Stone chip repairer for windscreens?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stone chip repairer for windscreens?!

Coming back home today from work on the highway, I heard a loud *CRACK* noise from outta nowhere.

Found out a stone went flying towards my front windscreen causing it to leave a small chip there. It ain't big or anything, it's barely noticeable but it kinda bugs me knowing that there's a chip there!

... which comes to the question, can you guys reccomend where I can get a small repair job? O'brien quoted me $98 and said I shouldn't bother... but I'm the kinda person who wants everything to be perfect lol

Any past experiences with 'Instant Windscreen' as they also do chip repairs .. are they reputable?

edit: I just realised I posted this in the wrong section!
    Last edited by ryan_GTI; 24-10-06, 03:37 AM.
    sif it's a girls car
    sigpic

MMMM, same thing happened to me.

You got 2 choices , 1st get it repaired, 2nd get a new aftermarket windscreen which is around 220 fitted

I'll leave it until you can replace the whole thing

Erik

Comment

Thing is, I don't wanna get a aftermarket windscreen as it's going to depreciate the car even more in the future. The factory fitted windscreens has the logo of the make on the bottom right.

Think I'll have to deal with it like a man and try ignore it lol ... this sucks bigtime ><
      sif it's a girls car
      sigpic

Comment

To be honest, there is no point keeping the windscreen.

the value will depreciate more if you sell it as it is, and maybe 2 out of 10 people will spot that it's a non genuine windscreen.

I don't see any different between a genuine VW and aftermarket one except one has VW stamp on it.

Comment

Say, If i do decide to patch up the chips - while leaving my original windscreen on, hows the quality of the repaired work? Is it obvious that it's been patched up or is it good as new?

If it looks kinda dodgey, I might take your advice and wait 'til it gets worst and possibly change it to aftermarket windscreen if i must...
          sif it's a girls car
          sigpic

Comment

I did not change mine because the windscreen shop will basically cut out the crack spot and replace it with some sort of glue or silicon.

It won't look the same as original but it is better than a crack if you are fuzzy :P

If you decide to patch it up, don't drag it too long with maximum of 2 months time after the windscreen cracked according to the guy that I've spoken to due to some reason that I can't recall now.

Comment

Its a good idea to get cracks as least stop drilled cos they can spread futher
              F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

where is the stone chip?? if its near one of the 4 corners, you could use your rego sticker to cover it.....Or just get a CLUBITR sticker to cover it. JDM YO!
                For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

Hmm.. but the chip on my windscreen doesn't look deep enough to cause any future cracking, its like pretty tiny - just thought I'd get it fixed 'cos it annoys the heck outta me! Think I should take a picture to show you guys how petty it is lol

The clubitr sticker would make me the coolest kid in town! ... ima order one
                  sif it's a girls car
                  sigpic

Comment

too bad there's no sign of stickers yet...

i've been way too busy to chase it up, and the guy that said he would do it for me has been busy too with shell and v-power stickers.

hoping to get it done soon though.
                    T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

what insurance company you insure with ryan? I got a free windscreen replacement once a year without affect my rating with shannon......some of them have similar offer i reckon....you may wanna to check it out.....
                      BTW....I am in for the sticker as well....hope that happen soon....
                      Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                      1)ブレーキを踏む
                      2)クラッチを切る
                      3)シフトダウンしなから、
                        アクセルをぶかす
                      4)クラッチをつなぐ
                      :blah:
                      インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                      人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Yeah I heard about the free yearly window replacements but I'm not sure if my insurance offers the same.

I'm currently with RACQ and it doesn't say on their site whether they do such thing, though I might give them a call if my windscreen gets another chip or something.

Right now my chip is just aethetics, won't lead to cracking I don't think.
                        sif it's a girls car
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_GTI View Post
                          Yeah I heard about the free yearly window replacements but I'm not sure if my insurance offers the same.

I'm currently with RACQ and it doesn't say on their site whether they do such thing, though I might give them a call if my windscreen gets another chip or something.

Right now my chip is just aethetics, won't lead to cracking I don't think.
                          Even though the chip is small, the crack will eventually getting bigger and it will store dirt inside the hole.

In the future, you won't be able to fix it because of that.

If you want to fix it, do it asap but if you want to replace it in the future you might as well leave it.

I can't be bothered fixing/replacing mine as *touch wood* it might happen again.

Comment

hey, I may be wrong but to my understanding in repairing these chips, huge amount of pressure is applied to the spot causing the glass to become thinner which will weaken the glass and this will not be pleasant upon impact should anything happen

Comment

Yeah I think I should leave it as it is, since chances of happening again are pretty high.

But anyways, bumped in to this product on ebay and it seems like something worth trying out. This will save me spending $90 for a slight touchup.

Any experiences with products like this? abit of a gimmick? 'By the looks of it, it seems pretty effective:
                              http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CRACKATTACK-W...QQcmdZViewItem
                              sif it's a girls car
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X