Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda by marriage.....

Hey guys,

Great to be a part of this community, but I must inform you all that I am Honda owner by marriage.

That is to say an F20C has been married up to a 1990 Toyota MR2 and the coupling has been a thing of beauty, truly magical.

I have been playing with performance cars for many years, mostly turbo RX7's but my daily has always been a Honda. Finaly I have the chance to play with a truly amazing piece of machinery in the F20C, and am excited to see what this engine can to in a light weight MR car on the track.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will put up some pics.

Welcome to ClubITR

Definitely start a build thread!
    ClubITR | Like

Comment

I didn't start this build but found a link to the MR2 forum where the previous owner DID start a build thread.

I have continued the work and will start putting new information up in the not too distant future.

https://www.mr2australia.com/mr2play/tm.aspx?m=96882

Comment

Welcomeee!

I definitely have a confused boner! but good going! can't wait to see more pics of it!

Comment

simply breathtaking!!!!

Comment

Been a long time since my last update but I finally tracked it at Queensland Raceway on the Clubman Circuit and ran a 1:09.063. My target for this event was 1:08 close so I'm pleased.

This has allowed me to identify a number of issues that needed to be addressed.

1. Clutch setup was not up to the task and disintegrated, I have since had a custom clutch built by NPR (tick)
            2. Open centre diff was spinning the inside wheel and unsettling the car and the gearbox I had in the car was in serious need of refreshing (it was not good), I have since installed a fresh box with a helical LSD.
            3. Diff ratio does NOT suit this engine (3.9:1), I worked out it would need a minimum 4.8:1 in order to convert this machine from a quick car to a fast car. I'm having issues with this as no one ever made better than a 4.1 for this box!
            4. Brakes were utter rubbish! I had to do a double brake into every turn, I would do a pre-brake to bleed off speed before letting off the pedal to cool them a bit before braking into the turn. Understandably this did not help my lap times. I have since upgraded the brakes (nothing crazy just direct fitment bolt on upgrade) with very good quality pads and a 1 inch bore master cylinder.
            5. Water temp fluctuates. I'm not having much luck figuring out why I'm having this issue but hopefully someone on this forum may have some ideas. (I will be starting a thread)

With these mods and the 3.9 LSD my new target on this circuit is 1:05, which I don't think is out of reach.

Comment

Working...
            X