Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie needs help with bumpers + struts + possibly thrust bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs help with bumpers + struts + possibly thrust bearing?

Hey guys,
    Well I've been riding bikes for the past 3 years and have sold both of them and decided its time to get a car
    I had my mind set on either a itr or a 180/sil80/s13 as they're both sort of in my budget and good to take to the track later on(not to mention im on my green Ps)

Anyway went and saw a type r today, liked it and its priced pretty well too
    Just needed help with a few things first
    Firstly its been lowered a fair bit and has a body kit + 18 inch chrome wheels on it
    Not a fan of any of that, so I was wondering if people have a rough idea of how much/where I could get stock front & rear bumpers from?(current front bumper has a huge chunk missing as its too low)
    Also the guy has the stock struts but im wondering how hard it would be to swap them over at home?

And lastly the guy mentioned that his mechanic said one of the clutch or shifter bearings was on its way out, he wasn't too sure which one or what and didn't know much about it but said that he got quoted around 1000-1700 for it and the mechanic said it would be alright to ignore it and drive around for a while
    My old man didn't think there was anything really wrong with it, maybe a little hard to change gears but no slipping or anything
    Im not asking for an expert diagnosis or anything as its hard over the internet but maybe a rough idea of possible causes/what i'd have to do to fix it would be great?

Also I haven't bought it yet, just needed to figure out how much i'd have to spend on the car to get it right before I bought it

Thanks

What kind of sound Is the worn bearing making? Could possibly be ur clutch throw out bearing

Comment

I couldn't hear anything but the owner claims that its sort of like a rattle that goes away when the clutch is depressed
      I think you may be right about it being the throw out bearing
      Any idea what needs to be done to have it fixed?

Comment

If its the throw out bearing, the tranny had to be dropped. The throw out bearing is cheap. While you have it out you might as well change out the other bearings as well and do any other tranny mods that you are thinking of

Comment

Yeah, I had a bad throw out bearing, it makes a whirling sound and disappears when changing gears ( clutch pressed in ). it's such a pain that u have to drop the tranny just to replace a little bearing, I would advise if u want to upgrade ur clutch/flywheel do it now!!! Labour won't be cheap

Comment

Yeah if i was gonna get it done/do it i'd change the clutch and a few other bearings and seals at the same time
            Just trying to figure out if its worth buying the car or not

Comment

Working...
            X