Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jacky's EP3.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_twolves View Post
    From memory.... the bolt size is 12mm, thread pitch M8 - 1.25. Not sure if these are high tensile bolts, best to probably get it from honda for exact fit.

Fluid squirting out of the bolt head on the hard line. Check if the hard line bolt is actually tighten properly into the clutch slave cylinder. Make sure to use a flared nut spanner to save you dramas from rounding the nut.

For easier access to the slave cylinder bolts, remove the radiator fan from the radiator
    Removed radiator fan to take off the slave cylinder.
    The bolts that were already there were M8x1.25. The beginning of the thread in the hole was ruined.

Purchased a tap and die set and longer M8x1.25 bolts from Bunnings.
    Extended the thread down the hole.

Use the longer bolts to secure the slave so it doesn't flex anymore.
    Reattach the clutch line. (I didn't require a flared nut spanner)
    Bleed the slave cylinder.

And we're good for now. We will order a new clutch line just in case. Go OEM or braided stainless steel?

Last edited by mryangtastic; 11-06-17 at 04:17 PM.

So I bought an MX5... again.
    Same colour. Same chassis. Just cleaner and completely standard.
    Great fun in factory form and very affordable.

It's because I can't afford a S2K.

Can you get more standard than a tape player and a 6 disc stacker in the boot?

Team Nineties!

Of course, the Civic is still in the picture.

Super User

grats on the purchase of your mx5 :P nice rides you guys got! What is the game plan for the mx5?

Super User

Great photos and congrats on the purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Devcon View Post
    grats on the purchase of your mx5 nice rides you guys got! What is the game plan for the mx5?
    Keep it as stock and clean as I can. I think this is my way out of the modification world whilst still having fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaumeh View Post
    Great photos and congrats on the purchase!
    Thank you.

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

Been a while since last post.

20170806 - Green CE28
    Bought a set of CE28 in Takata Green from a buddy. Specs are 17x8 +38.
    Picked up a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE070 from Tyroola for just under $600. Specs are 225/45R17. I thought this was quite a deal.

20170909 - Smokey Saturday
    I reset my MCA suspension back to factory settings. Wheel alignment from NB Tyres.
    Required Hardrace shortened tie rod kit from JDMYard.
    Alignment specs are -2' camber all round with 1mm total toe out front and 1mm toe in rear.
    Rears rub on harsh bumps. Wanting to raise rear and reduce camber to -1' all round.
    Went for a night shoot once this was completed.

A week the suspension work, I dropped the car off @ Top One for a service.
    Also found that my radiator support rubbing on my TPS. Aftermarket TPS options are usually a miss until JDMYard recommended the Acuity TPS. Item was installed and calibrated in Hondata. I'll provide updates on this if anyone is looking for info.
    Paper gasket was made to replace the lack of gasket between the RRC manifold and the throttle body. It was glued apparently.
    The pod filter in the GruppeM was also cleaned out.
    Car came back with a lack of crossover sound however, I felt the push more than previous.
    Also, cold start idle is now at 1k RPM compared to 2k RPM (which would then drop to 1k RPM). Not too sure on the cause of this, possibly TPS? I'm assuming the fix is a retune? Let me know if you have a suggestion.

20170913 - Trackschool Trackday
    Spring time = track time. This was my 4th trackday.
    PB was set in Jan 2016 of 1:17.1.
    In 1.5 years, changes have been made:
    • Engine - stock tune + Injen CAI + RM01A > tuned + GruppeM + RRC + PLM Header + 100cel + RM01A
    • Suspension - stock suspension + Whiteline sway bars + Whiteline camber bolts > MCA X-R + Whiteline sway bars + Whiteline camber bolts + Hardrace shortened tie rods + Hardrace rear camber arms
    • Wheels - stock wheels + Dunlop Direzza ZII > Rays CE28 + Bridgestone RE070
    • Brakes - HC800 front + NS400 rear + Motul RBF600 fluid > NS400 front + NS400 rear + Motul RBF600 fluid

Brakes were the only downgrade in my eyes. I have a set of Intima SR in the garage but was very interested in how much I could improve going from NS400 to the Intima SR.
    This was my first weekday trackday and it was amazingly peaceful with lots of room for clean laps. From looking at the footage, it seemed to have influenced my driving too. PB is now 1:16.1.

First trackday PB can be found here.

I can tell there is brake fade comparing NS400 vs HC800 pads. Running with the NS400, my driving pattern involved 2 hot laps followed by a cool down lap and then repeat until end of session.
    Tires were definitely squeeling less than before. But I might think that's the result of driving experience.
    Two things surprised me that day.
    1. Suspension - I imagined the MCA X-R (10kg/18kg) would throw the car off, but it was extremely predictable. The adjustment in stiffness played a noticeable difference too. By the end of the day I was comfortable with a bit off lift off oversteer on to the back straight.
    2. ECU/Tune - Suprised me for the negative. I found myself hitting the same top speed down the main straight as previous (let me know if I'm expecting too much). However, I did feel that the car didn't run out of puff exiting corners.

Overall satisfied with the day. Intima SR + HEL braided brake lines will go on for next trackday. Engine performance seems 'meh'. Not completely disappointed, but was expecting a bit more as a result of the tune.

Last edited by mryangtastic; 17-09-17 at 06:49 PM.

20171014 - TrackDayClub Trackday
    Trackday number 5.
    First time with TrackDayClub on WTAC Saturday. Commodores out in force.
    Very cool temperatures, overcast, with a very slight sprinkle on the way to Wakefield.

From last trackday, front and rear Intima SR pads and HEL braided brake lines installed.
    Along with driver experience, the result is a PB of 1:14.49 on the 3rd lap of the day. Very satisfied.
    Another EP3 was there on the day too and it was stock with Federal 595 RSRR tires and lapped a 1:14.29.

Apart from more driver experience, I'm not too sure what else I can improve.
    I have Hardrace RCAs yet to be installed. And have had Top One replace the front passenger lower control arm bush. The existing one was split.
    One thought I have developed is that the Bridgestone Potenza RE070 isn't really too great of a track tire. It's a 140 treadwear tire with OEM applications. I think it's a fast street tire, but I'm thinking the 595RSR/595RSRR are grippier on a dry trackday.

Why not try the RS4 Hankook? Tires are a major thing to improve for a car and also get a temperature laser to check the heat across your tyres after a track session. If they are hotter on the outside compared to the inside, maybe look at adding more camber. As i believe 1 deg is not a lot for track use.

Love the look of the car and what you are doing though

Quote Originally Posted by woot woot View Post
    Why not try the RS4 Hankook? Tires are a major thing to improve for a car and also get a temperature laser to check the heat across your tyres after a track session. If they are hotter on the outside compared to the inside, maybe look at adding more camber. As i believe 1 deg is not a lot for track use.

Love the look of the car and what you are doing though
    I'm sure the RS4 is a great tire. But I'm a sucker for cost savings. The set of Bridgestone RE070s were picked up brand new from Tyroola for just under $600 fitted. That's kind of my benchmark. I know the 595RSRR would probably stretch that budget.
    Good tip with the temp laser. I don't think I'll end up bring camber back to -1'. I'm pretty comfortable with -2' all round.

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by mryangtastic View Post
    20171014 - TrackDayClub Trackday
    Trackday number 5.

Apart from more driver experience, I'm not too sure what else I can improve.
    Just drive the car and continue to analyse both your video and Racechrono data to see where improvements can be made.
    Do you have an external GPS for your phone? It is a great option so you can get accurate data while you're out there and for reviewing afterwards.
    A simple thing to do is to look at all your fastest sectors and watch those to see what you do to be faster in that section.

From watching the above, you can definitely carry more pace through corners as you aren't using the whole track. For example, you come out of T2 and there is still a heap of track to your left. You can be going all the way out to the edge of that ripple strip, which usually means you're carrying more speed through the corner. The same is seen up over the hill
    It also looks like you're coasting going into the fish hook and the last turn. As a general rule, you should either be braking or accelerating at every single point on the track. Accelerating - lifting - braking, as three separate stages is always going to slower than acceleration - braking. Even if you have to extend your braking slightly to accommodate the extra pace you're carrying from extra acceleration. This all comes with confidence in the car.

You'll continue to improve in your driving and analyse of what the car/driver/track are doing, particularly with only 5 track days under your belt. You've got to think of driving as a very long term project.
    Use all the tools at your disposal via the data, even talking to people that are slightly faster than you. Ask them what they do in certain areas that you believe you have issues.
    My first time at Wakefield, I followed John in one of the Pulsars and realised it was quicker to slow earlier through T1, which then improved drive up the hill and then reduced my lap time.

In regards to your tyres, there is always a better option that costs more money.
    I've found moving through the levels of quality tyre has helped to learn to drive a tyre to its limit and then usually by that time is over, I'm ready to buy new tyres and have moved 'up'. I know 3 years ago I couldn't drive as well as I do now, so spending A050 money would have been an absolute waste.
    Much the same, I believe it is worth doing one change to the car each track day, so you can quantify the benefit of part x or alignment y. It is difficult to say one upgraded is actually a downgrade if you've done 5 things in between two track days.

Hopefully this is of benefit, I really enjoy improving my own driving, so if this can help yours then me tapping away at the keys is worth it!
    1997 Honda Civic EK4
    Phillip Island - 1:55.43
    Winton - 1:37.47