Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding for more boost!

Hi
    My name is Warwick and I have been lurking around this site for about 8-9 years. It all started for me when my cousin had a dc5r championship white and I had my 95 Viti-s accord.not long after he sold the dc5 I sold the accord and went looking for a dc5r for myself, so I used this site to educate myself on the in's and outs of the dc5r.
    Eight months of driving a Daihatsu Mira I found my teg! A super clean dc5r in championship white(is there any other colour) lol. Mugen replica front bar, ings+1 rear bar and side skirts,custom c west rear wing(gt style),teins, headers, exhaust, 18" g games,full Jdm front suspension/ brakes, hondata s300 and gruppe m. It was awesome car!
    After a year and a half I started to look for more power so I located a greedy kit and changer a few bits and bolted it all up. It was not high in hp but was very strong at any revs any gear!!!! Often too much when driving in the hills or tighter roads.
    I have had this set up for about 5 years now with some extra suspension work and sway bars. So despite a great run with this set up 2 months ago now I had a spark plug cathode brake off and damage the engine. It looks to be a faulty plug as it failed at the base and has no signs of burning or have been hot!
    I Have already stripped down the engine and am recoing some parts cleaning and painting ect. As I used this site to learn I thought I should share this rebuild with others.
    Attached Files

Better things to come!

Subscribed.
    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Man what a beauty. Keen to see the rebuild!

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
        Ripping into the heavy work. Itching to see how bad it is

Comment

Bad luck with the spark plug damaging the engine. How old were the spark plugs?

Need more CITR lurkers to start posting!
          1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Bad luck alright.

Plugs were only 12-15k old! It failed at the base of the earth strap where that piece is fused or welded. No signs of excessive heat or having been hit by any thing. Ironically it was the most gently I think I have ever driven the car that drive!

Trying to turn this into a positive, I am excited to do this deep of a build!
            Attached Files

Comment

Zip lock bags are the best.
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments, zip lock bags make it heaps easier to keep things together.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank god for Zip lock bags, they have been invaluable in the past engine swaps I've been part of.

The head looks like its in good shape, I'm guessing most of the damage would be in the block.
                  1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

More progress! Had some fun with the tensioner after not following the correct procedures. Got it sorted in the end. removed timing chain and then head. Damage!!

A sneak peak of the damage to the pistons, yes I said Pistons! It plug failed in cyclinder 1 some how got back into the inlet manifold then got sucked into cyclinder 4. If that was not freaky enough the stray was found wedged into cyclinder 1 combustion chamber! WTF! After a lot of checking and looking for something/anything else that could cause this I test fitted the stray piece perfectly into the in dents in head and Pistons of both cyclinder1&4. Apparently not uncommon for stray parts to change cyclinders.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Again getting into it! I will let the pics do the talking. Not as bad as I was thinking , cyclinder walls are not marked
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice progress. What's the plan for the rebuild? Going to stick with the 2L bottom end? Same turbo?

Comment

Yes charge r staying 2.0l. Just needed to see bores we good. Unable to use one piston due to damage on the edge of the piston.
                          Going forged 10.0:1 Je Pistons Manley rods. Keeping the same turbo(gt30) a little small but will make enough power for me.
                          New sidewinder manifold, valves, valve springs ect and port match inlet ( ported Rbc 74mm throttle body) and exhaust manifold when cleaning up head.

Comment

I have got a bit more done this week. The plan for engine bay is to have a factory like look but as neat as I can. Ac and power steer must stay as its a street car not race or show car. I have primed and painted gearbox and I think it is the type of overall look I am going for.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Decided to have a brake on the engine side of things. Stripped down the alternator and replaced bearings and full clean. Everything was perfect inside very little wear on brushes or slip ring no need to replace anything else. Paint and reassemble.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X