DY1973 - Review: Exedy Hyper Single Clutch & Innovative Engine Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DY1973 - Review: Exedy Hyper Single Clutch & Innovative Engine Mounts

I've fallen in love again with my DC5r after these 2 upgrades ....

Exedy Hyper Single Clutch

I was in the market for a clutch & flywheel since my clutch was due for replacement and thanks to Turbo81, I bought the Hyper Single clutch kit off him. Initially the clutch bites as hard as a pit bull on steriods and ripped my driver side engine mount within a week and a couple of embarassing stalls . After 1000kms, it has worn in and is not a problem to live with day to day. The lighter flywheel(dunno how much they weigh) has also made a noticeable improvement in response and rev climb. Definitely a highly recommended mod or upgrade. Even the 6th gear at 100km/h response in acceleration as you stab a little more juice is sweet. Hyper Single is not noisy at all with hardly any chatter. Can expect to experience shuddering during downshifts if you are not rev-matching. Another thing I experienced after install is that you need to let the ECU get used to the lighter flywheel(I think), the revs can come down so low that it stalls from hard deceleration. After a while this effect goes away.

Innovative Engine Mounts

As one of my mounts broke, I had to shop around for one. I decided to go with these after reading so much good reviews bout em from the folks in the US. I was deciding between these and the Mugen kit but seeing the Mugen ones are really OEM mounts with harder rubber and about the same price(landed), I went with the Innovative. I did considered Hasport but they only make the rear mount for RSX/DC5.
    Details and pics of the Innovative mounts can be found in this link: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=373105. Ordered directly from Innovative and took 4 days to arrive.

Just had it installed this afternoon, took about 3 hours as the passenger side took a little longer than expected. When the mechanic hopped in to drove it towards the hoist, I could see the front wheel moving a lot on clutch engagement on stock mounts. No wonder I had such bad wheel hops in wet weather after the Hyper Single.

Initial feel after install, minimal cabin vibrations. You can hardly feel them except through the steering wheel. Throttling with the hood up, you cannot see the engine move at all. They looked and felt solid. With a bit of time after settling in, I believe the minute cabin vibrations will reduce to a level you'll hardly notice them. The only annoying vibrations are now coming off the carbon fibre hood, that should be easily solved.

My God, the whole feel to the driving experience combined with improved clutch kit/lightened flywheel has improved so much better than stock drivetrain/mounts. After the mounts, I immediately noticed that the engine/exhaust note sounds slightly louder in the cabin but with a lower note. I love it!!! .
    As expected, wheel hop is no longer a concern and power is transmitted more effectively.

Good Review. U sound in love again. hehe

Ill be doing similar mods soon. My left Engine mount is about to go Bang and my clutch is saying "No grip, Sorry!"

Comment

Me too...big to the mounts.....if you need one you can ask stephen...he got 2 sets for sell....
      Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
      1)ブレーキを踏む
      2)クラッチを切る
      3)シフトダウンしなから、
        アクセルをぶかす
      4)クラッチをつなぐ
      :blah:
      インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
      人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Who got 2 sets for sale? username?

Comment

Originally posted by 3r1k View Post
          Who got 2 sets for sale? username?
          Here:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=412
          Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

Oh and here as well:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=503
            Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

whtdc2......just pm him.....
              Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
              1)ブレーキを踏む
              2)クラッチを切る
              3)シフトダウンしなから、
                アクセルをぶかす
              4)クラッチをつなぐ
              人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Ha Ha Ha

I have the race version Innovative engine mounts....

The torque transfer to the wheels is AMAZING....

It's also AMAZING how much the interior of my car resembles a JACK-HAMMER!!!

The price to pay for no compromise performance

Comment

be careful .......if you use the race version may stuff up ur knock sencer.....that happen to my mate....
                  Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                  1)ブレーキを踏む
                  2)クラッチを切る
                  3)シフトダウンしなから、
                    アクセルをぶかす
                  4)クラッチをつなぐ

Comment

nice write-up!
                    i think it's time for me to do something to make me fall in love with the car again too.

i just saw there's a billet version too!
                    Last edited by tofu; 11-09-07, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I recently got a Excedy clutch and Toda flywheel put in my car... still to try it out... but after reading that... i can't wait. After doing a little research... most after market flywheels weigh about 3.5-4kg... which is alot better then the stock 9ish kg.

Best way for me to fall in love with my car again was to have it off the road for 10 weeks.... and counting... omg it's going to be SSOO fun driving it after havign to drive a Suziki Vitara for the last 2 months

Comment

Working...
                      X