No announcement yet.

Green EK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any pics of the grex plate installed? im guessing 90deg fittings used here?
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
      any pics of the grex plate installed? im guessing 90deg fittings used here?
      No actual photos, but if you use your imagination and picture this on the back of a B16 with 90 degree fittings, that is what it looks like.
      I could also use straight fittings, as it is the 45degree angle from the plate that creates the space required.
      1997 Honda Civic EK4
      Winton - 1:34.94
      Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
      Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
      Wakefield - 1:10.16
      Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Yeah I had a feeling u used the 45deg row of fittings! Can't wait to see it all done
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

Yesterday was the final Gippsland CC hillclimb for the year running the short clockwise layout. I was a tenth off taking this class lap record not that long ago and was more than ready to throw together the lap of a lifetime to take it, until the BOM decided to tell us about this massive amount of rain Victoria had/is having this weekend!!

Earlier in the week I had another EK4 visit.
          20171127_184958 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I had driven to work on Friday, but decided against making the trek down to Newborough on Friday afternoon. For the short period I was on the freeway, I was in constant standing water and really didn't want to be amongst the suspected chaos.
          20171201_061149 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

If you pay any attention to Honed on the internet, you will know they have a V2 of their air guides out, with improved flexibility and durability, as well as a newer shape. I think they look quite nice! I had no chance to test them over the weekend, except maybe their water catching abilities.
          20171202_102506 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Another nice white GTST up at Bryant Park.
          20171202_134335 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

So back to the actual hill climb.
          This was a twilight event, so I went down on Saturday morning and changed my wheels over at my parents, before trekking up there at about 11am. It was kinda raining on and off, so I made sure to do many laps before the drivers briefing at 12:45 to try and wear a nice dry line in, and we were getting there, until it rained while the drivers briefing was on.
          On the first run, the track was dampish and I was about 4 seconds off my quickest run on this layout, and again on the 2nd.
          Then the rain came down and we were stuck with a wet track for the rest of the day, so except for a few mad oversteer moments, the day wasn't too exciting.

One thing I will write about is the wet weather abilities of the A050! Everyone always talks about how bad semis are in the wet, but my time in the real deal wet is the complete opposite. They were far more predictable than the RS3 in the wet, seemed to have no issues shedding water and were quite pleasant to drive on.
          It does confuse me when they say it takes a few laps to warm up an AD08R/RS3 or a semi, or that they aren't grippy in certain circumstances, where as my experience with tyres seems to be so much more positive.
          My front A050s are getting reasonably close to the wear markers now, and the rears are barely worn. I don't think my excessive hill climb burnouts have helped with wear on the front, but if you were just using them for circuit work, I think you'd be quite happy with their wear. Still plenty of life left in them, though there is a definite difference in wear from rear to front. (obvious statement!)

Just so you don't forget what my car looks like. YOu can usually see the hills in the background from this angle.
          20171202_134445 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

So, I won my class. I think I was 4th overall. The times haven't come through yet, but that isn't a big deal.
          Also worth noting was this was the lowest numbers of entries ever at a Bryant Park hill climb. I've noticed numbers dropping slightly over this year, so maybe the closure of Hazelwood has had an impact on entries? There seems to be more spectators this year than last, but they don't seem to be people who used to run cars, but people just generally interested in motorsport. I've made a few suggestions and volunteered my time to help with a few 'internet' solutions to help advertise the days, as they really don't do a good job of it at times. The club seems to be interested, but nothing has been confirmed as yet.
          20171202_184931 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

So, this year overall has been GREAT.
          I really am quite proud of the efforts I've made with my driving and the results in terms of lap times that I've been able to produce.
          Watching my videos, I can see my reactions to situations are much more calm and are 2nd nature these days. Even driving in the wet yesterday, I was reaction to the cars movements subconsciously. Keeping my hands in the same position on the wheel has been one big positive. Watching my old shuffle style looks so lazy and uncoordinated, I don't think I could drive as fast as I can if I continued to drive like that.
          I have stepped up in tyres with the A050 purchase, which has definitely contributed. I don't believe if I bought these tyres a year ago I could have put together the same types of laps, I didn't have the understanding of the car or the confidence to use the tyres to the fullest. I have a few less experienced guys talking to me all the time, trying to add aero and semis, as well as all these fancy bits when they've only done a couple track days. I continue to tell them to drive and drive and drive, record their data and then assess to improve. They all acknowledge it, but very rarely listen. They don't seem interested in the long term project. My Youtube channel is like watching someone grow up! I probably watch my videos more than anyone else.

The car won't be out for another track day until at least March, most likely April.
          Between now and then, I need to finally install this oil cooler, the rest of the Honed geometry kit and also a half cage that I've ordered from AGI. I do also plan to pull more weight out of the car to counteract the car, so will get to the sound deadening on the front floor and fire wall, plus a few more things.
          I just want to continue working on my driving, so the changes are going to be minimal as I study laps over the next few months to then come out flying!

Summary of 2017
          Winton - 1:37.47
          Bryant Park - 4 class lap records.

Goals for 2018
          Winton - 1:35.xx
          Phillip Island - 153.xx
          Wakefield - 1:10.xx
          Bryant Park - Figure 8 class lap record, I'm currently 2 seconds off it.

Once again, thanks for reading my ramblings.
          20171202_170650 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
          1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

I do enjoy following the progression of your driving and the pace with relation to the upgrades. Good to hear a half cage is on the cards now with how quick you're going

Comment

Originally posted by Austro View Post
              I do enjoy following the progression of your driving and the pace with relation to the upgrades. Good to hear a half cage is on the cards now with how quick you're going
              I appreciate the interest!

For future reference, all the times from the event on the Saturday.
              0212_Results_BryantPark_ClockwiseShort by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Always enjoy your posts, Rhys! Good to read about cars being built for, and used as intended. Really like the DIY aspect of it as well!

I’ve also put my helmet up until next “season”. Time for the minor repairs and fixes now...and look forward to seeing you at HNats!

Comment

Great year rhys. It's been fun reading your updates. I think everyone is taking a little break over the summer. It sucks cause all my stuff is just arriving haha

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

I sold my 'street' set of RPF1s last week as I had plans to buy some Advan RGD2s to mix it up a bit. It took a week for Traction Tyres to get me a price, as I don't think they've ever sold a set and by that time I was a bit over that idea. Definitely a great looking wheel though.
                    20171204_180819 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

So now I'm down to one set of wheels with A050s, so I thought I'd go up through Reefton. The stiff sidewalls on these tyres make them really uncomfortable, but they really work well as a general tyre, except for probably wearing out really quickly.
                    20171210_074949 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

The reduction in wheels had me thinking about what I was going to do next year. I had previously test fitted Tom's 15*9 6ULs and my reading on the Turbo Miata forum says a 225/50/15 tyre is faster on a 9 inch rim, so I ordered a pair of 15*9 6ULs and some 8mm spacers to test that theory.

I had to chase down the delivery truck, but they arrived today.
                    20171214_153639 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                    This is the Berrylium colour, which looks much better than I expected. Like a constant brake dust covered colour!
                    20171214_154412 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

They were test fitted this afternoon with the 8mm spacer and they don't hit anything.
                    In this photo they look like they poke a heap, but if you clicked back a few pages, you'll see they don't poke near as much as it looks. I'm also no strange to guard pulls on this car, if required!
                    20171214_162204 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

On top of that, I've also bought a pair of 15*8 RPF1s which I'll pick up on the weekend.
                    My wheel plan is - (each line is a pair of wheels)
                    - 15*9 6ULs with new 225/50/15 A050 Mediums. These will be used to chase my goals at Winton, Wakefield and Phillip Island.
                    - 15*8 RPF1s with current 225/50/15 A050 Mediums. I can't run bigger than an 8 for my class at hill climbs. Might dabble with the 9s and change class.
                    - 15*8 RPF1s with 2nd hand 225/50/15 A050 Mediums. These tyres are a couple years old, I'll just drive around on them. I also have another pair for future use.
                    - 15*8 RPF1s with current 205/50/15 A050 Mediums. Rear tyres aren't really doing much, I'll just leave these on all the time and keep an eye on them.

Lots of wheels, lots of A050s. Exciting times. In hindsight I probably should have just bought a pair of 15*9 6ULs and kept my 'street' RPF1s, but thats ok.

Plans between now and February, before I sneak off to Japan for 3 weeks. (sick brag)
                    - Install Honed geometry kit.
                    - Align car and return front to 0 toe and assess.
                    - Install AGI half cage that should be here by then.
                    - Install oil cooler, I've got all the bits now.
                    - Remove sound deadening in the front of the car, I'd like to weigh the car as well. That'll either make me content or look for other things to remove.

And here is a photo of my ED with another ED.
                    Merry xmas!
                    20171211_234815 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                    1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Good moves, looking forward to what is to come from you and the car in 2018
                      Honed - WEB: https://honeddevelopments.com/ FB: https://www.facebook.com/honeddevelopments

Comment

Originally posted by Grant@Honed View Post
                        Good moves, looking forward to what is to come from you and the car in 2018
                        I look forward to being at a track day and seeing the lowest and best looking Civic sedan fly through the Esses.
                        1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Happy new year.
                          More of a photo dump than anything else.

Picked up a wing for a tall guy from Sydney.
                          20171216_111149 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          Figured I'd drive the EK down to my parents for xmas. The weather was nice and cool, so it was nice to drive some of my old favourite roads.
                          I kept off the freeway for the whole time I was there.
                          20171224_172511 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          My sister's doggo and the Civic.
                          20171223_143135 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          Boxing day, we went for a drive through Reefon. It takes me the same time to get to Warburton from my parents as it does from my house, except it is much more interesting from my parents house.
                          20171226_100206 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          I've just got back from Apollo Bay, as I have to work tomorrow. I took the ED and my girlfriend's dad commented that we look like an old retired couple driving it around. It is quite relaxing to drive.
                          20180101_070506 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          Today I wanted to pull the stereo and old alarm out of the EK.
                          This was fairly straight forward. Just trace the wires that weren't there in the first place and remove them.
                          The jumble of head unit wires. I contributed to this when I put a new headunit in it a few years back.
                          20180101_125003 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          I thought I'd stuffed it all up because the drivers window and door lock wouldn't work.
                          It came down to me not plugging a plug back in and that you can't lock the door while it isn't closed. That is thinking.
                          I put a blanking plate in place. All the interior isn't back in, as I want to pull the carpet out and remove the sound deadening when I put my half cage in. Still waiting for it to arrive.
                          20180101_130121 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                          Just some junk that was pulled out.
                          20180101_151439 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

And a couple photos from Supercharger Nguyen.
                          DSC07283 by Peter Nguyen, on Flickr
                          DSC07290 by Peter Nguyen, on Flickr
                          1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
                            I sold my 'street' set of RPF1s last week as I had plans to buy some Advan RGD2s to mix it up a bit. It took a week for Traction Tyres to get me a price, as I don't think they've ever sold a set and by that time I was a bit over that idea. Definitely a great looking wheel though.
                            20171204_180819 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

So now I'm down to one set of wheels with A050s, so I thought I'd go up through Reefton. The stiff sidewalls on these tyres make them really uncomfortable, but they really work well as a general tyre, except for probably wearing out really quickly.
                            20171210_074949 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

The reduction in wheels had me thinking about what I was going to do next year. I had previously test fitted Tom's 15*9 6ULs and my reading on the Turbo Miata forum says a 225/50/15 tyre is faster on a 9 inch rim, so I ordered a pair of 15*9 6ULs and some 8mm spacers to test that theory.

I had to chase down the delivery truck, but they arrived today.
                            20171214_153639 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                            This is the Berrylium colour, which looks much better than I expected. Like a constant brake dust covered colour!
                            20171214_154412 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

They were test fitted this afternoon with the 8mm spacer and they don't hit anything.
                            In this photo they look like they poke a heap, but if you clicked back a few pages, you'll see they don't poke near as much as it looks. I'm also no strange to guard pulls on this car, if required!
                            20171214_162204 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

On top of that, I've also bought a pair of 15*8 RPF1s which I'll pick up on the weekend.
                            My wheel plan is - (each line is a pair of wheels)
                            - 15*9 6ULs with new 225/50/15 A050 Mediums. These will be used to chase my goals at Winton, Wakefield and Phillip Island.
                            - 15*8 RPF1s with current 225/50/15 A050 Mediums. I can't run bigger than an 8 for my class at hill climbs. Might dabble with the 9s and change class.
                            - 15*8 RPF1s with 2nd hand 225/50/15 A050 Mediums. These tyres are a couple years old, I'll just drive around on them. I also have another pair for future use.
                            - 15*8 RPF1s with current 205/50/15 A050 Mediums. Rear tyres aren't really doing much, I'll just leave these on all the time and keep an eye on them.

Lots of wheels, lots of A050s. Exciting times. In hindsight I probably should have just bought a pair of 15*9 6ULs and kept my 'street' RPF1s, but thats ok.

Plans between now and February, before I sneak off to Japan for 3 weeks. (sick brag)
                            - Install Honed geometry kit.
                            - Align car and return front to 0 toe and assess.
                            - Install AGI half cage that should be here by then.
                            - Install oil cooler, I've got all the bits now.
                            - Remove sound deadening in the front of the car, I'd like to weigh the car as well. That'll either make me content or look for other things to remove.

And here is a photo of my ED with another ED.
                            Merry xmas!
                            20171211_234815 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                            I like your wheel collection, rpf1’s and 6ul’s would be my picks too.

Are your wheel spacers hub centric or generic slip on type? If hub centric where did you get them from? I bought some locally made 56.1 bore spacers recently but they don’t fit so I’m keen to get some that definitely fit without me modifying them.

Comment

Originally posted by RC_dc2 View Post
                              I like your wheel collection, rpf1’s and 6ul’s would be my picks too.

Are your wheel spacers hub centric or generic slip on type? If hub centric where did you get them from? I bought some locally made 56.1 bore spacers recently but they don’t fit so I’m keen to get some that definitely fit without me modifying them.
                              I bought these, but in reality I should have bought the ones with the hub rings. Did you buy yours from the same company?
                              https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wheel-Sl...53.m2749.l2649
                              1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
                                I bought these, but in reality I should have bought the ones with the hub rings. Did you buy yours from the same company?
                                https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wheel-Sl...53.m2749.l2649
                                Yes I bought the same but 6mm. They don’t fit on my hubs, I could possibly tap them on with a hammer but they really need the ID enlarged by about 0.05-0.10mm to slip on. I’ve tried on the front and rear neither fit, they measure 56.0-56.1 with a vernier. Did yours have a nice fit on the hub?

I think only the thicker versions have the locating hub for the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                                X