My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nugget Nationals Dyno day @ Weltmeister East 09/07/2016

Just for fun I attended the Nugget Nationals dyno day with the S2000 to check out the health of the engine on the rolling dyno.

Power modifications:
    - K&N FIPK intake.
    - Spoon N1 60mm exhaust.

The car managed to put down its best peak power figure of 127.3KW at the rear wheels. This to me indicates a healthy F20c which was good to see.

Courtesy of Ying for the photo.

K&N Short Ram intake out, OEM Intake back in.

From when I bought the K&N intake a few years back, I had known that by design this intake was not the greatest. I initially purchased this intake for the noise. So I decided to try out and reinstall the OEM intake. By design I can't really fault the OEM intake. It is an enclosed intake with a ram snorkel that feeds off the front of the car, not right behind the radiator and the heat of the engine bay. Therefore decreasing the chance of heat soak, and hopefully make more power than the K&N intake, for more PB's!

The car is ready for H-Nationals 2016 where it will be competing in class 3.
    Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 30-07-16, 09:30 PM.
    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

New alignment 30/07/2016 - TyrePower Reservoir

Just for peace of mind I had another alignment check done to the car. No alignment issues at all. Since the car was already on the alignment bay, I had opted for something a little more aggressive for hopefully higher cornering speeds.

Alignment specifications as below.

Toe was fixed up slightly with the addition of more negative camber. Car is now all prepped for Winton.

31/07/2016 - H-Nationals 2016 - Winton Raceway.

With the car in its current form I was competing in class 3.

With the rain pour from last night and the morning the track conditions was not looking good with a damp cold track. I was questioning whether I had a chance to run the NT01's as it would be dangerous to drive them in the wet.

So I had decided to stick with the street tyre setup, the AD08R with 17x9 RPF1.

The first session was untimed, but according to Racechrono I had done a 1:46.02 in pretty wet conditions. For street tyres I was very impressed with the amount of grip it has with heaps of predictability even in the damp conditions!

By 1PM the track conditions was much better with the track drying and no rain! I had skipped the second session for lunch and switched over to the trusty Nitto NT01's, so I had started to chase PB's after lunch time. The day was running slow unfortunately due to a few misadventures off track by a few participants.

First timed session: 1:49.6450 1:36.8190 1:43.6140 1:40.4770 1:36.7260 1:45.9110 1:38.8560

Idiotically I had left my full sized car jack in the boot in this session, as I had to carry the jack to a friends parking bay to install the NT01's and was wondering why my car was feeling weird. No noise was apparent from the rear with the tools in the boot. Luckily it didn't fly around and damage things!

Second timed session: 1:48.6460 1:36.0230 1:35.7260 1:38.2420 1:35.3600

With the jack removed the car felt better. Lap times were dropping but I was still very wary of the track conditions, along with the fear that if I were to come off the track I would be sliding in the grass for a very long time due to the very damp mud.

Third and LAST timed session:

I had decided to really go for it in this session as it would be the final one for the day and set my fastest time for the day of.......

1:34.0710!!!!!

Almost a PB! PB of 1:34.0420 still stands! So damn close. Just 0.0290 away from the PB and less than a 0.0710 for a 1:33!. Seriously... If I had ripped a bigger crap in the morning or placed my lap timer in the front of the car, a 1:33 could have been. Despite this I was really happy to see near identical PB's in somewhat not so ideal track conditions and pretty worn tyres, albeit they still grip like no tomorrow.

Third timed session: 1:49.2620 1:34.8020 1:34.0710 1:47.8310 1:35.5310 1:38.5980 1:39.4230 2:02.7060

First time this has ever happened. My optimal was identical to my fastest lap of the day!

Racechrono data of today (left) compared to data of current PB (right)

I am certain that the OEM airbox has given the car a slight increase of power. My speed traps have increased slightly due to this possibly. And I am hitting the limiter of the car much easier now possibly due to slightly better acceleration. It seems that today I slightly wussed out at the end of the sweeper as I lifted slightly where I should be pretty much flat the whole way and boobs section which costed a bit of time. If only I had one more session for the day! Looks like S bend speeds have jumped up a fair bit too!

With a lap time of 1:34.0420, I was able to take home a trophy for fastest for Group 3. Many thanks to the H-Nationals 2016 organisers for this day, I know behind the scenes there is a lot of work involved! And to Autosphere (Mugsee) who sponsored this class's prize.

Although barely missing my goal of 1:33 in its current setup, I am more than content with the performance of the car.

With this in mind it is finally time to start the CUSCO RS 1.5way rear differential build which should speed the car up significantly.

Chasing BYP's rocketship charged S2000.

Bonus prize, thanks for FelixR for providing this CITR hat and for supporting me!

Comment

CITR Hat provided to you via Shake-go courier services.

Nice seeing you again Pete
        Shak's S2000

Comment

Nice work Peter!
          I have lots of catching up to do haha

It was good seeing you again and man winton was so much fun!

I need to grab my data and see how it compares to yours as I think I lost a lot of time through the esses and the sweeper/boobs where I could've been going a lot faster!

Comment

My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

So close! Great read as usual.

Mad gains with OEM airbox haha

Did you drive to Winton with both your street rims/tyres and track rims/semi's? did the track set fit in the S2000?
            Skibeemo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
              CITR Hat provided to you via Shake-go courier services.

Nice seeing you again Pete
              Thanks for bringing the hat up, I didn't realise you brought it up as ChargeR just passed it on to me. Likewise Shak! Always good to catch up.

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
              Nice work Peter!
              I have lots of catching up to do haha

It was good seeing you again and man winton was so much fun!

I need to grab my data and see how it compares to yours as I think I lost a lot of time through the esses and the sweeper/boobs where I could've been going a lot faster!
              Likewise Toddxxx! Knew Winton would not disappoint you! Such a great track. Update your blog! I am on cheater spec tyres so my car isn't the best to compare with however your car is a rocket! I need to delete some weight off the car it seems!

Originally posted by chaumeh View Post
              So close! Great read as usual.

Mad gains with OEM airbox haha

Did you drive to Winton with both your street rims/tyres and track rims/semi's? did the track set fit in the S2000?
              So close indeed! I didn't know what to feel when I saw the 34.0 on Racechrono pop up AGAIN! Haha. OEM for the win!

Haha, no chance of fitting a set of wheels in the S2000. I can't even fit one wheel in the boot let alone a set haha. I had a friend bring it up for me as he brought his car up on a trailer. I have been driving the NT01's up and back from the track but as they are very worn, it would be super dangerous to drive them under damp conditions. The edges of the tyre are literally bald and the middle of the tyre is way past the tread depth indicators.

Comment

Writing update up now at work

Interesting to see that on a few corners I'm still faster than you even with the different tyres. You kill me through the sweeper and the esses though.

Lose that extra weight Pete! Those 4km/h on the straights could easily equate to a 1:33

Comment

Writing update up now at work

Interesting to see that on a few corners I'm still faster than you even with the different tyres. You kill me through the sweeper and the esses though.

Lose that extra weight Pete! Those 4km/h on the straights could easily equate to a 1:33
                  Thought about it but don't want to go drastic on the car with the weight reduction, more so of a street car .

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                    Thought about it but don't want to go drastic on the car with the weight reduction, more so of a street car .
                    mines a street car too. lots of little things add up and my goal has always been to keep full interior. im not crazy like dean haha

Comment

mines a street car too. lots of little things add up and my goal has always been to keep full interior. im not crazy like dean haha
                      I need A/C in my life though. Haha.

Comment

Good work Peter. Killed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rear Differential Build - CUSCO Type RS 1.5WAY LSD

After finally collating all the necessary parts for the differential build. It was time to begin with the install.

As the S2000 differentials were known to be fragile, I decided to purchase some reliability modifications for the build.

J’s Racing solid pinion collar + Shim Kit

This part replaces the OEM crush collar that holds the bearing pinion in place. The OEM collar can potentially collapse and cause a misalignment with the pinion bearing/pinion and can cause huge damage.

OEM bearings + seals

This might as well be done since the differential was opened.

10.9 Grade end cap bolts.

The OEM bolts can snap due to the bearing end caps stretching under thermal expansion. Once the end cap bolts snap, massive failure will occur. 10.9 Grade alloy metal are more robust than the OEM material.

The differential was all original from factory and had been through 145k KM with plenty of track work. Surprisingly I was told that the internals were in still great condition. I had decided to stick with the OEM 4.11 final drive as I believe the ratios suited the tracks that I go to.

The choice of mechanic's to install the LSD was the guys at the Nakama Workshop.

Although the car hasn't been pushed yet, I can already feel a huge difference compared to the OEM differential. A clutch type LSD provides a lot more information and feedback with the rear end it seems. Right now I am really liking how the car feels and I can't wait to see how it handles on the track.
                          Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 18-08-16, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Hello Peter,
                            I look forward to seeing how this performs at Sale on Sunday!
                            This is very exciting!
                            1997 Honda Civic EK4
                            Winton - 1:34.94
                            Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                            Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                            Wakefield - 1:10.16
                            Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Been patiently waiting for this install.

Anxiously awaiting your feedback from the next track day with this
                              Skibeemo.com

Comment

Did you consider a 8.8 inch Ford diff? Apparently they are super strong haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X