DC5 rear subframe question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5 rear subframe question.

Hey guys. I just installed a cusco rear sway bar on my dc5 base model. I think it's 22-25mm thick... I don't exactly remember as I bought it 2nd hand and the ad with the info was taken down. Its definitely a lot thicker and heavier then the stock bar that was on the base dc5.
    I've read of older model Hondas such as ek,eg,dc2 having problems with larger sway bars tearing the subframe. Will my base dc5 have the same issue? Since it's a non r or s it doesn't have the factory tie bar and the subframe might be weaker. I've searched and can't find any info on the dc5 about this issue so hopefully I'm in the clear. But by looking at the subframe it doesn't look much different then a ek or dc2 so I'm worried. I took the car to its limits today to test the sway bar. I didn't know about the subframe tear till after... Hopefully I havnt done any damage. Anyway so is the dc5 base subframe strong enough to deal with the aftermarket swaybar or should I just put the stock bar back on?

Hey guy,

I've never looked at a base model DC5 to see whether the rear subframe really is any different, but I took a quick look on a parts catalogue and these are the part numbers for the rear subframe sheetmetal section for each model:

iS (Japanese equivalent to our base model): 5750-S6M-300ZZ, 65750-S6M-Z50ZZ, 65750-S6M-Z00ZZ
    Type R:65750-S6M-300ZZ, 65750-S6M-Z50ZZ, 65750-S6M-Z00ZZ

So the part numbers are the same for that bit of metal, so I think you're pretty safe. I've never heard of a DC5 rear sub-frame failure, I think that Honda decided to be less extreme in saving weight and made the base model and Type R chassis basically the same bar the bolt on braces.

Comment

It can tear the mounts off.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
      sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Dam. Not sure when there is two different opinions. I found out mine says 22mm on the bushings so it's not that extreme. I'll be saving up for a brace in the mean time just to be safe. The bottom of the subframe does look way to thin so I won't take any chances.

Comment

Working...
        X