Rain leaking into spare wheel cavity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone had this happen? I've noticed it twice now but it went away after a couple of days each time but I checked the boot where the spare wheel cavity is and there was water there - both times it's bucketed down the night before. How is it leaking into the spare wheel cavity and shouldn't there be a drain of some sort to prevent this from happening? It's completely stock back there. I noticed it after driving and hearing a 'sloshing' sound towards the back of my car and thought it could be the petrol in the petrol tank but even after I filled up it was still there.

Driving a 2003 DC5, cheers

It's the leaking taillight gaskets. Replacing gaskets should fix the problem.

Comment

Re: Rain leaking into spare wheel cavity

That or they're just not seated properly... I had the same issue when I bout much car. Remove the gaskets and reseated them... worked a charm.

Comment

Cheers for the replies! Will changing the gaskets mean I have to completely remove the rear bumper etc too? Also where can I grab new DC5 gaskets?

Comment

Yes, will have to remove bumper and taillights. You can get gaskets from either Honda dealer or sellers like JDMConcept or JDMYard. Should be around $20 or so.

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

JDMConcept got back to me pretty quick but $35 each I might have to see if my local mechanic can get them in cheap

Comment

That's quite pricey... I think I bought mine for $20~ ish each.
                Bought from Scotts Honda Artarmon.

Now there's a 10% discount with them.. So give them a go!

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...lubITR-members

The problem is that the old OEM gaskets get worn out because the foam shrinks(?) as it gets wetter and wetter. It then becomes defective as it no longer can prevent the water from entering the tail light housing...

I think Honda realised this because the new OEM gaskets are adhesive.. and VERY sticky (be careful when installing them).

But it's been 2 years since I've replaced mine and they're doing very well =]. Good fix.

Comment

just noticed the same thing in my car today too. it did drain itself. very slowly though. im gana change the gasket as you guys suggest. but my question is if the gaskets are crap on the tail light housing.. shouldn't the tail lights get filled with water too? :/

Comment

Yeah... I had a pool in mine. Could have raised a couple of tadpoles in there...

Comment

Yeah.. My tail lights were filled with water.. It was as DaRKNT said, I could've raised fish in there.

You could drill a hole in the corner of the tail light to prevent these pools, but sooner or later, the water flow into the tail light itself will overcome the outflow and personally, it doesn't look nice =P.

I would honestly suggest changing the gaskets and that applies to ALL DC5 owners.. I replaced my right tail light the moment my left one had water inside and to this day it remains clean =D.
                      Trust me, with this problem, prevention is by far the best route.. Don't wait until water gets in there...

There's also a way of putting on the adhesive gaskets... I wish I took pictures, but my tip is to think carefully where/how water may get in there in the first place AND it is MUCH better to work with the chassis than to fit it on the tail light housing - this way, you ensure that the adhesive covers as much of the chassis as possible... When you take out the OEM gasket for the first time, you will no doubt notice dirt or moist spots.. That's the indication where the suspect spots are.. Pay close attention to them and make sure the adhesive gasket covers those spots (in my case, I had to stretch the new gaskets to fit around some spots). I actually replaced my gaskets twice... The first time was a bad fit.. I stuck it on the wrong places and it wasn't long before water got in there again...

The adhesive is really really strong so be prepared to have a sticky time fitting it on perfectly.

Comment

Cheers for the replies! Hope this thread helps other DC5 owners too as it seems to be a common issue even with US DC5 owners.

Comment

This is common with most of the integras. I just use silicone on mine. Worked like a charm but idk if you wanna do that though. I didnt want to replace the gasket all the time so i just used sikaflex
                          sigpic

Comment

yea i was just saying cuz there was no water in my lights.. but just to be safe im gana change them anyway. cheers guys!

Comment

Originally posted by DaRKNT View Post
                              Yeah... I had a pool in mine. Could have raised a couple of tadpoles in there...
                              How did u get the water out? I now have enough water to start my own amusement park.. its badddd..

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Motorculture mobile app

DC5-S

Comment

Working...
                              X