Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

06 DC5 Auto - Weird rythmic pumping/clunking sound when braking for a sharp turn..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

06 DC5 Auto - Weird rythmic pumping/clunking sound when braking for a sharp turn..

Hey! Longtime listener, first time caller.

Posting as, as most issues, whether they be you getting sick or something with the car, this one popped up at 4:30pm on a Saturday. So Monday I'll be making some calls trying to get a professional diagnosis (whenever I can get it booked in.)

Just picked up an 06 Integra Auto and have only had it for 2 weeks. Only 82k on the odo.

It's been driving fine as far as I can tell, no issues, even now. However when driving like a boy racer, coming up to a corner at 40 or 50 for no justifiable reason (not that I need one) - and try to make a sharp turn, there is a weird pumping/clunking sound and dropping feeling from the middle of the engine bay. It may sound overly dramatic, but it sounds like a nasty pumping sound, and like the engine is going to fall out or there is something loose around the middle of the bay.

Car is a DC5 AUTO, the gears are being handled by the ECU obviously. I'm just steering and working the 2 pedals.

If I drive like a granny or a dad or whatever, there are no issues whatsoever. It feels normal and safe.

I've experienced it both turning left and right sharply, just residential streets (in speed limits.)

Recently had Bridgestone RE002's put on with a full wheel balance etc. Just got a RWC. The "mechanics" were lazy ignorant pricks but thats another story for another time.

Not a car guy at all so it's all just shots in the dark for me.

I've done some googling and some clues might be some kind of hydraulic pump issue? Something to do with power steering? From my understanding of brakes on a FWD car (which is not a lot) it doesn't sound like its coming from the calipers at all, more from the middle of the engine bay.

Am planning to get it into Westside Honda for a diagnosis, but there'll probably be a wait time there.

It's currently under a 3month statutory warranty (used car from dealer) so hoping whatever is required will be covered..

Any advice?

Thx!!

engine mounts?
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

I would go with Alex and say engine mounts as well...

If that is the case, you should consider replacing them with a stronger aftermarket product (there are plenty available) instead of the oem ones.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!!

Am booked in for Wednesday with Honda.

I was thinking about stronger aftermarket ones as well if it is engine mounts, however on the slight chance I go k24 swap down the road, I'm trying to google and find out of k20 mounts fit k24??

Someone at clubrsx suggested tie rods might be the cause..

Rly not sure what the dealio is -_-

Availability of parts in aus fairly quickly is an issue.

I found these on JDM Concept, but I'm not sure if they fit in my budget right now. I'm not interested in making it a super tight/shaky/vibrating ride, its my daily

J's Racing Tie Rods, $420
        http://www.jdmconcept.com.au/part/js...egra-dc5-01-07

Mugen Engine & Tranny Mount
        http://www.jdmconcept.com.au/part/mu...egra-dc5-01-07, $445

Anyone had any experience with these? (longshot I know)

Comment

06 DC5 Auto - Weird rythmic pumping/clunking sound when braking for a sharp tur

Unless your going to get serious with suspension mods in the future, oem tie rods will be the best option, even then modified oem 'todds' tie rods are a better option than the j's which have been known to fail,
          Regarding mounts, mugen are a good option for a daily driver, but being auto I think you have a different mount on the tranny side so maybe look at innovative, I think they do a kit for autos, I could be wrong though
          Last edited by gunpoons; 25-03-13, 03:04 PM.
          02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

If you're saying the noise was from the middle of the engine bay, especially under braking, I would say there is a better chance of it being the engine mounts.

From what I can remember all of the k20 mounts fit in with the k24 swap except for one. People use the CRV passenger side mount for the swap..

And just as an extra note, I have hasport mounts in my DC5R and the vibrations are incredibly livable. On the odd occasion I think my phone is ringing in my pocket when it isn't, and thats about it.

Comment

Afaik only innovative offer a dc5 k20 auto mount setup... im waitig for hasport to release a set and i been hassling for almost 2 years
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies, you guys are awesome!

I found these mounts: http://hasport.com/store/index.php/dc5stk.html and an auto to MANUAL adaptor? i thought it'd be the other way around. http://hasport.com/store/index.php/dc5a2m.html

Not sure how its all going to fit into my timeframe and warranty claim. Nissan dealer, liaising with a Honda dealer, then me coming in with performance parts.

If it's engine mounts, at the risk of sounding stupid, I'd want to get them tidied up ASAP yeah? If there isnt any "g force" in action (like the boy racer turn) it feels normal and fine

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
                Unless your going to get serious with suspension mods in the future, oem tie rods will be the best option, even then modified oem 'todds' tie rods are a better option than the j's which have been known to fail,
                Regarding mounts, mugen are a good option for a daily driver, but being auto I think you have a different mount on the tranny side so maybe look at innovative, I think they do a kit for autos, I could be wrong though
                I only plan to go koni yellows and eibach springs if i do suspension so yeah, sticking to OEM seems like the smart choice with tie rods. Thanks for reining me in there and the advice on j's!

Comment

So, I just got it back from Honda.

plaything and shaun you were correct!

Took it out for a spin with a guy from the workshop. Quiet chap. Demonstrated the problem, could really only make it happen when turning left (obviously my car isn't related to Zoolander at all.)

I openly admitted it happens predominately when I drive it like a wanker, and when I baby it, it's normal. He said something along the lines of "well if you drive your car like this.." - I'm thinking, wtf? How am I supposed to drive it? It's not a Jazz, it's a 2L Integra auto. It's a housewives car, they need to feel like heroes when zooming home with the groceries or out to buy shoes or whatevs. I wanna feel tuff like they do!!

Anyway, from the invoice:

ROADTEST VEHICLE WITH CUSTOMER TO CHECK FOR "THUMP" WHEN TURNING
                  Carried out roadtest with customer present, confirmed noise to be present at time of test when turning the vehicle left under load.
                  Returned vehicle back to the dealership.
                  Carried out inspection to all engine mounts, found r.h.f. engine mount to have droped (sic), also the l.h.f. gearbox mount has split.
                  BOTH MOUNTS GENUINE $750 FITTED.
                  So I'm concerned that the "gearbox mount" would be different if the vehicle is Auto or Manual, which means I could potentially order a set of mounts that wont fit my gearbox if I went for aftermarket.

I can't find any mounts that specifically say "auto" or "manual" though.

Hasport Mounts: http://hasport.com/store/index.php/m...tegra/dc5.html
                  Innovative mounts: http://www.shiftperformance.com.au/p...27c485a1db70a7

Can someone definitively tell me if I need auto-specific mounts? Also if the mounts for RHD and LHD are diff? (sorry for the noob q!)

Honda didn't give me the teardown on what their cost of labour is and what the cost of the part is unfortunately, but I guess I can get that work performed somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                  X