Weird chucking noise from engine bay ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird chucking noise from engine bay ?

Hey guys, I just have a question. If this part of my engine is making a chucking noise (The belt), is there something wrong with it ?

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers guys.

Check your auto tensioner and see whether its within the normal ranges. Do you have a service manual for 02-04 RSX ? Some people do experiencing some noises with the belt. Some people replace it and the sound goes away, some people get it checked out and it seems to be ok. So yes, it does produce a sound.

Comment

Sadly I dont have the manual. But mine is quite loud.. I'm able to hear it whilst the car is in idle from the cabin.. Is this normal at all ?

And roughly how much would it cost to change that belt ?

Comment

Changing the belt is quite easy. You can DIY it. Look up the DIY section on www.clubrsx.com. Please only attempt with the correct tools and if you are somewhat mechanically minded. I wouldn't try it if your not familiar with the components.

Comment

The URL for the DIY is here http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=694433. This is only if the belt is the cause of your problems. Your auto tensioner range is displayed here

You should be able to see it behind your power steering pump.

Comment

Thanks for that Norm !

Comment

For something like that, is it recommended to get OEM belt? (if there is such a thing) or any aftermarket belt will do?

Comment

There are aftermarket belts. I have not changed my serpentine belt yet, I have merely replaced mine with the existing one when I removed my engine from the bay. I believe reading from comments on clubrsx.com, there are mixed comments on aftermarket belts. One thing with OEM, is you know it will always fit perfectly. Keep in mind though, Honda dealerships in Aust, charge around ~$200 for a new serpentine belt. Its better value if you source it else where. Kseriesparts.com stock OEM belts. Sometimes ebay.com does as well.

Norm

Comment

A good video displaying a loose belt noise can be found here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2jLJOuTU9I

Comment

if replacing the belt doesnt cure problem, it may be the tensioner itself...
                    sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Probably just be loose or worn, just replace it and it should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X