No announcement yet.

Mike's DC2R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviving an ancient thread. Found an unloved ITR and I just had to save it.

In case anyone is wondering what happened to the CW JDM ITR, after bringing it back to Aus from Japan I sold it to a local member from here and she now has a loving new home.

Anyways, been itching to get another and after looking around at the very few choices available, I didn't like any of them. obviously I'll never find one as raw as a yellow stickered one but the search went on.

Really wanted CW and even test drove the white JDM front conversion on carsales but was too expensive consider it has a written off title Was ready to give up but then, a black one came up that obviously needed help.

It was priced accordingly at half market value with a list of faults: crunchy 2nd gear syncro, clear coat completely gone from the roof, rear bumper had a low speed impact and the paint cracked. However... it's got a clean title, registered, everything worked, engine and chassis numbers match from what I can tell, interior all there and will clean up, Recaros still in it and not torn, most importantly the engine pulled strong and has that addictive VTEC cross over that only a B18CR can provide. Actually felt faster than the all the other ones on carsales advertised at twice the price. After convincing the better half this was an awesome buy she agreed.

1999 NHB DC2R, mostly stock with a J's Racing catback and some HSD coilovers. Original ITR wheels were gone and came on Accord Euro wheels which I will hopefully change ASAP.

Gave the thing a good clean, tightened up all the interior parts where nothing was secured down properly. I suspect at some stage it was taken apart for a big stereo install and took out all the useless wiring too.

Finally to my shock the boot was like a swimming pool, checked out the water that had collected in there for god knows how long.

Apart from the crunchy box, everything else is purely cosmetic and will bring her back to full health (slowly) as got too many projects, pair of Mazdas, pair of Nissans and a dirty old Toyota on the street. Most of the cars are VIC club permit scheme which helps a lot.

and the latest member of the family:

Last edited by michaelz; 30-04-18, 09:56 PM.
    00-0138 ITR

Comment

Think I vaguely recall seeing the ad for that, the CL9 stockies stood out haha. What are the short term plans and overall goals once you've fixed up all the small things?

Comment

Originally posted by Austro View Post
        Think I vaguely recall seeing the ad for that, the CL9 stockies stood out haha. What are the short term plans and overall goals once you've fixed up all the small things?
        Basically make it a reliable daily runaround. My MX5 is a bit of too impractical since I can't carry anyone or anything in it. And it's very slow... Wanted to sell it but missus won't let me and club permit insurance needs at least one registered car.
        00-0138 ITR

Comment

dc2r would be a great daily.

love the garage lineup!
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

firstly, just wow on the cw itr in Japan!!!! - happy she lives on.

and good on you for rescuing this one man!!

Comment

Amazing garage!

Looking forward to the DC2R's refresh!
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

That previous JDM DC2R!

Love your number plate theme.
                Skibeemo.com

Comment

If anyone has or can hook me up with some stock DC2R suspension PM me! I had no issues with the way my CW one drove in stock form and looking to restore the black one to stock so it's comfortable for daily use.
                  Last edited by michaelz; 09-08-17, 10:31 PM.
                  00-0138 ITR

Comment

nice one dude, that JDM CW one is stunning - I would have found it really hard to let that one go!

Comment

Originally posted by luzinit View Post
                      nice one dude, that JDM CW one is stunning - I would have found it really hard to let that one go!
                      Tell me about it, it's no wonder I can't forget that car and had to have another DC2R. Was a necessary evil at the time, the sale basically helped me gain financial freedom and was the starting point of all the cars that followed.

Looking back though that car was probably too "nice" for me and I enjoy fixing up the unloved ones more. The S13 is my favourite save so far.

It's an old '88 CA18 Qs body that I picked up with a SR20DET and S15 6 speed already swapped in but not running properly, AND it had a lame open diff. Paid $3k for it, fixed what's essentially just a huge boost leak and ran perfect. Adjustable suspension all round, 2 way LSD, cleaned up the interior and exterior and now she's reliable and presentable enough to drive to work in and go drifting when I feel like it.

Have to say thoroughly enjoyed fixing this car, everything was just so easy unlike my 300ZX which was a nightmare. Half the engine needs to come out just to fix boost leaks. And my 300ZX has spun a bearing recently so it's time for engine number 3... *sigh*

I'll post up a few more before/after photos on the other cars when I get a chance. They were all beaten puppies that no one else wanted.
                      Last edited by michaelz; 30-04-18, 09:55 PM.
                      00-0138 ITR

Comment

Nice work with the S13. More about the Rx7 too
                        BTW did you get gunmetal or white JDM 16s for the black ITR?

Comment

Originally posted by luzinit View Post
                          Nice work with the S13. More about the Rx7 too
                          BTW did you get gunmetal or white JDM 16s for the black ITR?
                          CW. Couldn't find Gunmetal ones but only a ITR can pull off white wheels even if it's black. I'll post an update on the DC2R soon.

RX7 was more recent, I bought it back in Feb this year from interstate without even driving it. Suspect it was a former "sydney spec" car that had huge 20" wheels and a leather wrapped interior. There was obvious scrub marks in all wheel wells where the tyres had been hitting the body. No guard liners and I had to source them too.

No paper history on the car but at least the VIN number checked out clean. It's one of the oldest ones out there. Aussie delivered series 6 FD VIN #00006. Delivered to Aus in March 1992. Originally Silverstone Silver but someone along the time line sprayed it to a colour that is similar to the USDM / JDM Competition Yellow which we never got here. I do like them in yellow and non-original paint doesn't bother me.

It had a stuffed interior, flogged out suspension, rear brakes calipers were rusted seized and non matching paint because it's gone through various bumpers in its life time. Add insult to injury it showed up with damage to the front lip caused by the trucking company.

Seller did assure me he just rebuilt the engine with a full bridgeport to give that rotary brap and on a run-in tune. Single turbo conversion was done same time as it was too much work to put the stock twins back in. No biggy, that's the engine combination I would have eventually done anyway. I took his word the engine is solid which was a big gamble but the car was priced under pretty much any other FD on the market.

Went to work on it as soon as it arrived. New brakes, new suspension, new 4" exhaust system from turbo back, replaced the interior, replaced all fluids, new coolant lines, even did a bit of aero like diffusers and side steps which I normally don't do. She drives beautifully. Compression test checked out and I've gathered parts for a big fuel system ready to go in as soon as the run in period is over. Need another 3000ks as it's only done 2000ks.

Last edited by michaelz; 08-08-17, 01:10 AM.
                          00-0138 ITR

Comment

i am in love... <3

Comment

Happy days, my 16" JDM R wheels have arrived.

Took the time to give her a proper wash, tired old paint still has some life left in it.

Adjusted the coilovers up so it's more function than form.

Changed all fluids and just in time by the looks of things. The engine oil was so low if the original owner drove it another couple of weeks, might have been empty enough to cause engine damage.

Fluids can't mask the worn trans and 2nd / 5th is still noisy so in the future it will probably need rebuilding or replacing but the car drives great for a half priced ITR.
                              Last edited by michaelz; 30-04-18, 09:55 PM.
                              00-0138 ITR

Comment

Nice car!! woo!.. i am starting to see a trend with your plates.. i am not sure if your keyboard was broken at the time of ordering them online or you just wanted to have an echo!.. lol jk..

nice going! i like to see all these delicious parts i can't afford go to in!

Comment

Working...
                                X