My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations again Peter!

I was following the weekend on natsoft and was stoked to see your times tumble every time I refreshed haha

Also clutch type LSD gets a thumbs up from me!
    Honed - WEB: https://honeddevelopments.com/ FB: https://www.facebook.com/honeddevelopments

Comment

Originally posted by chaumeh View Post
      So close to that 1:33! but a PB is a PB
      Haha, yes so close to the 1:33 but I am so stoked with its current PB nevertheless. I know if I keep pushing, I will get there.

Originally posted by kev89 View Post
      Are you even human? That is a ridiculous time haha
      Haha! Thanks mate, hopefully more time to be shaved off.

Originally posted by eLtrix View Post
      This is fantastic Peter! Always look forward to reading your posts!

Congratulations once again!

I can't wait for a chance to hit the track!
      Thanks man! Glad to hear you enjoy this blog as much as I enjoy updating it.

Good to hear we'll be seeing the DC5 out there, you'll have a fun time out there.

Originally posted by Grant@Honed View Post
      Congratulations again Peter!

I was following the weekend on natsoft and was stoked to see your times tumble every time I refreshed haha

Also clutch type LSD gets a thumbs up from me!
      Thanks Grant for the support! Haha you should come up next time! Awesome, definitely keen for the new LSD!

PB LAP with DATA overlay from RaceChrono using Race Render App.

I believe one of the best ways to go faster out there is to analyse videos and data from track days and learn what was done right or wrong and take that into the next track day to improve your driving. Throwing modifications needlessly isn't going to guarantee faster lap times.

With that in mind, I decided to learn how to overlay Racechrono Data and embed it into my PB lap video. And it was a success! The only issue is, my Winton Track on Racechrono starts on the main straight opposed to the BP sign after the S bend where Natsoft Timing begins. I now have the correct Winton Track layout so this will be a non-issue in the future.

1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Well done Peter!

Amazing driving.
        ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
          Well done Peter!

Amazing driving.
          Thank you FelixR!

Comment

Cusco RS 1.5 Way Clutch Type LSD

After having issues at a few corners at Winton and Wakefield of rear wheel tyre in lift in tight turns. I decided it was time to purchase a proper locking differential for it to lock in the event of a wheel floating in the air, which should cut off heaps of time. In addition a good LSD should allow the rear end to be more predictable, put power down efficiently and be more fun to drive.

Although this modification should provide heaps of benefits I am aware that re-tuning the suspension, dampers, and sway bars maybe required as a more aggressively locking rear diff can cause more push/understeer or even oversteer. Can only know how the car handles once it is installed.

I decided going with the Cusco RS 1.5 way clutch type LSD. Due to a number of reasons.

- I found it for a reasonable price
            - It's a reputable brand
            - Well rated on the internet for its predictability and smooth engagement, the low initial torque of 7.6KG probably attributed to this along with the coil spring design that this LSD has.
            - Many Japanese tuners on the Best motoring videos uses this LSD with great results, such as Amuse S2000 with their Orange 'Touge monster' and Z33 and many more.
            - Not that much diff chatter documented on the internet, which is great for the street.

The plan is to collect more differential strengthening parts such as AP2/Comptech diff caps if possible and a OEM diff rebuild kit to prepare for installation. Meanwhile the OEM diff will still be used for H Nationals and maybe one more Phillip Island day. In other words this LSD is not going in for a short while.

Comment

Yay! cusco 1.5 way here as well peter haha.

Comment

Maintenance and KOYO radiator.

As I plan on keeping this car for the long haul with the possibility to add more POWER! It was time to address the cooling system of the car.

36mm V-Core Koyo Radiator.

Install was very simple. The car seems to take much longer to warm up now with a more efficient radiator which is good to see.

Spoon 1.35 bar radiator cap.

Installed - Also got around to replace the weak plastic hoses with new rubber heat resistant hoses for the oil catch can also. As the old plastic hoses were shrinking when heated up which isn't good for relieving the PCV.

Spark Plug Replacement.

According to my logbooks the spark plugs were replaced at 100,000km. I have done nearly 40,000km since owning this car with some track days here and there.

Old sparkplugs - Denso Pk22pr-L11s.

Replaced with NGK Laser Platinum PFR7G-11S

Fluids replaced with Castrol Edge 5w30 and Honda Blue coolant @ 141k.

With all this done, the car is more than ready for its next track outing!

The weather hasn't been that great drive the S2000 as much as I'd like to. With a few rare exceptions.

Comment

When are you fixing the rear bar? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                    When are you fixing the rear bar? :P
                    Not anytime soon. Unless there's a red JDM AP1 rear bar for sale somewhere for cheap haha.

Comment

PIARC Super Sprints, Phillip Island GP Circuit - 26th of June 2016.

Current PB was set on the 10th of April 2016 - with a of PB 1:48.8554.

Not much has changed with the car since its last Phillip Island track day, except for the Koyo Rad and new fluids/sparkplugs.

Although the weather was great today I had a lot of traffic issues as the groups were mixed with various speeds of cars and it was quite a busy day. It was very difficult to get a clean lap.

Luckily I was able to get one decent lap in. And attain a new PB of 1:48.2466! -0.6088 from old PB of 1:48.8554

PB Lap Video.

PB lap was on the second session of the day. From then on traffic wasn't allowing me to put down any more clean laps.

2:05.4414 1:51.2541 1:58.5203 2:06.4326 2:06.7121 2:40.1133 1:59.6455 1:53.7226 1:48.2466 1:52.0244
                      2:22.0031 2:20.9598 1:50.9099 1:58.1506 2:13.0812 2:44.1565 2:15.7168 2:10.6920 2:04.9708 2:41.9087
                      1:51.7524 2:02.7968 2:04.2713 1:49.7682

Although it was difficult to put down many clean laps. It was satisfying to see that my PB was close to the Optimal PB. Seeing this means this is probably as far as I can go in its current setup unless some drastic changes were made to my driving.

Thanks to Racechrono, I was able to isolate which corners needed most improvement with my previous PB lap and then on try to improve on it today. The main changes were brake later and power on more through T1 and less oversteer at Honda Corner. With this I was able to shave of 0.6 from the previous PB.

I am hugely impressed with the Nitto NT01's. Although it looks like it is running out of tread, they never stop gripping. I'll be running these until the cords/belts are visible and retire them. Which is probably soon.

I will hold off until going back to PI until the LSD is in as the stock LSD isn't cutting it anymore, as the differential is now opening up even on some corners at PI.

The next track day is H-Nationals at Winton on the 31st of July. Then after that I aim at getting the Cusco RS LSD installed!

Comment

You are such an inspiration.
                        ClubITR | Like

Comment

You left a part out :P

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                            You are such an inspiration.
                            Thank you FelixR!

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                            You left a part out :P
                            Haha, I don't know what you're on about. :P

Comment

Great update Pete.

Those NT01's have been so reliable!
                              Skibeemo.com

Comment

Originally posted by chaumeh View Post
                                Great update Pete.

Those NT01's have been so reliable!
                                Thanks Tom! Best tyre's I have ever used. Can't wait to see what the Hankook Z221's can do if the NT01's are this good!

Comment

Working...
                                X