vinyl wrapping car question and thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinyl wrapping car question and thoughts

Hi guys, after giving my car a nice clean today and was admiring it in the glistening sun, I realised my paint isnt top notch LOL. I have been told by a couple mates to respray my car (its not that bad but my mates are princesses with cars) but I dont have the time nor the cash for a top quality paint job. Also bouncing in and out on whether I should sell it or not, I dont think forking out a couple thousand for a closed door job would be worth it. Now the paint isnt as bad as I put it. Very slight scratches etc, but being black it is visible and everytime I go out my friends love to point it out (i counted up 5 very very very minor scratches)

Now quite recently some complete idiot backed into me and jetted off at uni, leaving me a patch of paint missing, quoted $350 to respray the rear bar. Now my mate has a good supplier or decent quality vinyl wrap and can do it for me for free (no labour=win) so i was absolutely stoked. BUT he said there was only matte/flat colours he could get, so closest would be matte black. Honestly I love matte black but I dont know how it will look on a dc5, I've seen a couple online but its really hard to tell.

Can anyone shed some light on vinyl wrapping the complete car? Might be a long shot but Im actually considering it now since it would be quite unique. Now I know a fair bit of people dont like vinyl wrapping stuff and it seems as if im skimping out on my car and taking short cuts. But the amount of replica parts/wheels etc I see on nice cars today makes me think that wrapping is the next best thing and would be quite cool. Now if I hit the lotto or something and can afford a paint job that is top quality, i'll be on it straight away, but you all know how it is. My money goes towards petrol, food, feeding my dog that eats like a horse, and uni cr@p. So maybe if i put away $10 a week to save for a paintjob, I can get a decent one in 5 years LOL

Anyone know how these things last? How they go against weathering etc? Also your opinion on matte black vinyl wrapping? Or other alternatives?

My mate and I worked out we can do it over three days so if i come to a conclusion that I want the vinyl, it could probably be done within a month or two.

Thanks in advanced!

vinyl wrapping is a painful process but can come out quite nice....as for matte black i dont see why it would ugly, only question is wether the vinyl wrap ur mate is getting is high quality like the 3m ones which are uv protected and have excellent adhesion. vinyl wrap in matte black can still be scratched with a microfibre cloth, stains, acid rain patches can still occur. but if u get a good price and free labour, i think u be happy with it if ur mates pointing out scratches bothers u that much. ur other option can be paying the $350 which i think they wont be painting the whole bar and doing a blend and buffing and glazing the whole car. shop around and u might some1 who can blend the bar for a cheaper and get a good buff. shop around and calculate which will be cheapest. if ur mate has never done vinyl wrapping it might not turn out as great. my 2cents as a panel beater and spray panter.
    Dr.Phil(Honda) fully built K25 DC2 800kgs 190KWATW K-PRO tuned by Adrian@Toda
    EK9RX-B18CR-fully built head,I,H,E,C 131WKATW POWER FC tuned by Adrian(again ofcourse)
    Im a patient of Dr.Phil and Adrian

Comment

Tell your mates if it worries them so much why don't they get your car resprayed for you. Then you'll all be happy!
      S2000
      WSID : TBA
      Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
      Smooth As Detailing
      Incar Racing

Comment

lol yeh....5 minor scratches on a black car is immaculate to me
        EK9RX-B18CR-fully built head,I,H,E,C 131WKATW POWER FC tuned by Adrian(again ofcourse)

Comment

i dont believe ur princess mates cars dont have a scratch on them

Comment

They drive shitboxes hahaha! But it does get to me now. All my past cars looked like they just came out of the shop. The past owner clearly didnt look after it too munch hence there are minor blemishes. I know the wrap he is getting is UV protected and has a good weather degrees boundary. it definitely isn't 3M because thats the first thing I asked. I guess it would be pretty cool to see how a matte black dc5 turns out. But yeah, still in the thought process though. I think the only two options are wrapping it or just painting the bumper properly and forgetting about the other little blemishes. Thanks for your input ek9rx. and for flippit.. if only life was that easy and my friends had money pouring out of their ears! and damn right id be happy hahaha

Comment

I think a matte/satin black DC5 looks OK... I might be a bit biased though hehe

Mine is painted not wrapped though.

I was reading up on wrapping previously out of curiosity and after seeing some pictures of the applied vinyl close up I don't think you would be happy with it if you're fussy enough for some minor blemishes in your paint to get to you.

The vinyl is fairly thick to enhance durability and this means it cannot get in the small areas properly (such as where the a-pillar meets the front guards). Complex contours are also meant to be near impossible to do without some type of crease forming where the wrap changes direction or overlaps from cuts/folds.

The pics I saw where from multi-thousand dollar wraps done on supercars by pros that do it for a living so I would be thinking it would be something nigh impossible to get 100%

I'll see if I can find some links to the pics/theads I found ages ago with the close up pictures.

Oh and matte wrap is meant to be a very brittle finish as well meaning it can scratch easily. It also can't be polished otherwise it should be taken care of like normal paint (albeit using specialty care products).

Sorry for the essay but hopefully it helps you make a more informed decision.

Comment

I wrapped my bonnet and roof on my dc5r with carbon fibre wrap. Took 2 hours to do to each section
                Have a read of my build thread

Comment

Originally posted by itr5093 View Post
                  I wrapped my bonnet and roof on my dc5r with carbon fibre wrap. Took 2 hours to do to each section
                  Pics?

Comment

Wow your car looks awesome man. real nice! yeah i thought that'd be the case. yeah my mate has done it a couple times and says it isnt the most fun thing to do. its a ball breaker at those tricky parts as you mentioned. that'd be great if you can find some more links to pics/threads. cheers!

Comment

yeah my mate and i put out three days if i wanna go with this process. so 2hrs a panel doesnt suprise me too much haha. pics would be good! and what brand wrap did you use?

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, just been busy with uni. I'm not sure what brand i used, i bought the wrapping off a guy on skylines australia, and its really good stuff. Here are some pics

[IMG][/IMG]
                        Have a read of my build thread

Comment

^seen this in person and ordered my own off the same guy.
                          brilliant shit (stuff), enough said!
                          Project TOPLESS

Comment

Working...
                          X