Lap Timing Devices and Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lap Timing Devices and Apps

Open discussion for all items for recording lap times at the track.

With the advent of smart phones, most people use lap time recording apps now as opposed to infrared lap timing devices.

What are your favorite lap time recording apps?
    Skibeemo.com

A bunch of us use racechrono. Unfortunately only available on android. I like the app as it gives you the ability to review data and see different split times across four sectors and see where you were going faster etc.

The main screen when racing is also very very simple and easy to read. Also flashes either red or green after you pass each sector to let you know how you are going too!

A lot of us use this and mate it to an external GPS receiver via Bluetooth. This will track at 10hz as opposed to a phone tracking at 1hz. I tested this to natsoft and the timing was off by 0.002 or 0.003 seconds so incredibly accurate.

The lap timer since uses Gps also gives you too and average lap speeds. Something an IR setup cannot. It's also hassle free where u don't have to worry about picking up the IR receiver at Pit wall each time too.
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

I use Harry's Laptimer which is available for iPhone and Android.

It does reasonable GPS timing, although at times it can be a bit cantankerous

You can mount your phone in a cradle and record your laps and overlay your speed etc on laps of your choice.

Overall its easy enough to use and has most Australian tracks already loaded so set up is pretty straight forward.

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
        A bunch of us use racechrono. Unfortunately only available on android. I like the app as it gives you the ability to review data and see different split times across four sectors and see where you were going faster etc.

The main screen when racing is also very very simple and easy to read. Also flashes either red or green after you pass each sector to let you know how you are going too!

A lot of us use this and mate it to an external GPS receiver via Bluetooth. This will track at 10hz as opposed to a phone tracking at 1hz. I tested this to natsoft and the timing was off by 0.002 or 0.003 seconds so incredibly accurate.

The lap timer since uses Gps also gives you too and average lap speeds. Something an IR setup cannot. It's also hassle free where u don't have to worry about picking up the IR receiver at Pit wall each time too.
        hey mate. do you use the free version or the $22 one ? do you know the difference ?

Comment

I use the free one. It's more than enough!

See how accurate the lines are when coupled with external gps!
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

I use the free one. It's more than enough!

See how accurate the lines are when coupled with external gps!
            yea wow that is really good actually.

do you know the name or have a link of the external gps you use? cant seem to find any.

Comment

qstars!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qstarz-BT...wAAOSwQPlV9-kO
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

Awesome post Alex, thanks for sharing your inputs.

Originally posted by hauskp View Post
                I use Harry's Laptimer which is available for iPhone and Android.

It does reasonable GPS timing, although at times it can be a bit cantankerous

You can mount your phone in a cradle and record your laps and overlay your speed etc on laps of your choice.

Overall its easy enough to use and has most Australian tracks already loaded so set up is pretty straight forward.
                I've read good reviews about Harry's Laptimer. Is it worth the $30 or so dollars?
                Skibeemo.com

Comment

No problems. I made the switch to apple for work purposes, but I keep my trusty android phone as a lap timer! my reccomendation is to buy a cheap, used android off ebay and utilise that!
                  Integra Type R
                  Integra Type S
                  S2000

Comment

+1 for Racechrono with Qstars bluetooth external receiver extremely accurate. Some phones have bad GPS reception and aren't accurate.
                    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

For people using the free version, is there a way to export the data onto a PC?

Comment

I am pretty sure you can export the data onto the PC even on the free version.

Is anyone using the Racechrono PRO version? Looks like an awesome app with the ability to overlay racing data onto the video.
                        1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

I've used TrackAddict a few times on my iPhone, Works really well!

Comment

Originally posted by chaumeh View Post
                            Awesome post Alex, thanks for sharing your inputs.

I've read good reviews about Harry's Laptimer. Is it worth the $30 or so dollars?
                            I think it is, GPS timing coupled with the ability to overlay it across video footage is pretty good functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                              I am pretty sure you can export the data onto the PC even on the free version.

Is anyone using the Racechrono PRO version? Looks like an awesome app with the ability to overlay racing data onto the video.
                              I did some more digging....

The Windows PC version 1.45 is old and discontinued. When the android version changed to 2 the file types changed, to view them on the older PC version you can no longer cut and paste the session data onto the PC because the PC version cannot read the file types. The file types can be converted to the older .nmea via exporting on the android phone, but on the free version it only allows you to get 120 sec of data so it is not really useful. You get prompted to upgrade to the pro version which then I assume would work for the whole session but cannot confirm. Reading the forum the developer said the windows PC version will never be updated again and is not intended to be used to transfer data to.

So what do other people do to view data? It's pretty tedious to look through a lot on the phone, any other methods people use?

I borrowed the phone and gps from a friend for the day so I'm prob not going to purchase the pro version to try to get it working. Not sure which way to go now whether using Harry's lap timer (I only have an iphone) or buy an old android handset just to use for lap timing.

Comment

Working...
                              X