Timing belt service??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt service??

On another hand to the depressing luck my mate has had with thieves, my car needs needs a timing belt change.

I have contacted my mobile mechanic and he gave me a very good quote to replace it, but i don't trust he'll bring the right (quality) parts i might want. So i am trying source the parts myself, while enlisting his labor.

what parts do i need for a 100,000km service timing belt change?

- Timing belt
    - tensioner?
    - guide?

Secondly, where is best place to source them?

- oemacuraparts.com
    - Gates timing belt, ebay.com.au

Cheers lads
    Last edited by cordz; 23-04-12, 10:25 PM.
    Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

There isn't a guide, but you may as well replace the tensioner. I'd use OEM stuff sourced through OEMacuraparts, if you get a few things to save on shipping it is a fairly economical option. Change the water pump and the accessory belts too while you're at it, again use OEM stuff. No reason to get fancy aftermarket parts that are probably not made to the same quality standards as Honda.

Comment

If you purchase a Dayco or Gates timing belt kit, it will come with a new timing belt, cam & crankshaft oil control seals, new tensioner & idler pulley. I would also replace the water pump while you are in there so that you know you won't have to pull the belt off around the 150k mark to replace it.

Another thing I would think about would be to do a rocker cover gasket & valve clearances seeing you have to take off the rocker cover to do the timing belt.

Sourcing everything, you can buy online or go into your local Burson Auto Parts/Repco/whatever the business name is and buy it over the counter, just incase something isn't correct and you can change it over without any hassle and having to pay extra freight etc
      Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
      Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
      Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
      Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

My maintenance schedule for my DC2R says replace the timing belt at 80,000km or five years.
        I wonder why yours is difference Cordz?

Quote:
        Originally Posted by justinfox
        You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Probably going to wait to do the water pump at 150K, because right now i can't spend money to save money.

Yeh man, my log books say replace on the 100,000km service, but i'm going to double check now.
          Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

A water pump is $170 from Burson (including 5L of coolant concerntrate) if you do it now. If you do it at 150k service, it will be at least $400, as you have to pay a second lot of labour to remove timing belt and get into the water pump. I would save for an extra week and do it now
            Last edited by sleepingperformance; 25-04-12, 10:12 AM.
            Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
            Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
            Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
            Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
              Probably going to wait to do the water pump at 150K, because right now i can't spend money to save money.

Yeh man, my log books say replace on the 100,000km service, but i'm going to double check now.
              Let us know what yours says.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by justinfox
              You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Working...
              X