No announcement yet.

Too's ED Shi-bi-ku

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love it. Nice work. Definitely need some in car footage now!
    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Car got a bit of a look over today and was returned to street/MTB mover/grocery getter spec.
      Changed the oil, and replaced the filter with a Genuine Honda Oil filter —which I have never used before, hence why I make big deal of it here — and replace the gearbox fluid with Honda MTF.

Also I dealt with my clutch slip issue, I think. The combination of having the adjustment set too high(deep) initially led to the system not being able to equalise, which with a temperature change cause the clutch feel/activation to be affected. I never noticed until hitting the track and some heat was put into the system. Hopefully I haven't punished my clutch plate too much...

Any other updates? Not really, pretty much been enjoying car life.

I got in touch with a couple guys recently who own 4th gen. Civics and we managed to get together for a little hill run.

It was pretty nice seeing some stock examples. It put into perspective how much work i've done on my car, which I tend to forget since its been done over a long timespan. I'm looking forward to helping them out with some of their future plans; engine swap and brake upgrades...

We drove a road I'm pretty familiar with to a destination that I had only recently been introduced to, the Summer Kitchen Bakery which has now become one of my favourite destination for baked goods and coffee. Its a super great spot to finish up a nice little back road run/sunday drive with nice views over bush/farmland and the occasional waterfall! Here's the route we took, the start being not too far from my house.

Nice and twisty!

Losing panel gaps

After getting mucked around locally I managed to source a CRX ZC bonnet from VIC.
      For those unfamiliar with it this hood has a slight bulge in it on the left hand side to accommodate the twin-cam D16a8/9, I think thats the engine code. Anyway, this hood will deal with my clearance issues of the B18, which currently has a number of spacers on the hinges and a piece of Chux stopping the bonnet from rubbing the paint off the LHS corner of my cam cover...once this is painted I'll be able to have normal panel gaps. YAY!
      Last edited by toocivic; 16-10-17, 09:20 PM.
      Baskerville Raceway, Tas PB 1:07.84 [Nankang AR1]

Comment

Track day 35mm film shots.

So it should be pretty obvious through my pic heavy posts I like taking pictures.
        Recently I managed to finish the roll of film which had some pics from the track day I attended last month...36/24 exposures feels like a lot when you don't want to waste a shot, so it tends to take me a while...

I've been really enjoying making these 'bad panorama'/ stitched wide angle images. I feel like there is a fine line between them working and them looking a bit bad...

Its always worth taking a couple 'safe' shots too though...

A bit of a raw/grainy image of the interior...sorry about the wheel.

In the pits along side my friend Dennis's Birkin S3( Silver-top 4AGE powered), which he daily drives...always: rain, hail, or shine!

Cheers,

Tobias
        Last edited by toocivic; 20-07-17, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Cools pics man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden95 View Post
            Cools pics man
            Thanks man, its always fun messing around with old cameras.

So not a great deal has been happening with the decent of winter in Hobart. I started a Facebook group, Sunday Drive to bypass the hoonish "lets go for a burrrrrrn/skid" cruises that seem to attract the wrong people, and get people together to enjoy a drive somewhere nice. Sort of half a car life group, half a tourism group.
            Most of the people involved I've met in person, at the track, so we're on the same page as where to push the limits.

Only three cars present, but quality was up there Honda wise: Civic, Integra Type R, and Beat.
            Last edited by toocivic; 23-07-17, 05:29 PM.

Comment

ZC hood painted

So I had my ZC hood painted recently so now I'm back to having normals panel gaps again thanks to being able to remove the spacers from the hinges. The car is looking super 80's now with the obnoxious bulge in the hood, which I think is a great little detail that hints at the "performance" it has.

Other than fitting up the hood I haven't been up to much other that enjoying a winter break. I had a friend visiting recently and we went for a few day trips around the state, racking up about 800km or so of driving... car didn't miss a beat.

The only bit of news other than that is I've ordered some Nankang Ns2R's for my Wedsports TC005 in preparation for track day that is coming up in August. I ordered them in the street version as I'm keen to see how they perform as they are looking like the most likely option for me once my Bridgestone RE001 are finished, as there isnt much in the way of performance street tires in 14".
              Last edited by toocivic; 21-07-17, 12:46 AM.

Comment

nice!! why can't you be in QLD! Would enjoy some company to cruise with.. lol i find myself going for a short drive to 7/11 for a drink then go back home all too often

Comment

Baskerville Track Day
                  [Rain Intensifies]

Well, another track day a Baskerville Raceway came around…
                  Being a pretty rainy month in Hobart it was always going to be a gamble if the rain would hold off or be blown away in the night before. In short it didn’t, and the morning began with a scene like this: huge amounts of standing water all thought the pits and on corners of the track.

I was glad to see that Will, the owner of the ITR, wasn’t deterred by the rain either. Track time is track time after all.

The combination of the number of drivers, which was pretty amazing given the weather conditions, and the momentary down pours led to a pretty funny pace through the day.

My first session was spent just feeling the car and checking condition of the track,then coming in early to adjust my tire pressures. 28psi front, and 29psi rear is what I ended up for the day.Unfortunately I’m always nervous about going too low as if it proves to be too low there isn’t an air compressor at the track. Also I’m still not sure as to if I should have the rears higher than the fronts to provoke a little rotation…I don’t know?!

I had a pretty tame second session. This was my theme for most of the day, just take it easy and become Mr. Smooth. I had a major moment this early session when I tried to left foot braking before the last turn into the back straight…resulting in a lock up after not braking hard enough and then braking too hard later and the car rotating after a little steering input. First spin of the day, two more to follow at different points,
                  In the 5-6th lap of this session it was really coming down and visibility was pretty poor: wipers on max and still not really seeing anything along the back straight…not fun.

After pitting the weather only got worse, and I ended up having some coffee and snacks in my car as the wind and rain really picked up.
                  This is looking out the back window of my car, rain hitting the glass. This is under the pits too!

In time this weather passed and we started to get a little more sunshine popping through, in between light down pours. With some luck I was able to get in line a couple times and the rain would halt and the sun would come out by the time my group was let out.

[picture of me and my eternal struggle to get my helmet on just before being let out]

I ended up doing three sessions in a row which was really good. The track had started to dry out a little, though there was still a bit of mud and debris that had been thrown on the track through various peoples offs. These back-to-back sessions helped me work out my line for the downhill chicane section of the track(Turns two, three, four), something I’ve always struggled with. The end result was a line that was much smoother, setting things up much nicer for the uphill section.

Another thing worked out was back sweeper(Turn Ten). It requires me to shift from 3rd-4th about three quarters of the way through but taking my hand off the wheel often caused my line to change and unsettle things, this was felt especially in the wet! In the end this was dealt with by taking the car nearly to the rev limiter, by this point the car would need less steering input preventing the car becoming unsettled as I shift up.
                  The uphill section after turn six was pretty much the same, with the fuel cut just cutting in before I tipped over the crest under brakes. This change of tactic resulted in the top section become far simpler( no need to try left foot braking the corner before the back straight) with less down/up changes resulting in me being able to concentrate on my line and braking. With these strategies developed, mid 1:13's were happening through the afternoon which I'm totally happy with given the conditions.

The afternoon sessions with a dryer track were super fun!
                  A good few sessions with Will in front in his ITR, it was nice to see other people lines though the track… I also a rode along in Dennis’s Birkin S3( pictured in an earlier post), again seeing peoples lines, especially in something like Dennis's car where he is able to put it wherever he want quite easily due to the sheer mechanical grip and lightness. Learning, learning.
                  I took Will out in the ED, I was super keen to since he took me out in his DC2R last track day, also I was very curious to see what he thought.

Pros: Mr.Smooth, more track time, shift points dialled in, nice afternoon light
                  Cons: Camera battery died, Rain[?],

Mould
                  Did I mention I’ve been trying to make a headlight duct? Mostly because boredom struck, and I’m trying to further my fibreglassing skills.
                  This is where its at, currently a pretty rough [to be filled/smoother] two piece mould. I've been working on it when the weather is nice, so not often recently...slowly slowly its been taking shape.
                  Last edited by toocivic; 25-10-17, 09:19 PM.

Comment

The Nankang saga

[Long/boring part]
                    The guy at the local tire shop felt so bad that it was going to take over two weeks for my NS2r's to arrive( one coming ex. SA, one ex. VIC) so he changed my order to AR1's to get some tires for me for the track day on the weekend. In the end they didn't get here until the monday after, he felt pretty bad so he charged me the same price as the NS2r's for the AR1 to apologies[ $150 ea.]. To be completely honest I wasn't really fussed since the Bridgestone RE001's I run are still in good shape so I'm stoked he gave me a discount. I am glad to have some sticky tires for next time though!

[Good part]
                    Couldn't resist test fitting the setup, TE37's on the rear and Weds up front!

Wedsport TC005 are 14x6+20

TE37's are 14x6+38
                    I ended up jacking the rear left corner up to compress the front right strut and it looks like they'll clear fine: the natural neg. camber gains doing their thing. I might put the setup on one day and go for a little run on the mountain near my house to check for any scrubbing..
                    Last edited by toocivic; 18-08-17, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Wow nice work!.. haha good on ya with your fiberglassing skills.. i only manage to superglue my fingers together at the best of times!

Comment

What's the width and offset on the Weds? TC005 stagger nicely with the TEs, looks good for sure.

Comment

Went for a little drive in the hills near my house today to check if the Weds would rub. Happy to report they don't... there was one moment where they did but that was around a pretty steep and sharp hairpin, if I recall my daily wheel setup does at that turn too, so its pretty negligible. The front end feels really nice with the lower offset Weds, a lot softer and grippier.

Totally sold on the the white-on-white with little bits of blue that I have ended up with. The blue /white of the JAF sticker, and the Wedsports and the Volk Racing wheel decals work nicely. Also its sitting much nicer in this picture since the suspension was able to settle properly after driving a bit.
                          Last edited by toocivic; 22-08-17, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Car looks great man!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

love the look of this car, Just bought a Eg but your making me wish i went a bit older!

Comment

Originally posted by usercam View Post
                                love the look of this car, Just bought a Eg but your making me wish i went a bit older!
                                Nice one! I do have a soft spot for EG's.
                                I think the thing that got me with the ED/EF was the interior, being mostly black keeps thing feeling fresh. It does have it downsides though as there aren't that many around so finding collecting parts, for spares or to modify, is always an on-going thing.

Originally posted by Devcon View Post
                                Wow nice work!.. haha good on ya with your fiberglassing skills.. i only manage to superglue my fingers together at the best of times!
                                Its always good to have these little projects on the go, and I'm never too worried if it doesn't turn out that great cause I can always try again later.

Originally posted by Austro View Post
                                What's the width and offset on the Weds? TC005 stagger nicely with the TEs, looks good for sure.
                                Weds are 14x6+20.
                                I'm looking forward to running the same width tire all around...for now its 185's on the front and 195's on the rear.

Last edited by toocivic; 24-08-17, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X