J's Racing Tie Rods - Install and Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J's Racing Tie Rods - Install and Impressions

Hi all, I am pretty bored and there is has been some interest in DC5 tie rods on the forums lately so I thought i would share my experience with the install and the product.

I obtained some coilovers recently and realised that to run my desired alignment settings I would need shorter tie rods. Due to the significant camber I had at the front of my car I was running out of thread on the stock tie rods before I could even get close to zero toe. This led me to order some J's Racing reinforced tie rods (thanks yonas at JDMyard). Special thanks to Mugsee for all the photos in this post.

The new shorter tie rods side by side with the stock tie rod:

Install
    This is my experience with the install and I ccan take no responsibility for any mischief that anyone gets into attempting it .
    Stuff I used for the install:
    Two different adjustable spanners (10in and 12in)
    Two pairs of vice grips ( big and small)
    A 1/2 inch drive torque wrench
    A tie rod end puller (I bought mine from Burson or something)
    A 1/2" drive socket set (only 12 14 and 19mm are used for this install I think)
    A Hammer

The install was relatively easy. The general steps are as follows (Sorry I don't have more pics I was trying to get my car back together as quickly as possible):

1. After slightly loosening the front wheel nuts and removing my bulky front strut bar I jacked up the front of the car and placed it on jack stands. I then removed the front wheels. To make access to the tie rods easier I also removed the stock mid brace that runs along the back of the engine bay just below the steering rack and also removed the heat shield that attaches to this brace.

2. I then removed the cotter pins from the tie rod ends and undid and removed the nuts (19mm) from the ends. I then used a tie rod puller to pop the tapered section of the tie rods out of the steering arm.

3. The next step I did was to bend back the stock lock washers that are on the steering rack ends of the tie rods. For this task I used a hammer and a screwdriver and some pliers and vice grips and just kept unleashing the fury on them until they were relatively flat. The picture below shows what they look like after they are removed .

4. Once the washers are bent back the tie rods can be undone from the steering rack. For this I used a 12" adjustable spanner whilst holding the steering bracket in place with a pair of vice grips. The steering bracket with the tie rods removed is shown below:

5. Once the stock tie rods were removed install of the j's was reverse of the removal. Be sure to torque the tie rods to the correct 54Nm and install new cotter pins. Also remember to replace the lock washers on the steering bracket end of the tie rod and bend them over fully, I used my jack handle and a hammer . The new tie rods installed but without the tabs on the lock washers bent are pictured below:

6. Once you are finished the it should look something like this, but your tie rod ends may or may not be inverted.

Impressions

Overall I am pretty happy with the tie rods. They were well made, came with all the required hardware and solved my problem. I would recommend them to anyone with a dc5 who wants to run a good amount of camber for track use. I investigated other tie rod ends that were shorter but all of the ones available are designed to be used inverted, which would be no use to me since my suspension forces me to run the tie rods inverted.

Here is what my alignment looked like before it was corrected:

And this is how ghetto your car can look if you choose to be as silly as me:

great write up - but now i have a question:

if all you needed was shorter rods, could you have simply just got the old rods cut down and re-threaded on a lathe to make them shorter...?
    ... retired/

Comment

then he couldnt put a J's racing sticker Tinks... haven't you learnt from the many ramblings on this forum?
      'freakygeek is the stig'

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
        great write up - but now i have a question:

if all you needed was shorter rods, could you have simply just got the old rods cut down and re-threaded on a lathe to make them shorter...?
        Yes I did consider that but I was reluctant to modify an integral suspension part and I also wanted the swap in swap out ability to go back to stock. If I had modded the stock rods when it came time to return my height and alignment to stock I may have been out of luck.

You are correct though modifying the stock tie rods was definitely a valid option . At least the DIY is the same .

Comment

Great write up Tom....love ur work.....I'm still undecided.....what should I get....J's or M&Ms.........
          Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
          1)ブレーキを踏む
          2)クラッチを切る
          3)シフトダウンしなから、
            アクセルをぶかす
          4)クラッチをつなぐ
          :blah:
          インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
          人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

very good write up...would do this first mod if i owned a dc5r
            BYP Racing & Developments
            Built. Tuned. Driven
            Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Yikes! -5' camber for street??? Respect to you sir.

Nice review.

Comment

nice tom

-5 hahahaha crazy mofo
                Vivid Blue Integra Type-S
                "When I grow up I want camber like TeamMR."
                sigpic
                itr_***@hotmail.com says: (10:43:08 PM)
                send that cock breath back to the land of the stuffed turkeys

Comment

he want -5.5 ........
                  Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                  1)ブレーキを踏む
                  2)クラッチを切る
                  3)シフトダウンしなから、
                    アクセルをぶかす
                  4)クラッチをつなぐ
                  :blah:
                  インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                  人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

nice but -5..... LOL

Comment

do you have alignment specs after your install?
                      what setting are you running now?

Comment

Well according to his avatar, chicks digs mega camber!

Comment

Chargers car got hit in an accident which is why his struts are now bent and he runs so much camber.

Tofu: ~ -4.6 both sides. Btw, I'll give you a call over the weekend.
                          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

wow that is unfortunate that his car got hit.

mugsee: I have a wedding to go to on Saturday. Part of the bridal party..so sunday might be a better time...

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
                              wow that is unfortunate that his car got hit.

mugsee: I have a wedding to go to on Saturday. Part of the bridal party..so sunday might be a better time...
                              Mugsee is kidding about accidents causing my camber :P. My camber has always been slightly uneven across the car even before some crazy lady ran a red and ploughed into the front left of my car.

I used a pair of ingalls camber bolts to adjust the camber slightly. Here is what my alignment looks like now:

Camber:
                              FL: -4.64 FR: -4.67
                              RL: -2.46 RR: -2.72

Toe:
                              Front: 0
                              Rear: 3mm total toe in
                              Last edited by ChargeR; 30-03-08, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X