REVIEW: Bridgestone RE002.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REVIEW: Bridgestone RE002.

Hello all , let me introduce alittle about my car - 2003 EP3 civic type R.
    Nice and all for a daily - no real modifications - perfect point to point FWD. Rated up there as one of the best hot hatches of all time. I really do agree.

Anyway. I purchased the car a good 6 months ago harnessed with the power of nankang NS2's. While these do great to drive your car from here to right over there - one track day at Wakefield park taught me that 1. heat effects tyres quick smart and 2.track work teaches you the limits of your tyres long before the limits of your car.

I stumbled upon these Bridgestone RE002 in OEM size. I have had their predecessors - RE001 on a past EG hatchback running basically the guts of a DC2R and liked them quite abit. I had them for approx. 2 years which included daily driving mixed up with occasional spirited spurts through the hills of North Hornsby and Southern Sydney.
    A few WSID drag nights and a handful of Wakefield race days and i handed the car over to a friend who tells me the tyres still are holding strong to this day.

Enough about them - it does make you think though. New tyre , so much to hold up high. Can it last ? Can it give the driver into more feedback more confidence in both the daily commute and a good old fashioned thrash ? Thats the point of this review.

I cant tell you more than an initial response as its literally been less than 500kms on these tyres. First few days of driving I noticed a steady grip level on any surface and any condition up to "pushing" point. These tyres feel sturdy and planted and I was impressed with dry performance and wet driving. At a guess this is to do with the slightly softer compound that i recall of the old RE001 (great in the dry but iffy in the wet) and the slightly wider water dispersing grooves in the tread.
    I do worry as to the real wear rates as they are definitely softer than the older RE001s - in my case this wont be a major issue as i dont have a massive drop on coilovers but this is something to consider for people in slammed rides. Camber and toe WILL kill tyres !

Generally speaking I wouldnt push them for atleast 1000kms but I have a feeling they will shine with alittle heat in them - heading down to wakefield raceway next week (16/8/11) and hope to put a full day of hooning in. Before i could hold 2-3 hot laps without any major sliding and had to provoke the car into major over or under steer.

So , lets see how it goes !

------------------------------

UPDATE 1/10/11

An update for those interested -

Taken the car down south to Bulli - a mixed drive which covers most elements short of sleet/snow
    The tyres themselves , are sharp in all situations from 0-legal speed , zipping around town to highway use. Ive noticed they are fairly sharp turn in in all low to medium speed handling regards too.
    In light rain/post rain the tyres feel just on the limit of adhesion but JUST stick in legal limits and normal light pushing situation , but id bet they would slide the instant a touch too much speed is taken into a turn.

Nice review!
    ClubITR | Like

Comment

how much do these tyres cost approximately?

Comment

My set of 4 was around 245 a corner I think

Comment

Originally posted by ITR032 View Post
          how much do these tyres cost approximately?
          Depending what size in inches you are getting?! Anywhere as little as $120ish up to i'd say $350ish
          S2000
          WSID : TBA
          Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
          Smooth As Detailing
          Incar Racing

Comment

Working...
          X