Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attacking Time in the EP3

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2002 EP3 Type R and took it pretty much straight to the track as soon as I could. Thought I’d share my progress chasing times and also keen on some feedback and thoughts from others who track their Honda’s.
    I’ve owned and tracked my S15 for the past five years with good success but always had a soft spot for the EP3 shape and the K20A and thought… “Why not have both?”
    It’s my first time owning a Honda and first experience taking a FWD to the track.. Let the fun times roll!

I purchased the car with:

Ported RBC Manifold
    K-tuned Fuel rail
    Hybrid Racing 70mm Throttle Body
    Injen 3” CAI
    PLM Headers
    100 cell high flow cat into J’s Racing Catback exhaust
    Recaro Pole Position Leather seats
    Full Mugen bodykit

Since done:

Removed rear seats (good weight saving)
    Whiteline Front Camber bolt kit (also need an alignment)
    Whiteline Front Sway links
    Advan TCII 17x8.5” +34 wheels
    Toyo R888 225/45/17 semis
    Intima SR brake pads front and rear
    ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid
    Cobra Suzuka Pro fixed bucket seat (needs install)

Here’s a clip from my Wakefield trackday last week at a Speed off the Streets day:

Many improvements to be had, I think i’m still driving the car like a RWD but all things considered pretty happy with the time.
    The R888’s are a very average semi compared to others I’ve used.
    What I’m really surprised at is how well the little Civic handles for stock suspension.

Now looking to the next mods to get into the 1:10’s and below, hitting Wakefield again in March!

Next mods potentially will be:

HEL braided brake lines
    T3 4000/5000 front rotors
    Staggered wheel setup/different semis
    Front splitter

Happy to hear your suggestions and feedback

Nice to see another thread for the EP3.
    You're right, the stock suspension is very good. I reckon you would see nice improvement in handling with front and rear sway bars.
    Also what is included with the Mugen body kit, just lip and rear spoiler?

Comment

Nice time and welcome to ClubITR
      ClubITR | Like

Comment

Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheers guys.

I bought the car with the Mugen kit and have to admit it's pretty nice, adds a nice touch to already gorgeous EP3 body
          It's got the front lip, top spoiler and rear bumper "diffuser" (very similar looking to the Evo MR "diffuser").

Anyone else tracking their EP3's?

I think swaybars would be a good idea too although the front and rear balance isn't too bad at the moment.

Comment

nice driving
            very similar to my lines in the s2k and i have had friends comment on how different their civic lines ar to mine especially through the fishhook
            time to watch some youtube videos of ep3s and maybe some civics to get an idea

Comment

So good.

Interested in your wheel alignment specs.

Comment

I didn't even get a chance to get around to getting a wheel alignment so unsure of the current specs, Heasmans was booked out for a month!
                Hoping to sneak one in before next trackday on the 6th March, just want to make sure nothing is completely out of whack.

@Toddxxx definitely need to adjust my lines but having a RWD and FWD can be tough

Anyone else headed out to the track soon?

Comment

Unfortunately didn't get a track wheel alignment but managed to zero everything for a trackday on the 6th just past.

Whacked on the DBA T3 4000 rotors all around and some old Hankook C50 Z221's and managed to crack my previous PB with a 1:10.6 (Qstarz GPS timer).
                  Car ran beautifully considering it did 100+ laps from being passed around!
                  Definitely looking at suspension mods next to crack the single digits, can feel the traction rolling all the way to the sidewall as a result from the zero camber and toe

No action shots unfortunately

Comment

Nice time! Well done.
                    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Finally got some coilovers for the EP3, got the Hardrace H-S set off JDMYard 8kg/10kg Front/Rear spring rates.

Wheel alignment booked in for tomorrow to finally dial in that camber.
                      Looking to dip into the 1:09's or even lower who knows next week

If anyone is keen, we still have spots for our trackday next week on the 3rd May.
                      30 cars maximum, open pit lane format for $250.
                      Last edited by Feelz; 27-04-17, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Nice EP3! Makes me miss mine a lot
                        1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
                        1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
                        2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
                        F1 Nut

Comment

Working...
                        X