs
                  Inspection of engine mounts (intact and not broken, especially front mount)
                  Inspection of bushings (not splitting)
                  Inspection of internal face of rims for buckles or dents, possibly highlighting the driving conditions of the owner
                  Inspection of spare tyre (weight saver)
                  Inspection of boot area for rust or possible leaks from rear tail light gaskets
                  Inspection of driveshaft boot lining
                  Inspection of tie rod ends to ensure no splits are present
                  Inspection of suspension components that shocks are intact
                  Ensure that OEM parts come with purchase if the seller has aftermarket parts on
                  Quality of service history (Ask if its possible to contact their service provider to provide a reference for the good standing of the vehicle)
                  And most important of all, REVS check via their chassis VIN for any finance owing or repairable write-offs.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                    Well, I've given a couple of days to see what others have to comment on so I can cover any missed items. Depending on your mechanical knowledge, if you are quite new to the whole automotive scene, I would personally pay someone to inspect the car on your behalf. This way you will get a full mechanical report. However, the following items would be high on my list other than the mentioned service history etc.

Compression on cylinders
                    Inspection of internal face of rims for buckles or dents, possibly highlighting the driving conditions of the owner
                    Quality of service history (Ask if its possible to contact their service provider to provide a reference for the good standing of the vehicle)
                    And most important of all, REVS check via their chassis VIN for any finance owing or repairable write-offs.
                    Yep i reckon Norm covered everything there..
                    You can get a full vehicle inspection on-site by the major motoring orgs. RACV, NRMA, RACQ and so on, they do a full independent inspection, and their report is confidential and for your eyes only, the owner is not informed of anything that they find. Def a good way if you are unsure about the car..
                    sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

When I get some time next week ill do up a downloadable checklist for people for items to look out for.

Comment

Take a REALLY good look at the paint. When Honda sprayed the DC5 in factory I believe they mixed the clear coat into the base coat which can cause the clear coat to peel and paint to fade quicker than most other cars after a good few years. If you decide to get one in Milano Red pay extremely close attention because that fades the worst! If you have any doubts take pictures of the car or even ask a panel beater to look at it.

I speak from personal experience because my Milano Red has faded and I've gotta get a re-spray which is expensive. When I looked at my car when purchasing, it was on cold winter days and the layer of dew and frost on the car made the paint look better than it actually was. I just paid too much attention to the mechanical state of the car and the tyres and checking for rust etc and I completely overlooked that.

Just my contribution!

Comment

When i got my type r wing painted, the MR cost me $87 for a 250ml pot of paint, yes very expensive..
                          sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

I'm not waiting purposely till I'm 18 as i need a car to get to work and Uni (when i start next year) and I'd rather take my time and find one in good condition mechanically and cosmetically, so if i do find one that is within my budget and is worth my while purchasing, I'll do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post

Compression on cylinders
                              Thank you for taking the time to write all that out , i've got relatively in depth knowledge when it comes to mechanics and i have close relatives which are professionals in the automotive industry. No doubt they will check the car over for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X