Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: DC5R modified stock mounts (polyutherane filled)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review: DC5R modified stock mounts (polyutherane filled)

As some of you might have already seen my other review, the short of it is that ESMM add performance to the car by reducing wheel hop but take away from comfort by adding a lot of vibrations, which is why I decided to take out the ESMM and put in some polyutheraned stock mounts back in place to see if these would accomplish the same effect as aftermarket branded mounts.

Having already had a close inspection of the construction of the stock DC5R front mount, its easy to see why our engines move and flex alot when under load. There is plenty of gap inside each mount as the mounts are not solid, and the rubber itself in the actual mount is not stiff at all, providing it with plenty of room for movement. Seeing how the ESMM filled out the stock mounts nicely and reduced its movement makes it easy to realise that the stock mounts aren't hard to improve on - fill up the gaps inside, so that the mounts don't provide as much flex for the engine when under load and overfill a little bit on the sides so that the mounts fit more snug inside the stock mounting position, however don't overfill to the point where they touch the mounting brackets and transfer vibrations like the ESMM do. Thats a big no-no.

Polyutherane is a rubber like liquid sealant that comes in small tubes - think about something like Selleys No-Gaps or something like that. Other people choose to use Sikaflex, however whatever it is, its basically all the same - a soft rubberish compound that hardens when dried and provides a bit of flex when pushed.

I bought some stock mounts from whtdc2 (Thanks Stephen!) and it just so happened that Wayne had some left over polyutherane that he was intending to use with another friends' DC2 mounts, so he offered that to me to use in the meantime. I can't remember off the top of my head what grade hardness it was and I'm sure Wayne can fill you in on that later on, but it was a white coloured polyutherane made by Selleys which we bought from Bunnings for around about $16/tube. Each tube has enough compound to poly up two mounts easily, so you can get away with using two tubes for each sets of engine mounts (4 mounts in total).

Wayne did the filling up because he'd already done it for his mounts for his DC2 a couple of weeks ago. The general process was: fill up from the middle of the mount with the nozzle of the gun under the liquid poly at all times. This eliminates the chance of getting airbubbles. I then tried to smooth out the poly with my fingers and a pair of gloves after the mount had been filled. NOTE: use gloves! The stuff is hard to get off fingers!

For the front and rear mount, I used a softer compound and for the right side mount, I used a harder compound. The thought behind this was that the vibrations are transferred into the cabin from the front and rears when the engine is flexing so to minimise vibrations, go as soft as possible.

During the first weekend of the install, I only managed to get the front mount in before we decided to do something else and call it a day. With the front mount in only, the car produced very minimal extra vibrations from stock however I could immediately tell that the mounts had made a small bit of difference in the field of response. When launching the car, I managed to wheel hop a little bit but the difference was much better than with the stock mounts.

About two weekends after, I managed to get the rear and right side mount in after a grueling session under the car. The difference and feel was more obvious and like the ESMM, the engine produced even less flex when under load. The engine feels a lot more responsive now and after trying to launch my car, I just get plenty of wheelspin... awesome... Vibrations are barely a smidge over stock - the only obvious factor is the feedback from the steering wheel which I would compared to 1/10th of what the ESMM felt like. When the aircon is turned on, the vibrations are slightly more accented but nothing like what the ESMM or even Innovatives are like for that matter (comparing to Airbox23) Driving the car feels a pleasure again and would highly reccomend this mod to anyone who DIYs their own car

I personally love this mod as it gives the same kind of performance as upgraded mounts but with barely any discomfort factor.

Comments Wayne? Whats your opinion when compared to the ESMM and stock type S?
    Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

I too have had both ESMM and polyurethane filled mounts.

The poly filled mounts felt much smoother while still providing enough firmness

Comment

awsome write up!
      i think i'll do this first before i look at buying Mugen mounts
      so you did all the mounts except the liquid filled mount (one next to the ABS)?

Comment

awesome......if you let me know b4 I change mine......but mine sit in well now....not vibrate as much..but I reckon urs will feel more street friendly......
        Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
        1)ブレーキを踏む
        2)クラッチを切る
        3)シフトダウンしなから、
          アクセルをぶかす
        4)クラッチをつなぐ
        :blah:
        インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
        人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
          awsome write up!
          i think i'll do this first before i look at buying Mugen mounts
          so you did all the mounts except the liquid filled mount (one next to the ABS)?
          Yep - just those 3 mounts. I know that Innovative include a solid version of that liquid filled mount but I'm not too sure about the advantages of filling it. I think I'll leave it for the moment and if I find the need for more vibrations/stiffer mounts, I might fill it in later on.

Definitely a worthwhile mod especially if you're already considering going (soft) aftermarket mounts - it only cost me less than $50 to fill up my stock mounts! You've just gotta make sure that you can let the polyutherane cure for around 3 days before putting the mounts back into the car.
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

^ hey mugs...wanna do my mounts?

Comment

hhmm.... i'll have the car sitting around for a while... and i'll have new honda front and rear engine mounts sitting around.

I might give this a shot....

Comment

Noice write up Mugsee..

i dont know how much extra comment i can add in.. as i dont think quite got the same result on my car.. then again i rarely launch it neway haha..

But yeh i never liked the EMSS inserts..

But for now i have yet to replace my Dc2 rear mount.. we cant quite work out how to get it out without having to drop a whole engine =P..

so i have only polyed up my 4 side mounts which made a difference but not enough for me to relise on the street.

on a DC2 the biggest difference comes from rear mounts so i guess ill have to comment when i finally get that one in =P..
                Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
                some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
                Originally posted by tinkerbell
                if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
                A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
                Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

haha shin took a pic of me with my OLD broken mount and a "NEW" (actually broken but i fixed it) poly mount !

man my jumper looks cleaner in the photo than it does when i wear it =P...

Left New OEM mount, Right Old broken mount (thats the one i used to poly up to put in my car)

Mind you all of these are Dc2 mounts but Dc5 one are the same.. prettymuch =P
                  Last edited by Wlee2; 13-08-07, 02:12 PM.
                  Memorable quotes

Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

So which compound (ie, model) did you use?
                    happyhong says:
                    aus only have 3 r
                    happyhong says:
                    civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
                      So which compound (ie, model) did you use?
                      Selley all purpose Gap filler in the "strong and Flexible" compound..

i actually forget its name.. but i got a tube of it left at home..

between me and Mugsee he did 3 mounts.. i filled 7 mounts all up 10 mounts

with 4 tubes.. each tube range from 16 bucks to 17 bucks depending on the stiffness

3 tubes were "strong and flexible"
                      2 tubes were "highly Flexible"

so we mixed and matched.. ie i did

Highly flexible for my rear mount
                      Highly Flexible for the 2 side smaller mounts
                      Strong and flexible for the 2 side Main mounts

i think mugsee did similar

front and rear were highly Flexible
                      and side was strong and flexible

and i got 3 mounts filled at home waiting for our friend to put in his car =P..
                      Memorable quotes

Comment

sorry to bring the old thread back up

going 2 do this pretty soon to my mounts

so does this product have an actually name?
                        19,000 rpm still going

Comment

just look for anything that is polyurethane

theres few brands to choose from eg. sikaflex, selleys all the same thing

then decide what stiffness your after

Comment

Originally posted by EK4R View Post
                            sorry to bring the old thread back up

going 2 do this pretty soon to my mounts

so does this product have an actually name?
                            PM mugsee George....he will tell you what it is....
                            Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                            1)ブレーキを踏む
                            2)クラッチを切る
                            3)シフトダウンしなから、
                              アクセルをぶかす
                            4)クラッチをつなぐ
                            :blah:
                            インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                            人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

buy the latest auto salong magazine, they have a diy walkthrough on how to make your own solid mounts

z10 says:
                              i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                              z10 says:
                              mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Working...
                              X