Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping interior

Hi guys,

I was wanting to ask, the difficulty and amount of effort required into stripping the interior. Some of you might ask why and what i'm trying to achieve. I just like the appeal of a bare naked interior thats painted and looks clean. Not to mention that it does reduce weight, but thats not the driving reason. Also it saves me from putting all my other parts back into the vehicle. For a DC5, would there be much required? And also what sort of tools and items would I need to accomplish such task? (eg, solvents to remove anything)

Norm

Not hard, just time consuming

took awhile to strip my shell.

U could do most with a 8 -10" sockets and screwdrivers

Comment

other benefits include reduced risk of fire in a serious crash...

pretty sure the workshop manual would detail everything to do with the 'complex' type of clips you might encounter...

the tar-based sound deadening will need dry-ice and solvent to remove prior to re-painting...
      ... retired/

Comment

Ok. Sounds like this could be fun. I suppose nothing else could go wrong since I'm taking stuff out. The difficult part I could imagine is putting stuff back in correctly.

When you say tar-based sound deadening, is that the same as the material that's found in the corners of the shell? their more like silicone of some sort, and slightly rubbery.

Comment

nah, black shit - tar based, not silicone:

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1451673
          ... retired/

Comment

As already stated a decent small metric socket set should get most of it out, along with a couple of screwdrivers and some trim tools to pry clips out if you want to preserve them.

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
            nah, black shit - tar based, not silicone:

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1451673
            DC5Rs don't have any sound deadening on the inside of the floorpan as far as I know.

Comment

The rubbery stuff in the corners should be over the welds to protect from corrosion.
              Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
              http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

Originally posted by cartoon View Post
                The rubbery stuff in the corners should be over the welds to protect from corrosion.
                How do we get rid of those rubbery stuff?

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                  How do we get rid of those rubbery stuff?

Norm
                  I wouldn't remove the seam sealer on a car you like and want to keep for some time, it does serve to keep moisture out of the overlaps in the chassis and does add a small amount of rigidity.

Comment

DC5 isn't too bad to remove interior (except maybe the dash). It's usually a small bolt or plastic clip that will need to be pulled out.

Comment

Working...
                    X