No announcement yet.

Green EK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome stuff mate! Keen to see you up at Wakefield this year!
    Check out my 89' hatch track build!
    http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...856#post295856

Check out my RT4WD Wagon Resto/Turbo project!
    http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...951#post295951

Check out my EF9 SiR Resto build!
    http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...?16994-The-EF9

Comment

A couple weeks back I visited Honed HQ to test fit some new brakes.
      These are Porsche 986 4 pot calipers, with a 294mm disc and made to fit with a Honed bracket which will be available sometime reasonably soon.
      We test fitted a number of wheels and spacer combos, to see what would work. A 5mm spacer is required to make the 15*8 RPF1 fit, which I should be able to squeeze under the guard even with a 225/50 A050.
      I chose not to install these calipers just yet, as I don't want to make any major changes before Nug Nats Winton on the 21st and AHCC the following week.
      20180901_113613 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
      20180901_114608 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
      20180901_121837 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

While taking off my current calipers, my front pads were MUCH lower than I expected, so I replaced those a couple days later.
      My rears have been really low for ages and just wouldn't wear anymore, so I replaced them anyway.
      New discs when new pads go on, just because they are really cheap for this car.
      I went with HC800 again, which I have been able to get nearly a year out of the fronts and the rears have been on the car for well over 3 years.
      Front old and new.
      20180905_081510 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
      20180905_081918 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
      20180905_094856 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I'm off on holidays for a couple weeks, but will be in Sydney for WTAC so may bump into a couple of you!
      1997 Honda Civic EK4
      Winton - 1:34.94
      Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
      Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
      Wakefield - 1:10.16
      Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Nice, I’m always interested in brake upgrades. What rotors are they designed for?

And did you trial fit them under 6ul’s too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RC_dc2 View Post
          Nice, I’m always interested in brake upgrades. What rotors are they designed for?

And did you trial fit them under 6ul’s too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          It is a JCW Mini disc I believe. Easily available and supposedly VERY cheap in the US.
          The face on an 8 and 9 inch 6UL is the same, and requires an 8mm spacer to fit. The 9inch 6UL doesn't fit without the spacer, so there is no change there.
          Honed will compile all this data once the mounting kit and information is ready for sale.
          1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

The Mini discs are great, have used before too
            Email: info@moonlightracing.com.au
            Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/moonlightracingaus/

Supplying the best parts from all around the globe. Whatever you need, Moonlight's got it!

Comment

It has been a busy few weeks!
              I went to Italy with my fiance (also got engaged in August)
              2018-10-29_10-18-09 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              Then two days at home before heading to Sydney to meet a couple of Americans and hang out at WTAC.
              2018-10-29_10-19-12 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Last weekend was the final round of Nugget Nationals, so I jumped in the car at 4am and headed up to Winton.
              On the way I clipped a kangaroo and surprisingly had no damage except for the cable tie that holds my bumper on the left side. VERY lucky!!

The weather was looking good for Winton, so I was keen to get a few laps in and achieve a 1:35.xx, following my 1:36.6 at H Nats.
              No changes were made to the car, I was just relying on the extra grip that comes from the Hoosier A7 compared to A050M.

Laps for the day.
              S1 - 1:57.4280 1:57.9890 1:51.4080 1:36.7200
              S2 - 1:53.3660 1:36.2750 1:36.2810 1:42.3230

I did run the A7s at H Nats, but didn't do enough laps on them to get an understanding of their characteristics like I do the A050, so dawdled around in the first session before almost matching my previous PB with a 1:36.7. I was up on the following lap before the session was red flagged and I bailed off into the pits.
              This felt good, though did confirm that maybe a 1:35 was going to be more work than I anticipated!
              FB_IMG_1540104695562 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              Session two I went out and gave the car a little more through T2 and the sweeper, as these are two areas I think I can go faster. This resulted in two 1:36.2 laps in succession, which felt really nice!
              I thought I'd give it one more go on the 3rd flyer, but subsequently ended up in the dirt on the outside of the sweeper.
              Rewatching the footage, my steering input was far too aggressive and I really was just trying to find the limit on rotation.
              I got away with a really dusty car, so wanted to go out in the 3rd session to run some laps to make sure nothing was broken.

At the start of the third session, I lined up and went to exit the dummy grid before I was stopped at exit by a very noisy car and no forward drive. I rolled backwards into the pit area and was pushed back into the pits, those around me suspecting a drive shaft or similar had broken.
              Once the car was up on stands, the left outer CV was visibly damaged and that was the end of my day.
              VID_95280209_180635_378 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

The car sat in the pits while I organised a trailer and enough drivers for a few cars, so we could all get home safely.
              Thank you to Kevin for his trailer, Ying and Jally for driving a couple of cars and Vicroads for their awesome online unregistered permit system!!
              20181021_210257 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

This is the first time in over 4 years I haven't made it home from the track, so at worst case, if I had to take a tow truck home I was seemingly ok with that despite the cost.
              20181021_191927 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

My 1:36.27 from that day can be seen here. Still a bit more to tidy up on it, though won't be until 2019 before I'm back at Winton.

Once home, I then had to organise another shaft while being at work, playing basketball and also promoting Australian Hill Climb Championship on In Pit Lane!
              44582979_1197127363759601_348507179839389696_o by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I organised another shaft before removing my broken one, so had a 5050 chance of it being the correct hub.
              Once removed, it was the wrong hub.
              20181024_110709 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              Another trip with my broken one and we were back on the ground, ready to head to AHCC at 6am!!
              Conveniently, this is at Bryant Park, so I'd be at my parents for a few days.
              I'd never used A7s in a hill climb setting, though my experience at Winton gave me good hopes for going faster than previous!
              Thursday was untimed practice and i was on A050s, then on Friday I ran A050s in the morning before putting the A7s on.
              This whole time I was not doing burnouts up the start line as I was scared of breaking another shaft, though the failure at Winton looks to be wear and tear instead of an actual break.
              Once I put the Hoosiers on I ran a new PB of 57.7, watch here.
              The car felt really good, though there were a couple spots were the slightly shorter 225/45 A7 meant more limiter bashing than the 225/50 A050.
              I did test going to the next gear at Oh Shit and down into the mine shaft, but it was a HEAP of input over such a short period of time. I decided to stick with what I know works and rely on the grip from the tyres to continue to reduce my times.
              The A7 is a VERY good tyre, even with very limited heat due to the hill climb setting.
              FB_IMG_1540620882183 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Saturday and Sunday were the competition runs.
              I was doing burnouts by this stage, the Best16 has no issues spinning the A7s up to the line!!
              Times for those two days.
              Saturday
              60.39 61.05 58.88 57.89 58.56
              Sunday
              58.89 57.53 57.30 57.10

The weather on Saturday was not ideal, quite cold and damp at times.
              I left the A7s on, but first two runs were more about getting runs on the board if it got really wet.
              By the afternoon it was dry and I was able to give the Hoosiers a good push again and ran a 57.89 as quickest for the day.
              This put me in 2nd place for my class, though the gap to lead was nearly 2 seconds. Not exactly a gap I'd expect to close, even with absolutely perfect conditions! I was happy with this, and the weather on Sunday was expected to be much better.
              I did try more gear changes on the last run, it didn't work again, so shelved that idea again.
              FB_IMG_1540721909623 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Sunday, the sun was out and it was almost warm. It was decided that the event would move back half an hour to start at 9:30am, in order for the circuit to get heat in it. Good decision.
              After the first run, I knew there was ample grip and I got straight into it!!
              Run two of 57.53 had some oversteer in it, so I knew I could go faster, which I continued to do with the next two runs.
              Usually I'd be upset with a 57.10, knowing that a 56 was so close, but I'd had such an amazing time in the car over the AHCC that it didn't bother me.
              Fast enough to more than secure 2nd place in Sports Sedans up to 1600cc, new PB and going home with a working car!
              Feels good!!

Couple more photos
              FB_IMG_1540620879054 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              FB_IMG_1540721913200 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              FB_IMG_1540721917070 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Improvements to the lap? I'd like to try 3rd into the mine shaft and then back to 2nd for the exit. I can see there being time here, not so much with the 4th over Oh Shit.

Next weekend is the CAMS Club Challenge at Bryant Park, so I'll be there on the 2nd GCC team.
              Other than that, one more hill climb in December and I'll then park the car for a couple months over xmas.
              Need to install the Porsche brakes, pull some weight out of the car and give it a once over before the next hill climb in February.
              Fun times!
              Last edited by iwearmoccos; 29-10-18, 10:01 AM.
              1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Couple photos from Number 1 Nguyen.
                DSC09740 by Peter Nguyen, on Flickr
                DSC09741 by Peter Nguyen, on Flickr
                DSC09907 by Peter Nguyen, on Flickr
                DSC09909 by Peter Nguyen, on Flickr

And from Spin Media.
                Hillclimb-86 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                Hillclimb-31 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Travel, engagement, track, hill climb and PB's all round, it's all happening for Rhys!

Great effort at the hill climb coming second overall in your class, good luck with getting into the 56's next weekend!
                  1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Sunday was CAMS Club Challenge, which I was invited along to participate in.
                    The idea of the challenge is you have teams and need to run as close (or faster!) to the class lap record, then a percentage is worked out. Lowest percentage wins.
                    GCC had two teams, the A team that won last year, and then the B team made up of a few others of us.
                    The A team basically all hold class lap records and run VERY close to that, so they were always going to be very hard to beat.
                    I'm a couple seconds off the Sports Sedans class lap record, so I wasn't a huge benefit to the team. Similar to a few of the others in our team.
                    That was ok though, a free hill climb and a chance to improve on my times from the week before!!

Surprisingly, I don't have the actual times available, so I'll just describe each lap as I remember it.
                    We had 7 runs.
                    First run was a bit over steer prone which was the common thought from most. A7s feel like bricks initially, second run they were fine. Was a 60.something
                    Run two was much better, I felt like ABS was playing up a bit on a couple of hard braking corners. This was a mid 58.
                    3rd felt quite good, though really didn't push it super hard. Span it off the line and lifted a shade early over Oh Shit. Was some hesitation into the right hander after the straight. This was a 57.9
                    4th run was the last before lunch break. I gave it a good run and ended up with a 57.4 and it felt very nice.
                    That can be viewed below.

Considering two weeks ago, this would have been an incredible PB, I won't be too critical of it!
                    After lunch, probably another slow 58! hahah
                    2nd last run for the day, I tried going 3rd gear into the mine shaft rather than banging off the limiter. It seemed to work better than previously, and I think I can continue to improve on this, particularly accelerating through to the corner. Maybe those future Porsche brakes will mean I can just make it all work?! haha
                    This was a 56.65, pretty happy with that!
                    https://youtu.be/PCACvccOHvw
                    The last run for the day, I missed going back to 2nd in the gearshift previously mentioned above and the car bogged down as it was in 4th. I gave up that run and just dawdled back to the pits.
                    Quite a successful day either way!
                    The Hoosiers continue to improve, I'm unsure when they'll start to fall off due to excessive heat cycles, but I'll continue to run them until then.
                    The rears do gather a heap of excess rubber because they aren't being put through the torture the fronts do. At Winton after a lap or two this disappeared, so I'll probably have to go up there to clean them up again!

The results of the day.
                    1) Gippsland Car Club 101.86%
                    2) A Team - Gippsland Car Club 108.77%
                    3) Impreza WRX Car Club of VIC 108.99%
                    4) 86/BRZ Club of VIC 109.18%
                    5) Gippsland Gemini Car Club of VIC 118.59%
                    6) Melb Old School Cruisers 3 118.79%
                    7) Melb Old School Cruisers 2 122.25%
                    8 ) Melb Old School Cruisers 1 122.81%

The MOSC teams were driving what you'd expect, some big American muscle! They seemed to have some fun!

A couple of photos.
                    20181104_155046 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                    You've seen this angle before.
                    20181104_155927 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

The next hill climb is December 8th, a twilight event running the short layout. It'll be quite fun!
                    Plan over the 'summer break'
                    - Install Porsche brakes. Need to buy brake pads and a pair of 8inch 6ULs for the front if MX5 Mania ever get any fresh stock. They fit better over 986 calipers better than RPF1s.
                    - Remove more weight. Finally remove all the sound deadening in the front.
                    - In reality, I have no issues with the car so I'll keep beating on it in 2019.
                    1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Make it lighter and solid brakes. I like these plans!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

The last event for the year was a twilight hill climb at Bryant Park, running the short clockwise circuit.
                        The circuit had been resurfaced after AHCC, so we were excited to see how much faster it was.
                        Some photos of the resurface
                        015 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                        056 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                        059 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr\

I had been down there the week before and run some laps on a postie bike and was impressed with the grip. THose running in the khanacross were impressed also.
                        The only thing that needs finishing is painting of the kerbs.

So Saturday afternoon was quite warm, though was overcast and much cooler than the stinker that was Friday.
                        There were over 90 entries, so the pits were chaotic for a while, until things sorted themselves out.
                        The first few practice runs, I was impressed with the grip of the surface.

In relation to the car, nothing had changed and my previous PB was 40.1
                        Runs for the day
                        40.77 40.00 39.80 39.34 39.50 39.82

There wasn't too much to report on from this day as the car ran as it should, there was a HEAP of grip on the circuit and I didn't spin it around anywhere.
                        I was quite happy with the above result and it has made me excited to continue to drop time in 2019.
                        There were also a few Civics entered, 3 other EKs and an EG, Civics are the best.

And a couple photos.
                        Grant's turbo EK out testing the Honed splitter, which you can't see in this photo.
                        20181208_154339 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                        Peter's B16 turbo, making a lazy 240kw.
                        20181208_154331 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                        And my car at the end of the day.
                        I ended up 2nd in Sports Sedan up to 2000cc behind Stu in his K20 EK4.
                        20181208_193127 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                        Last edited by iwearmoccos; 11-12-18, 05:01 PM.
                        1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Over the weekend, I installed Porsche 986 calipers using the Honed mounting kit.
                          We had previously test fitted using prototype brackets, so this was just an install using the production versions, and also an opportunity for Tom to take a heap of photos of the install.
                          I'm using HC+ pads again. These are the Japanese version (HC800 come from Taiwan) and aren't exactly cheap. May try a different pad after these wear out.
                          20181216_111131 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          RDA Mini JCW disc. RDA put this black coating on them instead of oiling. Kinda cool, also means less brake cleaner requirements.
                          20181216_104850 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          And on the ground after bedding in the pads and enjoying the new braking power.
                          20181216_125418 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Initial pedal feel is great. Very little effort required for maximum braking.
                          I am interested to test them on the track, though that will have to wait for a couple of months.
                          First event will most likely be a hill climb in February.
                          Merry xmas
                          1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Wow nice, reason behind going with Porsche calipers instead of say Wilwoods or some other readily available option ?

Supplying the best parts from all around the globe. Whatever you need, Moonlight's got it!

Comment

Originally posted by mlracing View Post
                              Wow nice, reason behind going with Porsche calipers instead of say Wilwoods or some other readily available option ?
                              A few reasons.
                              Price - this kit is cheaper than all the other 4pot brake upgrades. Calipers are readily available for $400ish on Ebay.
                              Fitment under a 15inch wheel. I was able to test fit my wheels over Tom's CR-X set up.
                              Supporting my friends who did the research and now sell the mounting kit via Honed.
                              1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
                                A few reasons.
                                Price - this kit is cheaper than all the other 4pot brake upgrades. Calipers are readily available for $400ish on Ebay.
                                Fitment under a 15inch wheel. I was able to test fit my wheels over Tom's CR-X set up.
                                Supporting my friends who did the research and now sell the mounting kit via Honed.
                                Fair play they look sick and sure they'll do a top job

Comment

Working...
                                X