Cross threaded bolt. Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to remove my drivers seat today, in an attempt to take a look at the mounting points for when my rails arrive and I fit my new seat...

Here is what I was greeted with:

sa by j.singh9408, on Flickr

As you can see, this bolt is cross-threaded... basically destroyed. Same story wih one other one. Both these bolts are the ones on the right side - the front and back. As some of you know, I had my seats upholstersa little while after I got my car back... so I think the shop would have done this.

What I have done in the meantime is replace the above bolt with a high tensile counterpart from Burson's... what I'm worried about is that the nut is damaged.

I'm fine with replacing the bolt every time I remove my seat, as long as that's all the problem is, the bolt continuosly getting fucked, I don't want to fuck the nut up more and my seat stal has to come out and go back in aleast twice, possibly a lot more. Will that fuck the nut up?

Can anyone see a fix? And how much will it cost me?
    Last edited by DaRKNT; 01-03-13, 06:34 PM.

Run a tap through the nut and see if that corrects the thread.
    Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
    http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

What size tap? Same one? Then use new bolts?

Comment

Any west side melbournians got a tap/die set I can use?

Comment

Re: Cross threaded bolt. Opinions?

Tap should be a m10 or m12x1.25
          Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
          Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
          Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
          Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Just go bunnings and get a tap to suit. I got a tap tool you can borrow
            Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero

Comment

Re: Cross threaded bolt. Opinions?

The manual says it's a 10x1.25 I believe. Where are you located cartoon?

Comment

My tools are at wallacia mate. I won't be there till next weekend but.

Your other option is to put the tap in a drill, set it to a very low speed, oil the bit and go slow.

Actually considering your fixing a thread you could probably just screw it in my had and use a shifter to slowly feed it in. Sill oil it but.

teamGROUNDzero

Comment

I'll let you know boss! Thanks muchly for the help.

Comment

If you retapping a thread. just chuck it in the cordless! In lower and go slow. i do this all the time. As long as your not starting from scratch. Also make sure you buy the correct one. As there is stages!!!!!!
                    Last edited by Karl; 03-03-13, 08:44 PM.
                    sigpic
                    128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Working...
                    X