Green EK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RC_dc2 View Post
    Yes I bought the same but 6mm. They don’t fit on my hubs, I could possibly tap them on with a hammer but they really need the ID enlarged by about 0.05-0.10mm to slip on. I’ve tried on the front and rear neither fit, they measure 56.0-56.1 with a vernier. Did yours have a nice fit on the hub?

I think only the thicker versions have the locating hub for the wheel.
    No issues with fitment, though I only tried one spacer on one hub.
    1997 Honda Civic EK4
    Winton - 1:34.94
    Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
    Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
    Wakefield - 1:10.16
    Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
      -snip-

DSC07283 by Peter Nguyen, on Flickr

-snip-
      I don't know why but this picture just looks amazing.

I've finally made my way through this thread and it's made me really eager to get out on track as soon as possible with my car in stock form and just have some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingk22 View Post
        I don't know why but this picture just looks amazing.

I've finally made my way through this thread and it's made me really eager to get out on track as soon as possible with my car in stock form and just have some fun.
        It is a great photo! The guy who took it also has a fast S2000 and posts on here, if you didn't know.

Get your car reliable if it isn't already and then just get out there! I've enjoyed modifying the car as I've gone along and progressed as a driver. I've seen some people modify their cars and be disappointed with their lap times, forgetting they need to be able to drive the car.
        1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
          It is a great photo! The guy who took it also has a fast S2000 and posts on here, if you didn't know.

Get your car reliable if it isn't already and then just get out there! I've enjoyed modifying the car as I've gone along and progressed as a driver. I've seen some people modify their cars and be disappointed with their lap times, forgetting they need to be able to drive the car.
          Definitely, I need to do a full fluid overhaul + pads/discs then it should be ready, I especially like that you're over 300k km's, gives me hope for my 270k engine.
          Last edited by Kingk22; 09-01-18, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I went to Traction this morning and had some 225/50/15M A050s fitted to my 15*9 6ULs.
            20180113_091218 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            This is a comparison of the same tyre on an 8 and 9 inch rim. Not a huge difference in overall diameter, but there is less bulge in the tyre as well as an increase in the tread spread. Is that the right terminology?! Measuring the same spots on each wheel, the points are about 1/2 an inch wider. More spread, more grip on the ground and reduced lap times?!
            20180113_102128 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            The wheels on the car with an 8mm spacer.
            20180113_120102 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            Shouldn't be any issues with rubbing and the like. I did take the car for a run around the block, over a few speed humps and didn't have any rubbing.
            20180113_120232 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            I like the mismatched wheel look.
            I also struggled with framing this photo for some reason!
            20180113_120049 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            AGI sent me an email with the attached photo, so I would expect this half cage to be at my parents when I go down there next weekend.
            IMG_8625 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            Weekend of the 20th
            - Install half cage
            - Remove sound deadening and reinstall carpet.
            - Install oil cooler.

Weekend of Australia Day.
            - Install Honed geometry kit.

Plan after that.
            - Get the car aligned.
            - Maximum PBs.
            Last edited by iwearmoccos; 13-01-18, 04:27 PM.
            1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

I like the staggered look too, the wheels are just distinctly different yet still similar enough to make it work well. I'm interested to hear what the difference in feel is with the same tyre on the 9j.

Comment

Nice Rhys! Can't wait to see you smashing pb's this year
                Shak's S2000

Comment

Mismatched colour 6ul would look better but I just like 6uls [emoji14]
                  Such a long wait till April for you to track it. Just sneak one in before Japan? Haha

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                    Mismatched colour 6ul would look better but I just like 6uls [emoji14]
                    Such a long wait till April for you to track it. Just sneak one in before Japan? Haha

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
                    Definitely not sneaking in anything before Japan, that's only a couple weeks away! I think I've got 10 days left of work.

Looks like I won't be installing the half cage this weekend, as AGI are out of boxes and have no way to ship it.
                    They expect a delivery today or tomorrow, so hopefully it is delivered by Australia Day weekend.
                    Honed kit will definitely be installed that weekend though. Will do everything I can do on that weekend.
                    1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Weekend of the 20th
                      - Install half cage
                      - Remove sound deadening and reinstall carpet.
                      - Install oil cooler.

Weekend of Australia Day.
                      - Install Honed geometry kit.

That first weekend has been and gone. AGI still are holding my half cage ransom with their lack of boxes and/or inability to send it, so we'll move on from that. EDIT 29/01 - Has now turned up at my parents. Will install after Japan.

I had lined Tom up to press in the Honed extended ball joints that I bought and paid for ages ago. I've had the rear brackets in my garage.
                      I drove down to my parents on Wednesday night and after spending all day on phone meetings, I jacked the car up and removed all the bits and pieces from the front. The rear brakes were also removed in anticipation for the rear, though I left the suspension in place. It got too damn hot. It has been hot all week.
                      The car on jack stands, you've seen this a few times previous.
                      20180125_213958 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                      Tom wandered on down and measured the bump steer for scientific purposes. I'm sure he has a use for the data, I was only looking for that usual engineers nod of approval.
                      20180126_132939 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                      The extended ball joint install. Nice flash of gold. So fancy.
                      20180127_090937 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                      And the rear brackets. I had some trouble lining up the rear, which I think was down to an excess of sound deadening on the trailing arm. I made sure to remove it all off the left and everything went together nicely.
                      20180126_160928 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I raised the car as per the instructed amount and went for a run around the block. Nothing fell off, success.
                      I do think I'll raise it a bit more, it looks lower than previous?!
                      28/01/2018 UPDATE - Car is definitely lower, scrapped exhaust going out of my parents driveway and also front tyres rub on inner guard on full lock. I'll sort that out during future camber arm install.
                      20180127_124119 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

All the Honed instructions are really easy to follow, so I don't need to tell you how to install these things.

There was half an idea to also do the oil cooler today, but time out in the garage sapped all interest. I did however have another crack at shortening a line and it worked, so I'm happy with that tiny step in the right direction.
                      Last edited by iwearmoccos; 29-01-18, 10:02 AM.
                      1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

I'm back from a holiday and ready to get stuck into these lap times.

Before I jetted off, I played around with ride heights a little bit, as per my mention earlier, I believed the car needed to be raised slightly.
                        I think I ended up going another 10mm in the rear and 5mm in the front.
                        I then had Ray at Raceline align the car. Pretty standard alignment for myself. I left some toe out in the front, which I may regret with the Honed treatment.
                        20180303_143535 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I've been talking about this oil cooler forever, so I figured I'd finally install it. I bought a vice for my garage, so felt confident cutting the lines without going to my parents.
                        AN fittings and braided lines are pretty dumb, particularly for oil coolers. They have to go in really tight places and some small gaps, but there is barely any flexibility in the hoses and the fittings are so damn big!
                        I didn't really enjoy this install and hope that once I drive the car for a bit it doesn't leak (too much!)
                        The Greddy sandwich plate, HAMP filter and Mishimoto AN10 fittings and braided line.
                        Don't worry too much about that bolt with a few washers!
                        20180310_170354 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                        I originally had a plate to mount the cooler on, though it was being held on to this same spot. I figured I'd just mount the cooler there instead and ditch the plate.
                        Some foam tape was installed at the bottom of the cooler to reduce air going under it and I'll do some ducting in the near future.
                        20180310_170318 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                        Clearance at the front is superb due to the air con removal. I was worried the braided line would rub on the existing items in the engine bay so covered it with some flexible tubing.
                        If I did more research, I probably would have gone with a non braided line.
                        20180310_170850 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                        Engine bay photo. Up and over instead of around the engine due to the clutter that is found in a fairly OEM engine bay.
                        20180310_175444 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Probably won't drive the car this weekend, but I will be back at my parents next weekend to install the half cage.
                        Will double check all fittings and ensure nothing is leaking and top up oil once it moved into the cooler and lines.
                        That is about it!
                        Last edited by iwearmoccos; 10-03-18, 08:24 PM.
                        1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

I took the car for a drive yesterday afternoon to get some fuel and a bit of a run around the neighbourhood.
                          When I arrived home, I double checked everything and there doesn't seem to be any leaks...yet!
                          Also felt the lines, one was hot and one was only warm, so oil is going in hot and coming out on the cooler side. Exciting stuff.

Previously I had just mounted the cooler at the bottom, but felt some support from the top could be of benefit.
                          At first I tried to cut the blade off a kitchen knife to bend into a small bracket, but drilling through that with the drills in my garage was not going to happen easily.
                          I then found a small bracket in my drawers, which I think is either for a bicycle rack or mud guard setup. A bit of bending and a few extra washers, drilled a hole and then I think it both looks good and makes the cooler more sturdy.
                          20180312_112725 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          20180312_112733 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I then had a go at some cardboard mock up of what I want to do for some ducting.
                          Very primitive, but you get the general idea. Unsure how I'm going to put it all together with the sheet metal I got given on Sunday, but we'll have a play next week.
                          I was thinking that the shielding on those balcony heaters could also work with some modification. Easier to modify an existing item than to start from scratch.
                          I can't find a photo of the particular one I have in my head, but a trip to Bunnings again should hopefully uncover the item I want.
                          And here is my cardboard magic.
                          20180312_132413 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I would use the remaining mount on the side of the cooler to bolt it, and then some brackets at the bottom to secure, using foam tape or rubber moulding to seal everything up. Looks good and will work, in my head!
                          1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Looking good Mr Yeomans. I know a guy with a welder and a sheet metal folding device if you wanted to make that ducting apparatus a bit more professional looking.

Can I suggest that a little bit of rubber isolation of at least that upper mount of the cooler might be a good idea. These items have very thin walled material in them, and vibrations can be the death of them. You'll probably have no issues the way it is mounted though.

Comment

I know it’s great to have ducting and all that, but...is it really necessary? I did think about it but have been running mine without any ducting and it manages temps fine, so have just been too lazy to do much more.

That said, I did have some fancy ducting welded on the intercooler of my MX5.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                                Looking good Mr Yeomans. I know a guy with a welder and a sheet metal folding device if you wanted to make that ducting apparatus a bit more professional looking.

Can I suggest that a little bit of rubber isolation of at least that upper mount of the cooler might be a good idea. These items have very thin walled material in them, and vibrations can be the death of them. You'll probably have no issues the way it is mounted though.
                                Thank you, Thomas.
                                I may need to speak to your guy, his welder and sheet metal folding device.

Do you mean going as far as those fancy bolts with rubber infused into them, or just a rubber washer or two?
                                I was thinking I could shorten the allen headed bolt so it holds the mount to the car but doesn't have pressure on the rod that continues to the oil cooler. Would provide support but with some movement, a semi solid mount instead of solid.

Originally posted by Apu View Post
                                I know it’s great to have ducting and all that, but...is it really necessary? I did think about it but have been running mine without any ducting and it manages temps fine, so have just been too lazy to do much more.

That said, I did have some fancy ducting welded on the intercooler of my MX5.
                                I haven't tested with and without ducting myself, but those that have record far lower temps for longer with some kind of ducting.
                                Considering it is only costing me time, and maybe a lunch or two for Tom's guy, I think it is a good exercise.
                                Also may give me some experience with sheet metal, which I've never really played with previously.
                                Last edited by iwearmoccos; 14-03-18, 07:26 AM.
                                1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Working...
                                X