Help!! DC5S 13.5L per 100km - Roughly 320km when light pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! DC5S 13.5L per 100km - Roughly 320km when light pops

Hi guys, my DC5s is doing roughly 13.5l per 100km does about 320km before the low light pops up. I think thats really bad.
    Anyway i done a OBDII scan and there was no code and always done all the necessary maintenance. I can't seem to see any flaw with the car mechanically, no smokes and engine runs very smooth.

Fairly light on my feet but does do short drive between work and going to do groceries, but 13.5lp100km is still pretty bad.
    Only thing i can think of is O2 sensor (not sure if they show up in code when they go bad) which hasn't been replaced and running on 5-30 castrol edge, which i been told is to thin for the car. It does go through a bit of oil compare to 10-30/10-40

Help!!!

Thanks

It's possible for an O2 sensor to give inaccurate readings but not give an error code. With poor economy like that I'd also look for other basic issues, like is the intake or air filter blocked, is there any issue or blockage in the exhaust, is there any problems with the ignition system. Basically give the car a full tune up. Also check for other issues that might give more rolling resistance, like tyre pressures, and check that none of the brake calipers are seized or dragging.

Just to confirm, how much fuel does it take to fill the car when you fill it when the low fuel light comes on? The 13.5L/100km you mention is based on noting the amount of fuel and calculating the economy on each tank correct?

Comment

how do you calculate 13.5 litres per 100km?
      ... retired/

Comment

About 50L when i refill, its pretty consistent 320km when light comes on.
        Not sure what to look for for ignition system, shouldn't be any issues with intake side.
        So the O2 sensor doesn't have to throw a code to be bad? Where can i get a O2 sensor from thats not like $500

Also just wondering where i can get OEM honda parts like the weather sill for the door. They stated to crack and pill off.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ZHL View Post
          About 50L when i refill, its pretty consistent 320km when light comes on.
          Not sure what to look for for ignition system, shouldn't be any issues with intake side.
          So the O2 sensor doesn't have to throw a code to be bad? Where can i get a O2 sensor from thats not like $500

Also just wondering where i can get OEM honda parts like the weather sill for the door. They stated to crack and pill off.

Thanks
          Ignition system is very reliable on the K series, but the coils do fail, though I expect you'd notice if the car was running on 3 cylinders. Remove the spark plugs and inspect them, it will give you some indication of whether the car is running very rich, and you can replace them at the same time.

You say it shouldn't be an issue with the intake side, but you should look to be sure.

For OEM parts I'd suggest Amayama

For the O2 sensor I've used the Denso OEM replacement with success, but make sure you get the correct part ie. the one for the 05-06 RSX Type S. Check the US Denso site, look up the part number, then punch that number into google/eBay and find the cheapest price. Should be 150$ or less.

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply. From the above you think its most likely the O2 sensor?
            I check all the plugs they seem fine. Doesn't feel like its running on 3 cylinders.

With Amayama where do they post from? Are they reliable?

Another thing, just wondering where is the fuel filter located in DC5, i can't find it under the chassis or under the bonnet. Thought i may just change they as it may be the issue.

Thanks

Comment

Yes Amayama is reliable.
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Working...
              X