Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nissan S14A 200SX

Hi all,

Firstly please delete this thread if I'm braking the rules by posting a non-Honda car, but please hear me out!

I've joined this forum to gain a bit more insight into the world of Honda. I'm yet to actually get behind the wheel of one and never really had an I test in them when I was younger. Now that I'm older a wiser and have done a bunch of track days, I realise that some are very capable cars and while they don't have that meaty midrange of a turbo, they are still great handling cars with lighter weight and impressive power from an NA engine.

Anyway I've recently been looking more into DC2 type R (particularly JDM spec) and am shocked at the praise it has received. Research has revealed that there has been a lot of engineering in the design and finish of this car and while it probably won't win a traffic light duel, it really shines on track or a twisty back road (both of which I prefer anyway).

I'm actually considering swapping my current car and getting into a DC2R. Hoping I won't miss the ferocious turbo punch of the SR20DET and can enjoy a higher revving engine with arguable the best handling of a FWD car. Seeing as I'll be moving to the UK in around 12 months and will have to sell the S14 by then, I figured I might take the opportunity to sell early and try something new before I move (and likely have no car sadly).

Needless to say, the decision to jump camps has received mixed reviews from my friends. I've generally not been phased with others opinions on my car as I do what I enjoy the most, hoping the DC2R is able to deliver some smiles and surprise the haters.

So while I continue to educate myself through this forum, allow me to tell you a bit about my current passion. This is my 1998 Nissan S14a 200sx luxury (don't let the name fool you, it's far from luxurious). I bought it 100% stock off an older gentleman who cared for it meticulously (was the cleanest s14 for sale at the time) with 125,000kms from memory.

Since then it's been my daily and I've slowly modded it and now has 158,000kms. Currently has:
    - 3" turbo back exhaust (custom)
    - Auto diff (lsd with better ratio)
    - front mount intercooler
    - black rpf1 17x9 +22
    - Ad08r rear tyres (255)
    - Nitto NT05 fronts (235)
    - slideworx coilovers
    - slideworx camber arms rear
    - slideworx toe arms rear
    - oil temp, oil pressure and water temp gauges (prosport)
    - defi boost gauge
    - manual boost controller/bleed valve - set at 14psi
    - bride replica seat (still adr standard though so safe to use, wouldn't buy otherwise)
    - front lower lip
    - heavy duty clutch
    - manual conversion (was auto when purchased but that lasted about a week)

Car is very well set up in my opinion, I've trialled different tyres/wheels and suspension changes and fairly happy with how it currently is. Good for a blast through some twisty roads on the occasion.

Feel free to ask me anything about the ownership of a 200sx and any advice/opinion on the DC2R will be much appreciated. Hell if anyone is in a similar position and looking to trial Nissan ownership, could be a great opportunity to swap

Look forward to (hopefully) being apart of the Honda community soon! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice s14 man, always loved them!!!! - you've done really well with the mods and seriously looks tough
    There are plenty of well educated car enthusiasts who move from Honda to Nissan and Nissan to Honda, both manufacturers are great and make awesome cars.
    Personally owning a dc2r, i don't think you will be disappointed at all. plenty of power for 1.8L N/A, and does the job really well, as for track days, I've had none, but from what I have seen and heard you are correct on their ability to handle almost flawlessly on the track, great gear ratios, high revs, amazing chassis, just need some grippy tyres and maybe some coil-overs to finish her off.

If you do end up looking to buy one, now is a pretty good time as just like the turbo Nissans they are increasing in price. few cheap ones going Australia wide.

good luck man.

Comment

Thanks man. There aren't many around for sale unfortunately. There's one I've got my eye on with JDM front end, however he's not interested in swapping. I've always found the experience of selling cars to be not all that pleasant (usually lots of interest but none of it serious and ridiculous offers) but maybe it's time I go all out and sell it in the hope the DC2R remains for sale.

Kind of a risky move as I'd be selling something I really enjoy and have had zero issues with for something unknown (apart from all the good reviews). Just hope that I find vtec fun and that there's no painful mechanical issues.

Keep an eye out for a s14 for sale in Victoria

Comment

Well today I've officially been converted. No more RWD or turbos but definitely many smiles. Things an absolute riot to drive. Fantastic little car. I finally understand why some people love Hondas.

Comment

That looks like a nice example of a DC2R. Sweet Spoon cluster! Congrats on your purchase.
          ClubITR | Like

Comment

Congrats on the purchase t_bund. I think this is Paul's (Bluelude98) previous car. He took great care of it and it's a very clean car.

Look forward to hearing about your impressions against the S14a.
            Skibeemo.com

Comment

Originally posted by chaumeh View Post
              Congrats on the purchase t_bund. I think this is Paul's (Bluelude98) previous car. He took great care of it and it's a very clean car.

Look forward to hearing about your impressions against the S14a.
              Thanks guys. Impressions are good so far. VTEC is hilarious. Whole car is tight as a drum, very impressed. Getting some nice new AD08Rs this week and hen taking it for a good drive through some twisties (pending weather).

Could well be his car, apparently the previous owner bought it from someone in NSW. I could always check log books for name.

I'll keep you posted with a comparison to the s14 once I've gotten used to the car. But already I feel like it's going to be much sharper.

Don't think I'll be modifying this one, it's perfect as is. Just tyres, brake pads (NSX calipers!) and regular servicing.

Comment

woooo soooo nice! hhnngggg!~

Comment

If that's a legit spoon cluster sell it and collect a few grand back on the car price haha

Comment

Working...
                  X