Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint Care

Hey guys,

Was just doing some research as to how to approach paint care properly. I always have wondered what to do with the order, clay - wax - polish - swirl remover -wash?? and how to approach these things.

From what i have gathered it goes in this order:

1. wash > 2. clay bar > 3. swirl/scratch remover > 4 & 5 polish n wax (sometimes waxes have in-built polish)

Here is great write up on meguiars online forum (ignore the marketing and it's actually fantastic write up) that outlines this 5 step process.

I also found a few videos by Mike Phillips, a Megiuars detailing employee, who demonstrates and explains quite well what to do in each of the steps. Along with other videos by meguiars.

Washing your car properly:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372

How to Clay bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI&NR=1

Swirl and Scratch removers:

Swirl removing

Scratch removing

the difference between the two is slightly explained here

Just thought i would share this information.

Cordz
    Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

I'd do it like, wash, clay bar with the meguiars quick detailer (or hot soapy water from what I've read), then wash, dry then wax and polish
    Have a read of my build thread

Comment

Not bad tips in there, the grit guard looks good and the dual bucket dolly system.
      The best tip I found would be to not let the water sud up my carwash in the bucket as i'm filling it and add the wash into the bucket after it was full of water.

One thing he didn't touch on with drying though is: I have a purpose chamois that I use to get the water out of my door jambs, engine bay, boot space and fuel cap. I do this ritually when cleaning my car.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by justinfox
      You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
        One thing he didn't touch on with drying though is: I have a purpose chamois that I use to get the water out of my door jambs, engine bay, boot space and fuel cap. I do this ritually when cleaning my car.
        True that! always drive off after a good, thorough wash, and cringe after seeing water seeping from all the cracks!

I want a grit guard/dolly system, bloody video's make me want to spend so much on my car.

Great day in sydney for some car lovin' anyway
        Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

2 bucket system is a must! I also have 3 sponges. One for the body, one for the wheels, one incase I drop the one for the body lol
          Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
          http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

Dont always polish your car though, too much polish is bad since it can take away layers
            (depending which grit or cut it is). Do this like twice a year.

You can wash and wax anytime since it is safe, as long as the wax does not have polish in them too. Better car washes will be PH balanced so it wont wash off any wax you have put on previously and its less acidic.

The Mothers rep also mention to clay bar your car about every 4 months or so depending the conditions of your car, since we all drive through different areas and park in different places.
            Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

Swx

Comment

I'm just about to go buy myself a complete detailing kit. But i was just wondering on everyone's experience. I know not all products will work great with all cars and different people's opinions will differ.
                I was just going to ask, what Brand does everyone seem to stick with?
                I'm going to need a clay kit, swirl remover, polish and wax. Just wondering which products from what brands i should invest in?

Comment

Originally posted by rookie View Post
                  I'm just about to go buy myself a complete detailing kit. But i was just wondering on everyone's experience. I know not all products will work great with all cars and different people's opinions will differ.
                  I was just going to ask, what Brand does everyone seem to stick with?
                  I'm going to need a clay kit, swirl remover, polish and wax. Just wondering which products from what brands i should invest in?

I use mothers clay kit, that was the first one i used and I loved it left my car silky smooth
                  AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

Comment

mothers clay bar kit.
                    2 clays
                    1 microfire cloth
                    1 spray detailer

meguairs clay bar kit
                    1 clay
                    1 spray detailer

I've found that the spray detailer provided by megs was weaker than other companies such as black magic. When i was claying my car today and the megs detailer required me to rub on the dirty areas more than i needed. As soon as i switch to black magic's spray detailer, the job was easier and the black spots came off quicker. Next time im moving over to Mothers clay bar kit.

For wax im switching to Mothers carnuaba wax soon too, i've found that it was smoother than the Meguairs version.

Polish depends on what color/condition and age of your car.

Well thats my experience of the products i've used.
                    Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                      X