My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
    Going up and smashing it solo! Beast mode Pete!
    Thanks M@lew.

Baseline Dyno Run with the EXE-crew 13/09/2014

Today got a baseline dyno run for the S2000 just to get a read out of how the cars doing in it's stock'ish form. It will be good for future reference when I start doing some power modifications for the car to see whether in the future my modifications are actually doing something.

The only modification done for the engine is the K&N FIPK air intake, which I think by design is inferior to the stock air box. But at least it sounds good I guess.

Very happy with the figures as apparently the average for a stock s2000 on a rolling dyno is around 125-130ish, of course there are so many variables that can alternate the figures a fair bit, such as air temp, tyre pressures and of how much of a tight ass the dynamometer wants to be on the day and so on.

Currently preparing the car for some track days, hopefully by the end of the year I'm looking for fit in 2-3 track days. One of which would be WAKEFIELD! on November 3rd, which I'm really excited about!

Also big thanks to the EXE crew and ChargeR for organizing the dyno day!
    Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 13-09-14, 10:20 PM.
    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

I like the sound of that last part! Keen as to see your times at wakefield

Any new mods before those track days?

Comment

Originally posted by steve d View Post
        I like the sound of that last part! Keen as to see your times at wakefield

Any new mods before those track days?
        Same here mate, don't expect too much as the only track I've been is Winton however the many videos of S2000's including yours does help a lot.

Regarding modifications, I have only bought myself a set of HEL braided lines. Just as a precautionary measure as I saw a thread on S2ki of a guy losing his brakes at high speed due to the rubber hoses popping. The S2000 is after all a pretty old car and braided lines was something I thought needed to be done. It apparently improves pedal feel, but I'll give a small review of how they are at my next track day.

I haven't done much else as I still haven't maximized my current setup as of yet and I know I can go faster thanks to Racechrono.

Also because I'm cheap. Haha.

A full service will be done today. (119.5k on the odo)

- As stated above replacement of brake lines with Hel braided brake lines courtesy of Garage460.

- 2 bottles of Honda gearbox fluid. (not pictured) I have no issues with my gearbox so I'll just replace it with fresh Honda MTF.

- 2 half bottles of Super Blue Racing fluid courtesy of Autosphere and Mugsee. This will need to be done as the brake lines are getting replaced.

- Redline 75w90 Gear Oil for the differential once again courtesy of Autosphere and Mugsee, the go to guy for most of the S2000's fluids.

- 5w40 Castrol Edge, cheap when on special at Repco and doesn't seem to burn much at all even during track days.

- Spare front set of PMU HC+ courtesy of Garage460. Was a very cheap group buy, if you need any PMU garage460 has some good deals. I thought it'd be a good idea to purchase spare brake pads as I would like to avoid retiring from a track day again due to lack brake pads and preparation. Never again!

- Ordered a set of DBA front brake rotors, the street series variation. Chose the blank as I'm not really a big believer of the slotted and drilled stuff. Have heard bad stories of them cracking under spirited driving.

Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 14-09-14, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Nice update man. Pretty much going to be doing nearly the exact same fluid changes as you in december/January for the new year.

I might have to come along to the trackday in November. I know a few people going now

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
            Nice update man. Pretty much going to be doing nearly the exact same fluid changes as you in december/January for the new year.

I might have to come along to the trackday in November. I know a few people going now
            Cheers mate, nothing special to be honest, haha. You'll be seeing some tame updates from here on end unless I somehow get a PB I'm happy with. Then maybe I'll get the mod ball rolling again. It'd be cool to meet some of the NSW guys at Wakefield, and perhaps you can give me some pointers for Wakefield too.

Comment

Haha I liked it because it's literally almost identical to my fluids change :P
              After pm you I ordered my brake lines today

Haha likewise with some of the melb guys coming up. I was speaking to ben and he's pretty sure he's coming up too.

Comment

Current Setup:

- 17x9+45 RPF1 with non staggered 255/40 Nitto NT-05.
                - Tein Monoflex coilovers
                - K&n short ram intake.
                - Voltex 1700mm type 2 wing
                - Whiteline 32mm FSB.

Brakes
                -stock brakes
                - Project MU HC+ brake pads. (replaced at 115km)
                - Cusco master cylinder brake stopper.
                - 2nd hand super fighter acre rear bracke pads (replaced at 116km).
                - HEL braided brake lines *new*

Tampered Motorsport 27/09/2014 track day at Winton

Coming into this track day, I knew what particular corners had to be improved on. That was turn 1 (first turn right after the BP start sign) and the sweeper. So with that in mind I tried to brake later, turn in later and power in and out a lot more. And this netted me a new PB of 1:41.7660! according to natsoft (down from 43.06). I am ecstatic to say the least. New mod for this day was just the braided lines.

Mini Review of braided lines – The feel of the braided lines felt a bit more consistent later in the day compared to the OEM lines which was just as I hoped for.

The brakes did however felt bad at the end of the day as the brake pads and rotors have reached it’s limit. Grinding noises is now apparent just by cruising with the car.

What’s next is Wakefield and to replace my brakes. After much deliberation, I will try to keep the car as it is in terms of modifications as it has a bit more time in it definitely. Might try the AD08R or RS-3’s next when the NT05’s wear out totally which is getting very close.

I am pretty certain Racechrono is playing tricks on me with the optimal PB lap time of 1:38.89…. Looking at the racechrono datalogs and the video a low 40’ is more of a realistic optimal PB. Regardless getting your optimal PB is pretty much impossible in one lap but I definitely think a 40 is in there as is.

Borrowed a mates Gopro and finally got a video! There is a lot of oversteer in the tight corners, fixing this may net a faster PB but then again a bit of oversteer is good in some ways. So i'll have to think about it further.

Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 29-09-14, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Very nice driving man! Is there anything you can't do Pete!!
                  Shak's S2000

Comment

Very nice! Can't wait to hit the track in 2 weeks =]
                    BNR34 Build [SOLD]
                    APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
                    Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
                    NSEX

Comment

Great work on the pb man

100% going wakefield exe day now so I'll come say hi

Comment

Woohoo Pete! Good work buddy.

Comment

Car looks amazing! Congrats on the PB!

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
                            Very nice driving man! Is there anything you can't do Pete!!
                            Thanks Shak, you're too kind haha.

Originally posted by wongy View Post
                            Very nice! Can't wait to hit the track in 2 weeks =]
                            Thanks mate, looking forward to your update with tracking the GT-R. All the best out there and remember to have fun.

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                            Great work on the pb man

100% going wakefield exe day now so I'll come say hi
                            Cheers mate, that's awesome look forward to meeting you and seeing some of the Sydney guys.

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                            Woohoo Pete! Good work buddy.
                            Cheers Norm!

Originally posted by kcl69 View Post
                            Car looks amazing! Congrats on the PB!
                            Thanks mate!

Comment

04/10/2014 - New brakes and stuff.

On Saturday I attempted to install my new brakes. After the track day the brakes seemed gone, but I didn't realize how gone they were when I removed the brake pads...

All 4 corners were pretty much %97-%100 worn...

These brake pads according to my previous updates are less than 5000km old with 4.5 track days (taking into account 1 track day was retired early due to lack of rear brake pads :/).

They will be replaced with PMU HC+ front and rear, DBA street series plain front brake rotors. Rear rotors still have plenty of meat left so they will just be machined when I'm ready to install the new brake pads.

Long story short I didn't end up installing the rotors and pads as I had one hell of a time trying to remove the front rotors with the stubborn brake rotor screws not coming off. So my buddy the giant power drill and I will go to town on those pesky screws so that will be left for another day.

OEM front brake rotors has seen better days.

Hopefully with the new HC+ front and rear will improve the overall braking balance, braking power and the brake pedal feel. Hopefully one more Winton day will be done before Wakefield next month.

I've analysed the PB video and racechrono data and know what needs to be done for that 1:40.

In the future I may install some Bunnings Warehouse racing brake ducts to help aid with the cooling of the brakes. Inspired by http://robrobinette.com/S2000BrakeDucts.htm

This guy Rob Robinette does a comprehensive write up on many things S2000 and FD's. His site has loads information which I find interesting and has been helpful on deciding how I modified my S2000.

Comment

Nice updated man.
                                Before going down that bunnings cooling kit have a look at the wasp composite brake duct kit specifically made for ap1 and ap2 bumpers, price wise 400-450 posted
                                il eventually be doing the wasp kit myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X