No announcement yet.

Rebuilding for more boost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChargeR it's tech flex flexo super duty. Heat rated to 150c. I may still have to heat sleeve close to the turbo. If you wanted to have a go at it yourself I have heaps leftover.

Comment

Originally posted by wpg81 View Post
      ChargeR it's tech flex flexo super duty. Heat rated to 150c. I may still have to heat sleeve close to the turbo. If you wanted to have a go at it yourself I have heaps leftover.
      Excellent thanks, was just curious as at some stage I'll have to clean up the wiring in my CR-X and that looks really neat. What are the things you've used at the junctions?
      Last edited by ChargeR; 09-02-16, 12:54 PM.

Comment

It's a heat shrink that is double as thick as normal and also contains a glue to hold tight in place.

Comment

Early last week I was waiting on some stuff to come in so I started this! Unshore whether to paint, Polish or what yet but looks better with out all the extra knobs.
          Attached Files

Comment

After a fue attempts I got the correct water pump all fitted up the housing. The Engine block is back from the machine shop. I also had them file the rings to specs when it was there. On Saturday I cleaned the block down,cleaned and checked the oil holes ect. I was in the zone so I decided to fit up the new main bearing and checked clearances. Also got in to checking the ring gaps. With everything spot on within specs I have the crank and girdle all tensioned and done.
            Attached Files

Comment

It has been a good start to the week. I have been dying to get these bad boys together for some time. Feels good to be putting parts back together.
              Attached Files

Comment

I had been waiting for the big end bearing for a week or so. So when they rolled up it was full steam ahead. Got the clearances perfect with standard bearing with the Manley rods! It's hard some times when Honda clearances are in mm and rods are in inches, one minute your in mm and next minute it's in inches and don't get them confused.
                Found a spot for those pistons and rod that look to good to hide away.
                Attached Files

Comment

Also had some time to get the oil pump in as well as the chain and tensioner. I purchased a bottom cam chain guard for some reason as it was cheap. Sat the sump on to cover it all up.
                  I decided that arp head studs would be extra protection and not much more than new head bolts anyway. Honda head gasket is the best around even with the added pressure of boost.
                  Also a pic of the head in all its supertech glory.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Heads on and tensioned down, the chain guard makes life so much easier for the timing chain fitting. Cams and cam caps are all installed. Set timing to correct positions. 4.5mm drill bits at the back of cams hold the cams to the correct timing mark, have to love Honda's intelligence and foresight. I will let the pic tell the story.
                    Attached Files

Comment

what piston, crank and camshaft clearances are you running?

looks great
                      ... retired/

Comment

Position to wall was set to .0035" +-.0001
                        Main bearings are all Honda bearings
                        .030mm and no.3 .032mm plastigauge
                        big end bearing .0019" plastigauge
                        All clearance are dry bearing.
                        Cams are stock Honda so I will set rockers to factory specs.

Comment

Position to wall was set to .0035" +-.0001
                          Main bearings are all Honda bearings
                          .030mm and no.3 .032mm plastigauge
                          big end bearing .0019" plastigauge
                          All clearance are dry bearing.
                          so not too tight, sounds good.

Cams are stock Honda so I will set rockers to factory specs.
                          ah ok, but you can still clearance them, see check they are in range (and you are not over-torqueing them)...
                          ... retired/

Comment

Tink are you talking about cam cap clearance than your 100% correct. I do need to check them.so excited to be so close I skipped over that thanks for the reminder. It "should be good" but NOT going to risk it! Cold valve lash clearances are yet to be done.rocker cover is just sitting on their to keep the dust out.
                            It's nice to have some one experienced in the Honda community cast an eye over the specs,much appreciated! Yes as they say a little loose for boost. I have a friend giving advice and when I need checking stuff that has 30+ years of building old v8 stuff but Hondas are unique.

Comment

Tink are you talking about cam cap clearance than your 100% correct. I do need to check them.so excited to be so close I skipped over that thanks for the reminder. It "should be good" but NOT going to risk it! Cold valve lash clearances are yet to be done.rocker cover is just sitting on their to keep the dust out.
                              It's nice to have some one experienced in the Honda community cast an eye over the specs,much appreciated!
                              yeah, important not so much with using factory Honda cams,

but when i built my 250hp B20 i put in Skunk2 Pro2+ cams i got from usa. when i plastiguaged them, one journal was a bit tight, so i hand linished it out a few thou... then i put in some spec C's... and checked again, and was OK, so it was the head that was not 100%...

but anyways,

i doubt cam clearance is as important as crank bearings, as crank bearings are holding on to a spinny thing with massive 'lobes' going 'round 360 degrees 100 times a second!

Yes as they say a little loose for boost.
                              note - i didn't say loose, i said "not tight" - i read the yanks go like 0.040mm on the big ends...

i went 0.002" on my P2W on my NA with 12.8:1 CR, using CP pistons and 0.038mm on rod and BE's (with a proper line-hone & ACL race bearings), its just gone over 40'000km...

keep it up - remember - it is not the little things that make it fast, it's the little things that make it go BANG...

did you de-burr the oil pump and oil passages?
                              Last edited by tinkerbell; 29-02-16, 07:50 PM.
                              ... retired/

Comment

Under advice of Tink I checked the cam caps and found them right on the tight limit. So I hand linished the caps and retensioned the caps (some twice),Rechecked the clearances and I was much happier. Big thanks to Tink for the suggestion!
                                Got to the valve/rocker clearances done and rechecked. That finished all the internals!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X