Bryan's FN2R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bryan's FN2R

Not sure how quickly this build will progress, but let's see...

So I sold the turbo MX5 as it was just sitting around and bought this 2007 FN2R off a mate who's had it from new. The plan is to drive this for about a year - it's a carrot for my son. You get good grades, you get this car when you get your licence. If not, you can save up for your own $500 shitbox...and we'll bring him back to Singapore where corporal punishment is legal.

It's been meticulously maintained, garaged, and whilst it had 115,000kms on it, it still feels very new - no rattles or creaks. It has been soundproofed and has a Hollandia sunroof, so the car carries a lot more weight than stock...but hey...I've got a track car for "lightweight"!

Came with the GP front lip.
    IMG_4023.jpg

First mod was a K-Tuned shift knob. It already had the Mugen short shift but I didn't like how low the knob sat.
    IMG_4203.jpg

The plan was to get a set of Brembos off an FD2R so I as I was messaging my friends in Singapore (cars there get scrapped after 10 years), one of them piped up and said he had AP Racing front brakes that he'd taken off his FN2R!
    IMG_4125.JPG

Came with 2 piece 330mm rotors as well...but not sure how much life left in them. Will need new pads as well, but I got them for a song, so not complaining! Yet to have them fitted though.
    IMG_4121.JPG

And went for a drive with the previous owner (RS3) and another mate in his M3. Yup, they were outgunned...not!
    IMG_4192.jpg

So yes...it's meant for my son and I'm not supposed to be modding it.

What a legend Dad!

keen to see where you go with this FN2@
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Hopefully not too far! I'm really trying not to get carried away and go K-frank, gearbox, LSD, etc so I'll just focus on the DC2R...no money too!

Comment

So I said I’d keep the car stock, and ended up fitting the AP brakes to the DC2R instead...and ended up with Tegiwa headers, so it all looks stock.

Then this happened...
        99C17413-8BA6-4A70-8683-D0CD5D25E0C4.jpeg

41E31D7D-655F-4716-98C8-0853616DBBE5.jpeg

And to replace the AP brakes, JBT 330mm 4pots.
        217BF64D-F7D3-42CF-8BAB-FB0E98E51F32.jpeg

The problem with having mates in a country where they have to scrap their cars after 10 years.

Comment

New wheels! SSR GTX01 18x8.5 +44

Almost flush

Comment

Still driving this daily?
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

Nice wheel choice
              Email: info@moonlightracing.com.au
              Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/moonlightracingaus/

Supplying the best parts from all around the globe. Whatever you need, Moonlight's got it!

Comment

Love the wheels Bryan!
                Shak's S2000

Comment

Thanks guys! Really liking the wheels, and they are SO much lighter than stock!

Felix - for the past month I’ve been swapping with an A3 TFSI as I’m car-sitting. I have to say I’m very impressed with the little 1.4 as it’s very economical and sufficiently powerful at the same time. Nice little cruiser too - drove it to the Hunter for an offsite and it was such a nice cruise.

Drove the FN2R again today and couldn’t help hitting VTEC though! Had to settle into sixth and just hit cruise control...

Comment

Hello boys! My name is Kay...Kay Frank
                    477533C2-150F-4AA4-B42D-9F0D5DEC11EE.jpeg

And my new friends, FD, Sixth and Clutch
                    3467066A-6903-409D-BF82-CCFE9E0BB7F7.jpeg

CE9C6A85-58A7-416E-A320-C761C203E63C.jpeg

The car drives so much better with that extra torque and when I rev it, i still get the VTEC hit, heeheehee!
                    Last edited by Apu; 03-10-18, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Nice work. Just saw the byp post. Impressive figures! That 30kw difference would be crazy noticeable!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not just the 30kW but also the torque! The car is how Honda should have made it!

Really enjoying it now. We’re heading out to Bright tomorrow, and whilst the family go in the SUV...I’m driving the Civic! We did think about towing it but with all of us plus luggage, it’ll be pretty close to the towing limit.

I intend on driving between Bright and Mt Beauty again! Love that stretch.

Comment

Oh wow...haven’t updated this thread for a while.

So on that trip to Bright, my son and I drove the Civic down (wife followed with daughters and friend in the SUV). Every opportunity we had, my son and i went for a blast between Bright and Mt Beauty, and up Mt Buffalo as well. Love that place - food is good, great little brewery, beautiful scenery and what great roads to drive on!

The unfortunate thing is that he didn’t see a rock or something solid on the road one night and ran over it. Shock started knocking the next day, intermittently at first, then got progressively worse. Not good. A much delayed shout out to Ben Saunders who waited for me whilst I drove to Wodonga and borrowed a few tools, and to BYP who sorted it out when we got back.

Keen to take some time off and do this drive again this year! Might go in autumn as Bright is just beautiful that time of year.

Might go RBC and J37 now...just for that extra bit of breathing.

Comment

Did someone say RBC and J37?

BF91936E-948E-4A3F-BD4A-2678BA704AF6.jpeg

670917C1-052C-45A0-A040-43D5AAEEE698.jpg

6983258F-F67C-4A5C-9DA2-9087C3763BC5.jpg

Not bad...~9kW at the top end. Doesn’t appear to be much lower down but it feels like it because the car is just so much more responsive with the 70mm TB.

I think that’s about as far as I’ll go with mods on this car. It’s getting to the point of being “less driveable” now. With the straight K-frank, it was really good in traffic and just puttering around, but lacked continuous pull at the top end.

The J37 and RBC has enabled the top end and made the lower end more punchy, but the car is also more sensitive to the throttle now so is a bit jerkiest than before (maybe just a bit of getting used to).

I think going for more aggressive cams will spoil the driveability (in traffic)...surprisingly, even the L-plater agrees with that.
                            Last edited by Apu; 11-02-19, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X