No announcement yet.

My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for wasp kit. I'll be getting one eventually. You can't get the heat proof ducting you need from bunnings (Ive already looked)

Comment

Good luck on getting into the 1:40's Pete, I know you can do it!

I will take the day off and come down to Wakefield to see you!!
      Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
        +1 for wasp kit. I'll be getting one eventually. You can't get the heat proof ducting you need from bunnings (Ive already looked)
        Originally posted by Bluscreama View Post
        Nice updated man.
        Before going down that bunnings cooling kit have a look at the wasp composite brake duct kit specifically made for ap1 and ap2 bumpers, price wise 400-450 posted
        il eventually be doing the wasp kit myself.
        Oh damn, I wanted to really DIY a kit from Bunnings just to save $$. That Wasp brake duct looks really awesome but a fair bit of cash, I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the suggestion guys, really appreciate it.

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
        Good luck on getting into the 1:40's Pete, I know you can do it!

I will take the day off and come down to Wakefield to see you!!
        Thanks Shak! Awesome, looking forward to catching up with you. I'll probably also see you for WTAC?
        1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

You can still diy but you'll have to get the ducting from racing site etc
          Still probably cheaper than the wasp kit that way

Comment

22/10/2014

Just a small update on what I'm planning for the future with the car. Just received shipment of some parts for the S2000 and will be installed when needed.

1. Tegiwa Oil baffle plate - This will be installed when I move onto semi slick tyres. Due to the increased cornering speed with semi slicks the risk of oil starvation during cornering with semi slicks is far greater with R compound grip levels. Next year I will most likely move to semi's as I'm pretty satisfied on the laptimes of how the car is doing on street tyres. This will require a welder to weld in the plate into my OEM oil pan.

2. AP2 valve retainers - I'm not sure when I'd be installing this as it's not a top priority at the moment and can be quite expensive I'd imagine for the labour to install these. AP1 retainers are known to crack when over revving the motor and may cause an engine failure, this is not a common occurrence for an N/A motor, for forced induction it is a highly recommended modification. I might get around to this when I need to get a valve adjustment done.

Currently preparing the car for a big track weekend for next week of which I will be at Winton for Circuit Club and EXE-crew Wakefield and that's it for tracking for the year.

Comment

Nice updates Peter! Keep them coming please

Comment

See you at exe day. In racing too now

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                  Nice updates Peter! Keep them coming please
                  Thanks Norm! I'll try my best with the updates.

See you at exe day. In racing too now
                  Awesome man, good to hear. I'll cya there!

28/10/2014 - New exhaust finally.

Once again, so much for not modifying the car but I thought the deal was too good to pass up.

Not something particularly high in my wishlist but I ended up purchasing a used Spoon N1 catback exhaust system.

It's a 60mm exhaust so it's not exactly optimal, but the price I got it for I thought it was more than worth the compromise from the 70mm exhausts that the S2000 community raves on about.

My butt dyno doesn't really notice much, but the exhaust does emit a pretty glorious sound.

The best thing about this exhaust is the weight saving as the stock dual S2000 exhaust is quite heavy.

The inclusion of the test pipe in the Spoon kit was an attractive feature, judging by my research the S2000 does benefit a fair bit from a test pipe as the OEM catalytic converter seems to be a bottle neck in performance. In addition to this the test pipe aids in lightening the car a tiny bit.

For the track the TP will be installed, the OEM cat will be used for street driving.

Exhaust tip is has a quite a subtle look.

Brakes update.
                  Also I am re-using my OEM brake rotors which have been machined, turns out they still have a fair bit of meat left as I somehow measured the width incorrectly haha, but the main reason why I had to reuse them was that the DBA rotors I purchased was the incorrect size. I will be getting a full refund for the rotors as they were advertised as S2000 front rotors. So the Machined front and rear OEM rotors and brand new PMU HC+ are officially in.

Just hope I can bed in the brakes properly before Winton so a fair bit of street driving will be done before hand to make sure it is.

With everything installed my car is ready for the epic Winton/Wakfield track day for this long weekend!

Comment

Love the sound of the spoon n1. Update

Comment

Nice purchase with the n1 man! Had one on my eg and dc2 and loved the sound of them! Was thinking about getting another for the s2k but eventually decided against it.

With the rotors were they 282x23 instead of 300x25? I've seen so many ads on YouTube advertised as s2000 rotors but are the smaller (wrong) sizing. Had to search for ages before I found the right sized ones.

Comment

Sweet update. Did you measure how heavy the stock catback weighs?
                        ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden95 View Post
                          Love the sound of the spoon n1. Update
                          Thanks mate! I'm enjoying it so far, it would be a tiresome exhaust to live with for daily though.

Nice purchase with the n1 man! Had one on my eg and dc2 and loved the sound of them! Was thinking about getting another for the s2k but eventually decided against it.

With the rotors were they 282x23 instead of 300x25? I've seen so many ads on YouTube advertised as s2000 rotors but are the smaller (wrong) sizing. Had to search for ages before I found the right sized ones.
                          Cheers man, you made a great choice with the BYP TI 70mm exhaust, that was one of the exhausts that was in consideration along with the 70RR (yes I know this is crazy talk) or 70RS. But getting this saved me heaps of cash so yeah, haha.

The rotors were 282mm ones, yeah was disappointing when I found out they were the wrong size but oh well.

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                          Sweet update. Did you measure how heavy the stock catback weighs?
                          Thanks Felix, glad that you asked. Unfortunately I have a pretty dodgy weight scale at home so I did some googling at work and here are the weights.

Exhausts weights
                          - OEM catback exhaust 25KG
                          - OEM catalytic converter 5.5kg
                          = 30.5KG

- Spoon N1 catback 8.6KG
                          - Spoon test pipe around 1.5kg (rough estimate)
                          = 10.1kg

Total weight saving of 20.4KG.

These figures are from an exhaust thread on S2ki. I'd say that is quite a decent weight saving just from changing the catback exhaust. Not sure how much faster it'll make the car go at the track, probably not that much faster but it will give me a slight boost no doubt, I will definitely report back with racechrono data. More power (although probably not much) and a bit of weight shaved can only mean good things. Would be interesting to see how the car does on the dyno.

Comment

Current Setup:
                            - 17x9+45 RPF1 with non staggered 255/40 Nitto NT-05.
                            - Tein Monoflex coilovers
                            - K&n short ram intake.
                            - Voltex 1700mm type 2 wing
                            - Whiteline 32mm FSB.
                            - Spoon N1 Catback exhaust with Spoon test pipe *NEW*

Brakes
                            - stock brakes
                            - *NEW* Project MU HC+ 800 brake pads front and rear. (replaced at 120k km)
                            - Cusco master cylinder brake stopper.
                            - HEL braided brake lines

01/11/14 - Circuit Club Witon Track day.

Was never planning to do this Winton track day, but I thought why not?
                            - It was on the way to Wakefied
                            - Another chance for PB before the end of my track season.
                            - Good chance to see if anything screws up before heading 800kms from home.

Weather was super sketchy in the morning with heavy rain then cleared up around 12pm with the sun shining down on the track.

I didn't realise until the track day was totally over but I actually unofficially PB'd this day with a 1:41.0 via Racechrono timing. The session I did this PB was an untimed session earlier on the day of which I was unaware of. The way how the track day ran is that they run timing every two sessions for passengers. I knew this before hand but for some reason that session I completely overlooked it.

The brand new HC+ front/rear + machined OEM rotors was just awesome. Pedal feel was very hard and consistent. The rock solid hard pedal feel wasn't something I totally used to, it made me over brake into some turns. Especially the corners where I needed to heel and toe down shift I would over brake into the corner which shaved off a bit too much speed. I did get comfortable with it which was great before the big day at Wakefield.

Spoon N1 catback exhaust impression.
                            I didn't really notice a big change in speed, but Racechrono did show some data of which the exhaust has sped up the car a bit, although not much but there is something. The main reference point I'd like to use is the back straight before the S bend at Winton.

My previous PB (1:41.7) the top speed was 163kph. With the exhaust upgrade the top speed was 166kph. Of course there are so
                            many variables to why that is, as I might've carried a bit more speed in the corner before the long straight which contributed to the slightly higher top speed.

In conclusion exhaust sounds decent, makes it go faster but not noticeable to my butt dyno.

Overall the day was very well run but was a pity about that untimed PB session. I took passengers most of the day after it got a bit too hot for my liking which pretty much means no chance of PB's, haha. Car ran flawlessly which was just what I wanted to see before the journey to Wakefield.

The thing that grinds my gears a bit is that natsoft is usually 0.1 + or - difference to racechrono. So it potentially I could have officially got into the high 40's, oh well next year I will hopefully make it happen.

03/11/14 - EXE-Crew first ever Wakefield track day.

Weather was great and decent sleep was had. Being my first Wakefield track day I didn't know what to expect. Unfortunately today was supposed to include official live timing, however the timing lady never showed up and we had to solely depend on Racechrono for laptimes, this was not EXE's fault.

Studying the track beforehand did help as I knew most of the gearing before heading into the first session. First session I was able to do a 1:13.1 which already made me really happy.

Second session I changed up the gearing a bit and was able to do a 1:11.4 which I was super stoked with.

Pretty much the rest of the day it got a bit too hot for my liking I was getting consistent high 11's with some low 12's. I was over driving the car a bit trying to push into the 10's but the day was quite hot and really got to the tyres. So the rest of the day was spent taking out passengers just for a laugh. I did analyse the track during these passenger sessions which I can carry on towards the next Wakefield track day (good luck remembering everything for next year).

My optimal ended up being in the 1:10's. So the car definitely has a lot more in it but the tyres are definitely getting past its limit as feeling less grippy and has done 8 track days since March with 10k+ km of road driving. Even though the NT05's are probably still good for a few more track days. With new tyres such as the AD08R or RS-3 I should be able to get into the 10's and perhaps even nudge the 9's. However I think Wakefield is too far for me to visit regularly so I will only head up there when a bunch of Victorians are going also.

Overall extremely happy with how the weekend went, got home safely had heaps of fun and the car ran flawlessly. Wakefield is an awesome track and will definitely be back someday.

Unfortunately I do not have any photo's right now but some of my mates do have some epic photo's of the car on the track, nor do I have videos as the memory card on the Gopro is corrupted.

I'll probably head back to the track around March next year, I am considering a different plan of attack next year but will have to think it over. So until then there won't be many updates unless I find some el'cheapo parts.

Will post some on track photo's when I get around to grabbing them off a mate.
                            Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 15-11-14, 07:28 PM.

Comment

You're a soldier Pete can't believe you did the two trackdays!

Thanks for the passenger laps, can't wait till you come back up here
                              Shak's S2000

Comment

awesome time for your first wakefield day, well done man!

Comment

Working...
                                X