Renaultsport Clio 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renaultsport Clio 200

i was reading with interest in evo magazine about the Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup, being referred to as the Porsche 911GT3RS of hatches, top5 eCoty in 2009, etc etc
    im surprised it has managed to perform so well as an FF sports car without an LSD?!

keeping in mind Evo rated the DC2R as best FF sports car and one of the best drivers cars ever a few years ago, i would LOVE to know how our Integras compare with the newer Clio. (on paper the clio has a slight power and torque advantage but an extra ~110kg to lug. it has a newer,i'm guessing stiffer, chassis, but no LSD and a simple beam axle rear vs the Integra's double wishbone)

has anyone driven/owned one and could they shed some light on this matter?
    "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

10/10 Renault owners I knew they all fell in love with the styling and handling at first

and then after 1 or 2 yr sold their cars and swore never buy another Renault again due to poor reliability...
    Honda Integra DC2R natural aspired K20A

2010 CAMS Supersprint (NSW) Type 3B champion |EC: 1:46.9280|WP: 1:07.694|Winton: 1:38.614

Comment

I think I might be able to shed some light here.

As someone who has formerly owned both a DC2R and a DC5R followed by my current car, an 03 RS Clio 172, I'll have to say the Clio is an extremely impressive package.

For starters, the engine is just amazing. I remember going from the B18 to the K20 and thinking "Phwoar, that's a massive increase in down low torque!" That was the feeling I had when I jumped into the Clio for the first time after driving the DC5 to the initial inspection. The power is just SO much more usable than the K20's, and it pulls well all the way to redline. That's not to say the on-vtec feel of the DC2R is anything to scoff at, in fact I really miss it.

To give an idea as far as straight line speed goes, the Clio runs even with an I/H/E modded DC5R. On the track, a dead stock Clio 182 with a rear alignment issue driven by my mate on his first time ever at the track was able to run a 64 flat on the QR sprint circuit. Members of the OzRenault forum have pushed their Clio 182s to 62 seconds with a set of RE55s, a panel filter and some front camber bolts.

When pushed to the limit, the Clio is very forgiving. Point it in the direction you want to go and the back will come around nicely. I found the DC2R to have a bit more of a bite, especially with bracing in the rear. The LSD is unnecessary IMO as the Clio puts it's power down quite nicely and stock for stock, I honestly don't think I could get the DC2 to outlap my 172.

Now I realise the initial question was about the Clio 200, but just to give you an idea, the 200 has far better brakes and years of chassis and engine development on the old Clio and the Type-Rs. It outperforms my Clio in every way.

In regards to poor reliability, I've had no issues at all. If you service them properly I wouldn't see why one would have any issues? I'd spent far more on the Hondas than I have after a year with my Clio on fixing things.

The DC2R, while an amazing car, fails to outperform the Renault. Still, the Honda has something about it that makes me want another. The overall package and drive is exquisite yet I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to sell this Clio.

Comment

I love my Honda's "BEST"
        But i'm always looking at the other car makes to see what they have to offer in comparison.
        Yes, I do say the Clio has some good things about it, 1 being more Torque which our Honda's lack! Also wider Track?
        But this is only my opinion

Comment

Working...
        X