Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumping noise HELP ME!

HI guys,

My car makes a hard thumping noise when it hits a bump and it's loud too.
    I have Buddy Club N+ Damper racing adjustable coilovers. What do you guys think it is. Could it be because the damper is too hard or too soft? it only happen on one side on the passenger rear of the coilovers, Help me out. The noise is driving me insane!!

Thanks
    Shaun

Have you physically looked at the dampers? Does it only occur only during bumps? How many k's has the coilovers had?

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
      Have you physically looked at the dampers? Does it only occur only during bumps? How many k's has the coilovers had?

Norm
      its only happen when i go over humps and dips and im not sure how many had it done cos i just got the car but it been install about 4 months ago and i have not look at the dumpers yet

Comment

Check your coilovers to see whether there is any oil leakage. Also check to see whether all bolts are intact. Check over your bushings to make sure their not cracked. Check your engine mounts as well while your at it making sure their all in tact, especially your transmission mount.

Check your exhaust cat region to see nothing has fractured.

Some times looking can do more for you than just asking.

Norm

Comment

Found screwed bushes on your sway bar do this.. Bad knocking noise
          sigpic
          128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

i had a look at it a week ago no oil is leaking and i check all the bolts and its all tight but i did some research today and going to have a look at the brushing is alright hope to get it fix soon =(

Comment

Check that your perches are tight ... that is common among coilovers to come loose and make noises. If not that, just keep troubleshooting the common issues ...

Comment

Removed -
                Last edited by JDMaccessories; 29-03-12, 10:01 AM.

Follow us on Facebook

Visit our new website

Comment

Originally posted by JDMaccessories View Post
                  Coil-overs always have the thumping noise when you hit a pothole or a bump...
                  That is quite the statement! In my experience that isn't true when I hit bumps (I avoid potholes, car is low).
                  There are other noises from the car though because race car.
                  ClubITR | Like

Comment

This is caused because the Shock has no penetration to take the ditch and it compresses to much very rapidly.
                    WTF?

Shock has no penetration? What is the shock supposed to be penetrating?
                    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I think he may be referring to shocks bottoming out?

Check bumpstops. Perhaps the damper has leaked out and it doesnt dampen at all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
                      Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
                      Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
                      Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

normally it doesnt make thumping noise whether its on hard or soft setting.

maybe it needs a rebuild?

Comment

Coil-overs always have the thumping noise when you hit a pothole or a bump, This is caused because the Shock has no penetration to take the ditch and it compresses to much very rapidly.
                          It happens with new Coil-overs and old ones,
                          this is 'normal'? even on new coil-overs?

Marcus - check the original post more carefully before you post such unusual responses, it says:

Originally posted by DC5 View Post
                          HI guys,

My car makes a hard thumping noise when it hits a bump and it's loud too.
                          it only happen on one side on the passenger rear of the coilovers,
                          is it 'normal' to only happen on the rear passenger side only? no.

if you ARE talking about generally hitting the bumpstops, then it is off topic, and the solution to this problem is to 'drive to the conditions' - if you are regularity hitting your bumpstops, you are driving too fast...

OP - the way to check is to get the car up and detach the shock and move the arms to locate any loose area, when the shock is attached and the suspension is under tension - it can mask the loose area ...
                          ... retired/

Comment

Point taken removing post now tinker your always one to pick up on peoples opinions and hats off to you

and @ munkaii that is exactly what I was referring to, Just trying to help out with some Technical advice but its a little hard to do with a keyboard
                            Last edited by JDMaccessories; 29-03-12, 10:04 AM.

Follow us on Facebook

Visit our new website

Comment

To add to the above, Buddy Club DC5 rear dampers have a history of having failed lower bushing, which could result in a sound like the one you describe. There is a DIY on ClubRSX, I will find it and update this post with the link.

Comment

Working...
                              X