No announcement yet.

Todds new EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, bad luck with the reversing into the pole. The EK looks really clean, you should see how bad my daily EK is!
    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

I’ve got a polish that should take most of that scratch off

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
        Haha, bad luck with the reversing into the pole. The EK looks really clean, you should see how bad my daily EK is!
        Yeah it sucks. Literally 2 hours after I finished all the cleaning and detailing. Was so angry!

Thanks haha. I have this thing where I have to keep this car super clean always but then I neglect the S2000...

Originally posted by Apu View Post
        I’ve got a polish that should take most of that scratch off
        Sounds like you're volunteering

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

One last job to do to the car over the weekend was to replace the leaking valve cover gasket. The reason for cleaning the engine bay with the gurney was to clear out all the grit and oil that had leaked all over the block for however long. This is something that I have noticed get worse and worse over time so when I placed my big amayama order for the S2000 I threw in a couple bit and pieces for the ek as well.

I grabbed a Valve cover gasket set which came with the valve cover gasket, spark plug seals, new valve cover bolts and the washers as well. I also grabbed a new sump drain plug and crush washer as I noticed a bit of oil residue around there when I did the last change. Haven't installed that yet though.

The 5 minute gasket install didn't go 100% according to plan. The old gasket was siliconed in everywhere so I had to clean all that off. The spark plug seals were so brittle (likely never been changed) that as soon as you tried to get them out they just fell apart so they took forever to get out. I used the steam mould cleaner at work to clean the inside of the valve cover which was covered in thick oil residue and that came up really good. I also found a stripped thread on one of the valve cover bolt holes so I had to fix that as well but eventually everything went back together and no leaks anymore.

Comment

Going to be doing this soon on my car, did you torque the bolts down and did you use Hondabond?
            Last edited by Kingk22; 07-11-17, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingk22 View Post
              Going to be doing this soon on my car, did you torque the bolts down and did you use Hondabond?
              Yep torques them down to 7ft lbs which is the factory spec. Didn't use Hondabond in the corners. First time doing a d series gasket so wasn't aware. No leaks of anything so I see no need to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                Yep torques them down to 7ft lbs which is the factory spec. Didn't use Hondabond in the corners. First time doing a d series gasket so wasn't aware. No leaks of anything so I see no need to do it.

Minimum torque on my torque wrench is 28 Nm, don't know whether to risk it without one, service manual calls for hondabond on the cam seal and on the corners of the recesses of the valve cover gasket.

Comment

Minimum torque on my torque wrench is 28 Nm, don't know whether to risk it without one, service manual calls for hondabond on the cam seal and on the corners of the recesses of the valve cover gasket.
                  I think 7ft lbs is like 10nM? Yeah I'd just get a small ratchet and use that to get to just over hand tight. I'm lucky we have all sorts of torque wrenches at work. And yeah I read that after another friend mentioned that. So far no leaks for me. We will see how it goes.

Comment

I did my B series one without a torque wrench. I just used how much effort it took to undo to gauge how tight it needed to be when completed. I must have done it nearly 2 years ago and it hasn't leaked.
                    I used Honda Bond, I figure it is worth using to ensure you don't need to do it again.
                    1997 Honda Civic EK4
                    Winton - 1:34.94
                    Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                    Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                    Wakefield - 1:10.16
                    Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
                      I did my B series one without a torque wrench. I just used how much effort it took to undo to gauge how tight it needed to be when completed. I must have done it nearly 2 years ago and it hasn't leaked.
                      I used Honda Bond, I figure it is worth using to ensure you don't need to do it again.
                      Where'd you get the Hondabond from? Honda dealer didn't have any and I can't anyone else that has it, thinking of using Permatex Ultra Grey instead.

Comment

Where'd you get the Hondabond from? Honda dealer didn't have any and I can't anyone else that has it, thinking of using Permatex Ultra Grey instead.
                        eBay, I think JDMYard got some in recently as well but probably no biggie using ultra grey.

Comment

No update for a long time. Car has just continued to be used as a daily.

Just cracked 230,000kms on a recent weekend trip to Victoria and with snow season/many weekend trips planned a full fluid service was in order. The car got the special 5w~40 penrite this time around as I have 6 bottles sitting in the garage thanks to sca sales. New oem filter and gearbox oil was used. Left Coolant as it was done a year ago and no real need.
                          Despite not once topping up the engine oil (check every couple of weeks still) the car barely lost any oil ove the past year/15k kms or so. The mighty d16 is in tip top shape it seems.
                          Both CVs are clicking on tight turns now though so I probably should address that.

In celebration of the cars 230k achievement I grabbed some colour coded Sideskirts off a friend to replace the black ones. Much nicer and now I only have the the front lip to colour code and exterior will be perfect.
                          Before

After

Comment

Oh yeah
                            I also sold and replaced the spoon side mirrors with colour coded oem items so I can finally adjust the mirrors to where I can see out of them without having to duck my head everytime!
                            Irrelevant but cool picture of the civic lurking in the background

Comment

Let me fix that for you.
                              Todd_EK by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                              1997 Honda Civic EK4
                              Winton - 1:34.94
                              Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                              Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                              Wakefield - 1:10.16
                              Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Haha a little lower would be nice. Time to chop some springs. Although not worrying about driveways is nice

Comment

Working...
                                X