Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please!! Weird noise when steering

Hey guys,
    Was on the way home from work today and my car made a kinda thud kinda springy noise when I almost full locking my steering wheel going around a round-a-bout, its coming from the front of my car and it happens most of the time when steering hard left and right! Just wondering if anybody can help me figure out what it might be ! Thanks

It might be the cv
    CLEMENTE

Comment

I don't think it would be as it happens also when in parked if I turn the steering wheel

Comment

when you stuck your head under the wheel arch with a torch - what did you see?
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by pbk1776 View Post
          It might be the cv
          ^I'm with pbk1776, sounds like a CV joint. Or maybe power steering?

Comment

Hmmm, I recently installed coilovers which I should have mentioned, I'm thinking it could have something to do with that!

Comment

Originally posted by Jax-DC5R View Post
              Hmmm, I recently installed coilovers which I should have mentioned, I'm thinking it could have something to do with that!
              I doubt the coilover will make that sound, unless you did not put things back together properly and some loose screws in there - double check the mounting points of your coilover then and see if there are any loose points/screws

if not I am still going for the CV - this happened to me with my Euro before
              CLEMENTE

Comment

I'm thinking
                stop thinking and take the wheels off and HAVE A LOOK
                ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                  stop thinking and take the wheels off and HAVE A LOOK
                  I will when I get the timel

Comment

Did you adjust pre-load on the springs?

Comment

What's preload sorry? during the instal one of my mates changed the High of the car using the spring rather then the shock which I know is wrong so I changed it around but I wouldn't think that would be my problem!

Comment

First of all what coilovers did you purchase?
                        brand new or second hand?

Preload is adjusted (green arrow) This is the distance from the top of the spring to the 'spring perch'. The preload should be set to the appropriate length as recommended by manufacture. (Mine is 200mm front 150mm rear)

Red arrow is height adjustment.

Comment

are you running a differ wheel tire set up. Your tire by may be hitting something on full lock!
                          sigpic
                          128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

They are brand new silvers neo max from shift performance I have been recommends these by a few people!

My mate during the instal did adjust the Hight using the preload(I wasn't aware that was it's name) could that be causing this noise? Is it as easy to fix as re adjust it! I have had it lowered now using the proper Hight adjuster but the preload wouldn't be positioned the the exact same place when purchased like it should have!

Comment

Maybe your preload got undone and the spring is now loose. Check if the spring is snugged in.

Comment

Working...
                              X