Changing Transmission Fluid Help DC5R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Transmission Fluid Help DC5R

I own a dc5r with 175,000 km. For the one year i have owned it the gear shifts have been very smooth and overall have felt very solid. However, the last month or so that is not the case. Gears are much harder to get into than previously and overall quality feels bad. Ive never tracked the car but i do drive the car in a spiritedly manner quite often. I am not sure when the transmission fluid was changed last so i am worried if i do change it i could loosen deposits that have settled into place etc. As for what oil/fluid to use i am not sure for my car. Ive done a lot of research but could not find a good reccomendation for my specific car. Would appreciate any knowledge and recommendations of what fluid/oil to use as i am a noob. Keep in mind the issues i have with the car at the moment and the fact that its a daily and is driven in hot conditions in summer. Thanks.

Try changing the clutch fluid and bleed the line properly.

Then change the gearbox oil with Honda MTF. It's a manual, don't worry about "loosening deposits" or any other rumours you hear from Internet forums. Just change it and make sure the level is correct when you're done and it will be fine.

Comment

thank you for the comment. I will change the gearbox oil first and see if that fixes it but if the problem is still there i will change the cluch fluid as well and bleed the line. For Honda MTF do you mean the 06 one? Im not entirely sure which Honda MTF as ive seen several of them. (by the way i have a ORC clutch aftermarket)

Comment

There is only one MTF available in Aus I think mtf-06 is it, get it from the Honda dealer.

In other markets it varies what they call it.

If it doesn't make a difference It could be your clutch is just worn. Is it all gears? Cold or hot? Are shifts notchier at lower rpm?

Comment

Ok ill see about getting the 06 one. Ive seen on forums that amsoil syncromesh is apparently quite good and can replace the honda mtf?? i dont mind paying more for 'fancy' brands etc...

As for the issues, i can only describe it as being hard to get into some gears( mainly when cold ), such as first and second. Then when upshifting it does feel quite 'sticky/notchy' when changing.

Shifting into reverse has always been a problem since i got the car but its not that bad as i just need to depress the clutch several times and it goes in fine. As i said it was feeling great up until a few months ago.

The aftermarket clutch was installed by a previous owner and i think is around 15,000-25,000 km old. It is possible that my clutch is worn but i dont think thats the problem. although i probably wouldn't know...

Comment

The Honda mtf-06 is very good for shift feel, I would try it first over other after market types.

Comment

Change the gearbox fluid and see if there are improvements. However if there aren't any, then you should look at replacing your clutch master cylinder next, should it still be the original one with 175,000km on it.

Comment

Ok thanks. I will update when i do it. Will get the mtf 06.

Comment

Can i ask where i can get Honda MTF from in Sydney and how much are they?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ZHL View Post
                    Can i ask where i can get Honda MTF from in Sydney and how much are they?

Thanks
                    Serious? You buy it from Honda dealerships, call a few and get prices they vary a little between dealerships. You'll need 3 bottles to do a full change with a bit left over.

Comment

Working...
                    X