Rim Size: Pros and Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
    An increase in drivetrain inertia, as in heavier wheels, will decrease the power that actually reaches the road surface and accelerates the car. So while the power of the engine hasn't decreased, the measurable power that the car can apply has.

Also it is pretty hard on most of our cars to decrease the track width when changing to a wider wheel because in many cases much more than an inch wider whilst maintaining OEM offset will result in interference issues between the wheel and suspension. So most people elect to go for a lower offset than OEM, thus widening the track.
    I thought about that (but then, I'm no engineer). I reasoned that the power/torque curve would move to the right, rather than flatten from loss of power, if that makes sense? In other words, takes more time to reach peak power/torque...and that's what we see in the real world right - slower acceleration?

And yes, agree that it's pretty hard to decrease track width given the stance craze. 20 years ago when we went wider, it typically fit within the guards - flaring or going widebody was rare.

It also depends on how wide you go. It would be interesting to actually measure that, given stock DC2R wheels are 6"? Going too wide would also increase leverage stresses on suspension, thus increasing wear and decreasing efficiency? I agree there's a point where it is optimised, but so many cars that are "stanced" must handle like crap!

Comment

Working...
    X