Jacky's EP3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I bought an MX5... again.
    Same colour. Same chassis. Just cleaner and completely standard.
    Great fun in factory form and very affordable.

It's because I can't afford a S2K.

Can you get more standard than a tape player and a 6 disc stacker in the boot?

Team Nineties!

Of course, the Civic is still in the picture.

Comment

grats on the purchase of your mx5 :P nice rides you guys got! What is the game plan for the mx5?

Comment

Originally posted by Devcon View Post
        grats on the purchase of your mx5 [emoji14] nice rides you guys got! What is the game plan for the mx5?
        Keep it as stock and clean as I can. I think this is my way out of the modification world whilst still having fun.
        Originally posted by chaumeh
        Great photos and congrats on the purchase!
        Thank you.

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been a while since last post.

20170806 - Green CE28
          Bought a set of CE28 in Takata Green from a buddy. Specs are 17x8 +38.
          Picked up a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE070 from Tyroola for just under $600. Specs are 225/45R17. I thought this was quite a deal.

20170909 - Smokey Saturday
          I reset my MCA suspension back to factory settings. Wheel alignment from NB Tyres.
          Required Hardrace shortened tie rod kit from JDMYard.
          Alignment specs are -2' camber all round with 1mm total toe out front and 1mm toe in rear.
          Rears rub on harsh bumps. Wanting to raise rear and reduce camber to -1' all round.
          Went for a night shoot once this was completed.

A week the suspension work, I dropped the car off @ Top One for a service.
          Also found that my radiator support rubbing on my TPS. Aftermarket TPS options are usually a miss until JDMYard recommended the Acuity TPS. Item was installed and calibrated in Hondata. I'll provide updates on this if anyone is looking for info.
          Paper gasket was made to replace the lack of gasket between the RRC manifold and the throttle body. It was glued apparently.
          The pod filter in the GruppeM was also cleaned out.
          Car came back with a lack of crossover sound however, I felt the push more than previous.
          Also, cold start idle is now at 1k RPM compared to 2k RPM (which would then drop to 1k RPM). Not too sure on the cause of this, possibly TPS? I'm assuming the fix is a retune? Let me know if you have a suggestion.

20170913 - Trackschool Trackday
          Spring time = track time. This was my 4th trackday.
          PB was set in Jan 2016 of 1:17.1.
          In 1.5 years, changes have been made:
          • Engine - stock tune + Injen CAI + RM01A > tuned + GruppeM + RRC + PLM Header + 100cel + RM01A
          • Suspension - stock suspension + Whiteline sway bars + Whiteline camber bolts > MCA X-R + Whiteline sway bars + Whiteline camber bolts + Hardrace shortened tie rods + Hardrace rear camber arms
          • Wheels - stock wheels + Dunlop Direzza ZII > Rays CE28 + Bridgestone RE070
          • Brakes - HC800 front + NS400 rear + Motul RBF600 fluid > NS400 front + NS400 rear + Motul RBF600 fluid

Brakes were the only downgrade in my eyes. I have a set of Intima SR in the garage but was very interested in how much I could improve going from NS400 to the Intima SR.
          This was my first weekday trackday and it was amazingly peaceful with lots of room for clean laps. From looking at the footage, it seemed to have influenced my driving too. PB is now 1:16.1.

First trackday PB can be found here.

I can tell there is brake fade comparing NS400 vs HC800 pads. Running with the NS400, my driving pattern involved 2 hot laps followed by a cool down lap and then repeat until end of session.
          Tires were definitely squeeling less than before. But I might think that's the result of driving experience.
          Two things surprised me that day.
          1. Suspension - I imagined the MCA X-R (10kg/18kg) would throw the car off, but it was extremely predictable. The adjustment in stiffness played a noticeable difference too. By the end of the day I was comfortable with a bit off lift off oversteer on to the back straight.
          2. ECU/Tune - Suprised me for the negative. I found myself hitting the same top speed down the main straight as previous (let me know if I'm expecting too much). However, I did feel that the car didn't run out of puff exiting corners.

Overall satisfied with the day. Intima SR + HEL braided brake lines will go on for next trackday. Engine performance seems 'meh'. Not completely disappointed, but was expecting a bit more as a result of the tune.

Last edited by mryangtastic; 17-09-17, 05:49 PM.

Comment

20171014 - TrackDayClub Trackday
            Trackday number 5.
            First time with TrackDayClub on WTAC Saturday. Commodores out in force.
            Very cool temperatures, overcast, with a very slight sprinkle on the way to Wakefield.

From last trackday, front and rear Intima SR pads and HEL braided brake lines installed.
            Along with driver experience, the result is a PB of 1:14.49 on the 3rd lap of the day. Very satisfied.
            Another EP3 was there on the day too and it was stock with Federal 595 RSRR tires and lapped a 1:14.29.

Apart from more driver experience, I'm not too sure what else I can improve.
            I have Hardrace RCAs yet to be installed. And have had Top One replace the front passenger lower control arm bush. The existing one was split.
            One thought I have developed is that the Bridgestone Potenza RE070 isn't really too great of a track tire. It's a 140 treadwear tire with OEM applications. I think it's a fast street tire, but I'm thinking the 595RSR/595RSRR are grippier on a dry trackday.

Comment

Why not try the RS4 Hankook? Tires are a major thing to improve for a car and also get a temperature laser to check the heat across your tyres after a track session. If they are hotter on the outside compared to the inside, maybe look at adding more camber. As i believe 1 deg is not a lot for track use.

Love the look of the car and what you are doing though

Comment

Originally posted by woot woot View Post
                Why not try the RS4 Hankook? Tires are a major thing to improve for a car and also get a temperature laser to check the heat across your tyres after a track session. If they are hotter on the outside compared to the inside, maybe look at adding more camber. As i believe 1 deg is not a lot for track use.

Love the look of the car and what you are doing though
                I'm sure the RS4 is a great tire. But I'm a sucker for cost savings. The set of Bridgestone RE070s were picked up brand new from Tyroola for just under $600 fitted. That's kind of my benchmark. I know the 595RSRR would probably stretch that budget.
                Good tip with the temp laser. I don't think I'll end up bring camber back to -1'. I'm pretty comfortable with -2' all round.

Comment

Originally posted by mryangtastic View Post
                  20171014 - TrackDayClub Trackday
                  Trackday number 5.

Apart from more driver experience, I'm not too sure what else I can improve.
                  Just drive the car and continue to analyse both your video and Racechrono data to see where improvements can be made.
                  Do you have an external GPS for your phone? It is a great option so you can get accurate data while you're out there and for reviewing afterwards.
                  A simple thing to do is to look at all your fastest sectors and watch those to see what you do to be faster in that section.

From watching the above, you can definitely carry more pace through corners as you aren't using the whole track. For example, you come out of T2 and there is still a heap of track to your left. You can be going all the way out to the edge of that ripple strip, which usually means you're carrying more speed through the corner. The same is seen up over the hill
                  It also looks like you're coasting going into the fish hook and the last turn. As a general rule, you should either be braking or accelerating at every single point on the track. Accelerating - lifting - braking, as three separate stages is always going to slower than acceleration - braking. Even if you have to extend your braking slightly to accommodate the extra pace you're carrying from extra acceleration. This all comes with confidence in the car.

You'll continue to improve in your driving and analyse of what the car/driver/track are doing, particularly with only 5 track days under your belt. You've got to think of driving as a very long term project.
                  Use all the tools at your disposal via the data, even talking to people that are slightly faster than you. Ask them what they do in certain areas that you believe you have issues.
                  My first time at Wakefield, I followed John in one of the Pulsars and realised it was quicker to slow earlier through T1, which then improved drive up the hill and then reduced my lap time.

In regards to your tyres, there is always a better option that costs more money.
                  I've found moving through the levels of quality tyre has helped to learn to drive a tyre to its limit and then usually by that time is over, I'm ready to buy new tyres and have moved 'up'. I know 3 years ago I couldn't drive as well as I do now, so spending A050 money would have been an absolute waste.
                  Much the same, I believe it is worth doing one change to the car each track day, so you can quantify the benefit of part x or alignment y. It is difficult to say one upgraded is actually a downgrade if you've done 5 things in between two track days.

Hopefully this is of benefit, I really enjoy improving my own driving, so if this can help yours then me tapping away at the keys is worth it!
                  1997 Honda Civic EK4
                  Winton - 1:34.94
                  Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                  Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                  Wakefield - 1:10.16
                  Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Very well said Rhys!!

Definitely having confidence in your car is the key to going faster! I found going to trackdays more consistently rather than having a longer break in between helped me to develop more confidence. If you do attend another trackschool day then definitely get an instructor to sit in with you!
                    Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
                      Hopefully this is of benefit, I really enjoy improving my own driving, so if this can help yours then me tapping away at the keys is worth it!
                      Keep tapping away.
                      Will try pushing harder in upcoming track days. Idle time is very easy to point out in the videos. In car, I don't realise it. Too many sounds and feels.

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
                      Definitely having confidence in your car is the key to going faster! I found going to trackdays more consistently rather than having a longer break in between helped me to develop more confidence. If you do attend another trackschool day then definitely get an instructor to sit in with you!
                      A trackday in the MX5 disrupted my Civic streak then. It handled like a sensitive Civic, just with less power.
                      Definitely should get an instructor with me. The only person who has ever given me guidance in car would have been Berty on my first track day.

Comment

I recently sold my MX5 but for a while, I was tracking both the MX5 and DC2R - basically alternating them between MX5 Club and Circuit Club Track Days.

After a while, I realised I wasn’t getting much faster as I’d spend the first couple of sessions adjusting my driving style. I could be hamfisted with the DC2R but needed to be a lot smoother with the MX5.

It wasn’t until I committed the DC2R as a track car that my times started to fall. I then hit a stagnation point again, and that’s where coaching helped.

I’ve since K swapped the DC2R and have only been on track with it twice, but again, coaching has helped me cut times - it’s much more effective than just burning money on track days. Add coaching to that, and it becomes a better “ROI” rather than just expense.

At the last track day, I had Benny and Jimmy from BYP drive my car. Benny then downloaded the info from my GPX data logger and interestingly enough, where I thought I was slower, I wasn’t. Where I thought I was holding steady, I was actually slower. Data is invaluable!

Comment

December 2017 Trackday #1
                          I went to two trackdays in the middle of December. One weekend after another.
                          The Civic performed twice as usual on the first trackday. My brother had his own passenger + timed sessions and I had my own set as well.
                          By the end of the day, the brakes had worn down. I learnt that brake pads are a consumable that are used up quick.

Also, a clunking noise started coming from the front. It was triggered upon weight transfer.
                          It's a weird clunk kind of 'dislocating' sound. Turning left will dislocate, and turning right/braking/accelerating will locate.

The car clunks @ T2, a re-adjustment clunk @ T3.
                          Clunks @ T4, and holds until the slight left @ T7 to re-adjust.
                          Turning left in to T8, there's no clunk. I think the problem triggers on right turns only.
                          Minor clunk @ T10. Re-adjustment happens braking in a straight line to T11.
                          Clunk @ middle of T11 and re-adjustment happens accelerating on to the straight.
                          Here's a video.

Anyone else had this problem before?

December 2017 Trackday #2
                          The Civic went once again. Fresh set of brake pads. Clunking still existed.
                          Hit a PB of 1:14.2.
                          There was a moment @ T11, it clunked and didn't re-adjust on the straight.
                          Without the re-adjustment, I recall the steering wheel was a TINY bit off-centre.

I checked under the car and there was a rip in the passenger CV boot.
                          Need to get the drive shaft replaced. That could be the culprit.
                          Front sway bar + endlinks are tight.
                          Last edited by mryangtastic; 09-02-18, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Alright update time!

MX5 is looking towards selling this ANZAC Day.

The EP3's clunking issue is non-existent on the street.
                            The passenger side CV boot ripped. Thanks to Frans @ Top One for identifying that my braided brake line was rubbing on it. It's been strapped down out of the way now.
                            Restored a set of TE37s will update in future post. 225/45R17 RE070s went on to this set for street driving.
                            Bought a set of Kumho V70A for a bargain and mounted on the CE28s. They are 235/40R17 and turn in feels better and lighter. Not sure if that's due to the sizing or the compound. The grip is noticeably better.

Interclub Supersprint

Friend Albert couldn't bring his AE86 to Interclub Supersprint @ SMSP South Circuit on April 21, so jokingly, I suggested he drive the EP3R.
                            And that night, we strapped in my fire extinguisher, slapped on the battery and tow stickers.
                            Good that I could turn away a wasted day for someone. Valued the feedback given as well.
                            • Engine is tip top
                            • Suspension is very stable
                            • Brakes fade frequently
                            • Clunking still present, more frequent than before

Albert has driven here before so he would know the track, just not familiar with the car. He ended the day with a 1:06.9.
                            Brakes felt spongey afterwards, just like every other track day.
                            Clunking is more audible and frequent on street now. If it impacts steering, hopefully I can replicate it for a workshop to look at.
                            Diagnosis from an earlier service in 2017 - loose passenger pillow ball. This could be it...

I have a Wakefield Park day with Nissan Sports Car Club next Sunday.
                            Really pushing for low 1:13 especially with an upgrade in tire.
                            Really really pushing for high 1:12 with DBA T3 rotors + Ferodo DS2500 to be installed early in the week too.
                            Last edited by mryangtastic; 22-04-18, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Very respectable time at South Circuit! Hopefully you're able to improve on the Wakefield pb!

Just out of curiosity do you have camber tops on the coilovers or front camber bolts?
                              Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
                                Very respectable time at South Circuit! Hopefully you're able to improve on the Wakefield pb!

Just out of curiosity do you have camber tops on the coilovers or front camber bolts?
                                I have camber tops on the coilovers AND Whiteline camber bolts.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X