Kevin's AP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alrighty so!

Track prep went great! Flushed the brakes and used some brand new Project Mu 335 fluid! Car was feeling great leading up to to the track day!

However, after 1 lap on the last straight before final corner of Barbagallo raceway, shifting from 3rd to 4th I was unable to get it into 4th. I then realised it would not go into any gear. F*CK! Luckily there was ample braking room for me to get back to the pits safely.

Feels rn. Clutch ded. Well maybe the teeth or something is broken but long story short, will need new clutch plus new master and slave since those were also going bad.
    Since the box will have to be opened for the replacement, I decided I would just purchase a whole kit and get it done altogether for peace of mind.
    I have my eyes set on the TODA High Power Single clutch + flywheel kit, but if you guys have any other suggestions let me know! Something good and of reasonable cost is nice, since I'm still a broke uni student heh

So unfortunately car will be out for at least a month and half, as my mate who I trust to do this job has a couple of other projects going on currently as well. goodnight for now, sweet prince

Last edited by KVZT; 01-03-17, 01:52 PM.

Comment

No good
      I know a lot of people go with stock clutch but with an act lightened flywheel. Really good set up that keeps the clutch feel the same. Probably cheaper than toda too

Comment

Been a while since I've updated this so just gonna add a bit to keep on track.

Ended up going with a full Exedy HD clutch kit and stock flywheel installed. Also installed brand new OEM clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder and a J's Racing braided clutch line. Also had shop re-tap transmission fill bolt.
        Also discovered that my front motor mounts are f*cked, and clutch fluid was muddy as, on top of a failing CMC and old CSC; all these factors possibly contributing to clutch failure on the track. CHANGE YA CLUTCH FLUID BOYZ!
        But all is well, she's finally back on the road

Also, while the car was down and out I felt that I was losing motivation to work on cars.. thankfully my friends came through with a few odd jobs here and there and work they needed to get done on their cars, and it was great fun to get back to wrenching!

Still in uni and stocking shelves at IGA, so no big plans in the near future. However things to do ASAP include:
        - New motor mounts! (thinking of going with Spoon since it comes with a tranny mount)
        - Diff fluid change
        - Swap to winter wheels because these semi slicks are lethal in the cold and wet (anyone run 225 rear on S2K? issues? strictly for daily driving only of course)

Comment

So quite a bit has happened within the last month and a bit. Got rid of the Advan RG's and got an agressive set of Volk CE28s wrapped in RE003 tyres, 235/45 and 245/45. (Unfortunately the previous owner of the Volks has had them refinished in a non-factory color...)
          I've finally finished my undergraduate studies, so finally had some time to dedicate to the car. Due to the respray of the wheels, the wheel specs have been painted over so I have no idea what specs these are. But they are aggressive, and paired with the 245/45 tyre, required a little flaring of the rears to fit.

Perth Honda recently had a dyno day open for us Honda boys, so I decided to sign up and see how much power my S2 makes as well as determine motor health from these figures!

Extremely happy with the numbers!!

Also, a great deal on some Hasport motor mounts came up locally, so I hopped onto them ASAP as my workshop had told me my engine mounts were torn while the car was in for the clutch job.
          Seems like they were alot worse than expected!

Install was quite straightforward, Hasport parts are always of great quality!
          These particular ones came with the 70a inserts .. I didn't really know what to expect; a lot of my other Honda mates run 62a and the vibrations are quite extreme. But these are actually not too bad I personally think, but I can understand why people may not like running these on a daily driver. (The vibrations create a tingly sensation on your hands and feet constantly, similar to that of the effects of consuming a pre workout lol)

And oh man, what an improvement over the f*cked OEM mounts! Heel-toes and downshifts are amazing; car is heaps more throwable and predictable through corners as the engine isn't acting like a massive pendulum on the front of the car anymore! Very keen to get back on the track with all these issues fixed up and some upgrades.

Up next:
          - Spark plugs
          - Motor and diff oil change
          - Chuck on VTEC solenoid gaskets
          - ..New color for ce28s

Comment

Can't go wrong with Ce28 ☺️

Numbers seem a little high for stock f20. That's starting to be ecu/tune numbers.a

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
              Can't go wrong with Ce28 ☺️

Numbers seem a little high for stock f20. That's starting to be ecu/tune numbers.a
              Heheh yup!

A few other S2000s also had a figure around the same as me, either stock or lightly modded like me. So was happy that my motor was healthy and strong, albeit running a little rich towards the end range haha.
              A built K20/K24 DC2 made 202hp after my run, expected a bit more from it tbh

Comment

Kaboom

Hey. Nothing much has changed in the short period of time since the last recent posts. I finally got around to dipping the CE28s which actually turned out pretty decent.

My awesome friends got me a suuuuper early birthday present in the form of a PLM header! The low and mid range power gains were really noticable however in VTEC only seems to be a tad more power. Install was really as easy as people say it is, and I'm happy that I finally have a full aftermarket exhaust system. The car heaps more quiet for some reason however .. (?????)

Aaaaand to the sad news. I blew my diff. Weak bearing caps on the AP1 diff are known to fail under heavy load, and that is exactly what happened. However from the years of me practicing drifting in the rain during lecture gaps at uni, a few trackdays and very, very regular hills runs it served its duty well. RIP @ 152,000kms. Thank god I have friends with a tow truck and a workshop as I was literally in the middle of no where with no reception. The same great friends have helped chip in for my new differential, off of a later model AP2! Hope to get back on the road soon, I miss driving it already!

Comment

Bad luck with the diff mate. I planned on doing more motorkhana days to practice some oversteer action but I think I will just stick to track driving now, haha.
                  1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                    Bad luck with the diff mate. I planned on doing more motorkhana days to practice some oversteer action but I think I will just stick to track driving now, haha.
                    If you treat it well it will return the favor for sure. Admittedly, I have been quite rough on my diff, defs learnt my lesson lol

Comment

Bummer!
                      Good that you've got a fix so quickly though. I honestly think it doesn't matter how gently you treat the diff it's going to go at some stage with any sort of aggressive driving. Best to just be prepared for it haha

Comment

Working...
                      X