Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People's opinion about running 5-10mm spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People's opinion about running 5-10mm spacers?

I have been looking at a certain set of rims that are at a decent price but id like them a tad wider. I know I know I should just look for a set of rims that are perfect fitment, but we all know how hard that is. I just wanted to see how people find slip on spacers? 10mm MAX as i dont want to buy extended pins (i dont know what they are called, so i shall call them pins). safety? not for track, just for daily driving though. They are only $25 bucks but i dont want it to screw around with my car and worst or all, failing. Thanks all

i think bolt on spacers is a minimum, slip on spacers are a bit dangerous?
    Project TOPLESS

Comment

they are called studs.

if you dont want to extend them, dont get spacers...
      ... retired/

Comment

If the dc5 have the same studs as the ep3, the 10mm spacers will be bad. I used to run 5mm slip on spacers on my oem wheels and tried 10mms too but there was not enough thread on the stud to screw the nuts back on.
        Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

I use 3mm spacers on my eg racecar at the front atm, as a sheer last resort as my dc2r calipers fouls the 6UL wheels I have ( they have f-all caliper clearance with their dish design optimised for MX5s ; stock fat fives have heaps ).

atm I have 4.5 turns which some say it's the bare minimum of threads contact avail.

either get extended studs 1st or get the bolt on spacers which take cares of the stud length problem, but they are heavy with the additional mass of extra nuts, not cheap, and comes in 25, 30, 40mm thickness usually.
          Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

i've seen 12mm bolt ons around on ebay!
            Project TOPLESS

Comment

i wouldnt touch ebay though lol. There was a dood from WA selling brand new H&R 15mm spacers for 120 with the hub adaptors for the hondas. He was on the forum and i would of got them but ive already got the whole set lol.
              Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

hmm i think bolt ons at 15mm may be too much. how much do extended studs usually go for?

Comment

Extended ARP studs very well priced given their strength.

Bought mine from xenocron landed for $120 from memory for 16qty.

Once you got those and try diff thickness of spacers ie 5mm, 6mm, 10mm etc to work out which works best you should then look into getting hubcentric spacers made or off the shelf from H&R.
                  Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Don't buy ebay cheap. Buy a trusted brand. Make sure they are hub centric whether slip on or bolt. Or you will feel your wheel swobble in your steering wheel at high speeds. Make sure you check them regularly for loose nuts or u die lol
                    The Gun Metal DC5R

Comment

i Run 20mm on my race car. works fine

Comment

Originally posted by riced_civic View Post
                        i Run 20mm on my race car. works fine
                        what studs?
                        ... retired/

Comment

H&R 20mm Kit front

H&R 10mm Kit Rear

Comment

Buying better offset wheels is the best option out there.

With slip-on (floating) spacers, you need to check how much thread you will lose as a result of running floating spacers. I'm not sure what the minimum thread requirements are, but if you're running slip-ons, I would torque them up as best I could.

Bolt-on spacers allow you to get higher offset wheels yes, but they place significant bending load on the studs (this is what causes them to snap). ARP extended studs I believe have been designed to take significant bending load, however running massively long studs + floating spacers = big loads on the studs.

I think OEM studs are pretty well designed for their strength. The question is how many threads should you need until you feel safe that they won't come loose?

Having said that, if you run bolt on spacers you expose yourself to the same risk of snapping bolts as you would with ARP extended studs (assuming similar strength design). So really, the question is, how much stronger are ARP studs?
                            Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
                            Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
                            Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

agree with you, but

Originally posted by munkaii View Post
                              So really, the question is, how much stronger are ARP studs?
                              or maybe - who has (over)torqued your wheel studs previously?

brand new ARP > old OEM
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X