No announcement yet.

My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the oil analysis Peter! Thanks for sharing.

Do you burn much oil with Castrol Edge 5w30?
    Skibeemo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
      350mm Monte Carlo ftw!
      That's the plan!

Originally posted by jdm.itr View Post
      The amount of information that you get into your post is amazing, i envy you Peter haha
      Keep up the good work man!
      Thanks man, I try to document all my learnings on the car in my blog so I don't forget anything, and I have learned a lot so far!

Originally posted by chaumeh View Post
      Love the oil analysis Peter! Thanks for sharing.

Do you burn much oil with Castrol Edge 5w30?
      No worries Tom, glad you found it interesting.

Nope my car doesn't burn much oil at all. I basically burn next to nothing during a track day, which is surprising as the F20c are notorious for burning heaps of oil.
      1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

No worries Tom, glad you found it interesting.

Nope my car doesn't burn much oil at all. I basically burn next to nothing during a track day, which is surprising as the F20c are notorious for burning heaps of oil.
        That's awesome to hear. Your F20C must be super healthy!

Castrol Edge 5w30 Super Cheap Auto sales ftw.
        Skibeemo.com

Comment

Originally posted by chaumeh View Post
          That's awesome to hear. Your F20C must be super healthy!

Castrol Edge 5w30 Super Cheap Auto sales ftw.
          I'd like to think so, haha. Such good value when they're on sale.

New Steering Wheel - MOMO Monte Carlo 350mm in black leather with red stitching.

Feels and looks good to me. Very happy with the purchase.

VTEC Solenoid Gasket replacement

A common issue in Honda's, the VTEC solenoid tends to leak oil as the gasket is worn over time. Mine had a minor leak so I wanted to fix it up.

The solenoid has two gaskets that can be replaced.

15825-PCX-015 is the lower and larger Gasket that sits between the solenoid and the engine block.

The upper and smaller gasket is not sold by Honda and can only be purchased off Ballade Sports from the USA.

Solenoid removed. Unclip two clips, and unbolt three bolts to remove the solenoid against the block.

Lower Honda Gasket replaced.

Bolt and clip everything back together and it is done. Confirm VTEC still engages and that there are no leaks!

Unused 255/40/17 Hankook Ventus Z221 Medium Compound.

Purchased as it was selling for cheap. The NT01 still have plenty of life to hopefully last the rest of the year. So these will be stored until I need to use them, hopefully next year or so.

Considering these have a 80 treadwear rating, theoretically speaking they should grip more than the NT01 but in turn also wear faster than the NT01 which have a 100 treadwear rating. I am confident that these will provide PB's and fun all round so I honestly can't wait to use them. But the NT01's must be fully utilised first before I mount the Z221's on.

Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 08-05-16, 12:17 PM.

Comment

A050 soft compound next? Hahah

Comment

I have a set of 265/35/18 A050 soft compound BRAND NEW if u interested Pete
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

Originally posted by dustinyo View Post
                A050 soft compound next? Hahah
                Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                I have a set of 265/35/18 A050 soft compound BRAND NEW if u interested Pete
                A050's are more than I can afford pal's.

Haha thanks for the offer Alex, but I have no intention of going 18's anytime soon.

Comment

That track dust on the dash.
                  ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                    noticed it too :P

cant wait to see the hankooks mounted and PBs tumble

Comment

Already messaged you about it on IG but again loving the Monte Carlo! The price of it will offset the cost of sourcing an NSX horn button eh
                      00' DC2 Honda Integra Type R | NH592P | DC2R
                      13' ZN6 Toyota 86 GT | D4S | CNN-66E
                      15' ZN6 Subaru WRX STI Premium | CBS | EBU-36R

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                        Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                        noticed it too :P

cant wait to see the hankooks mounted and PBs tumble
                        I noticed it too, but couldn't be bothered cleaning it haha.

Was tempting to throw the Z221's for some PB's but that can wait. NT01's still have some more PB's left in it anyways.

Originally posted by jv-st View Post
                        Already messaged you about it on IG but again loving the Monte Carlo! The price of it will offset the cost of sourcing an NSX horn button eh
                        Thanks mate, I have considered the NSX-R horn button until I saw the pricing... $240 for a Horn button alone! As good as it looks, I can't justify spending that much. The RED Momo logo I think looks great so I'll keep it as it is.

Comment

EXE-Crew Winton Track day Weekend 14th/15th May 2016

The only change to the car since the last track day early last month with the Nugget Nationals/EXE-Crew was the 350mm Monte Carlo Steering Wheel.

Since I had changed the steering wheel a new wheel alignment had to be done to straighten the wheel. I opted for the same specs as before.

The time to beat was 1.35.97 which was done on 03/04/2016.

New impressions of the 350mm Monte Carlo steering wheel.

I thought I would have taken a while to get used to the new steering wheel but that was not the case. The steering wheel is thinner but it has more prominent grips than the OEM steering wheel. In addition it also has opened up even more leg room for better footwork. I underestimated the importance of improving the driving feel and ergonomics and I wish I had gotten the RECARO seat + steering wheel much earlier for the S2000 as right now the driving position is almost perfect, a spacer to bring out the steering wheel slightly closer might be nice though .

Day #1 Time Attack!

As always I start off the first session by easing into the day and gauging the track conditions. Weather was prime for PB's, there was no excuse for no PB's this weekend. The aim was always to PB but I had my doubts whether a 34' was achievable in this setup.

Session 1 - 1:47.1310 1:45.2970 1:46.0710 1:38.7070 1:59.4420

As the sessions went by, so did my confidence level. Eventually I had finished the day with a new PB of 1:34.2840!! Although amazed by the result, Racechrono showed a optimal PB of 1:33.6X by the end of Saturday's track day. The thought of getting into the 34's never crossed my mind let alone into the 33's in the cars current configuration. I had one full day next day so I decided to go all out and use the NT01's again. Initially I planned on using the NT01's for Saturday and the AD08R street tyres for Sunday, but I was keen for a PB more than ever! I wanted to save the NT01's for Honda Nationals but after gauging on the potential and the surprising life of the NT01's, it solidified my decision to keep at it with the semi's for Sunday.

Session 2 - 1:47.0720 1:48.8820 1:36.7310 2:11.4330 10 1:35.3670 1:58.4860

Session 3 - 1:46.3440 1:34.5320 1:42.5400 1:35.5310 1:53.7110 1:44.8190 1:34.5890

Session 4 - 1:47.5770 1:34.2840 1:43.1630 1:35.5150 1:46.6920 1:58.2380 2:12.5800

Session 5 - 1:47.5580 30 1:40.1380 1:36.1310 1:36.4010 2:08.5370 1:42.5960 1:58.4800

Day #2 Time Attack!

On a high from Satuday's results, I was hoping I could achieve a 1:33, this was indeed a stretched target but anything is possible! The weather for this day was great although it was definitely more warmer than Saturday with the weather forecasted to be about 21*c compared to Saturdays chilly but dry weather. It was still great PB weather.

As always first session is used to gauge the track conditions and take out a passenger.

Session 1 - 1:50.1710 1:37.3610 1:48.6490 1:37.6780 2:19.5850 1:44.2570

As the day went on, my confidence level grew. From session 2 - 3 I was getting consistent 1:34's.

Session 2 - 1:55.2770 1:38.7760 2:14.9390 1:34.4170 2:02.0940 1:37.1230

Session 3 - 1:56.2730 1:34.4780 1:34.4350 2:03.1620 1:50.1860 1:34.1470 20 1:57.1930

Then.... a 1:34.0420!!!!

Session 4 - 2:14.8070 1:42.8970 1:58.1990 1:35.4340 1:34.0420 2:00.7360

Kept pushing with a few more 34's!

Session 5 - 1:51.6300 1:34.1650 1:43.2780 1:34.4650 1:56.4410 1:50.3240

Final session my tyres had given up so I finished the session early and called it a day.

Session 6 - 1:54.8110 1:34.3150 1:47.4330

New PB 1:34.0420

Honestly, this Sunday was the hardest I've ever pushed myself and the car. With the 1:33's in sight I had given it my all and just missed it by the narrowest of margins. Even though a 1:33' was not achieved I am extremely pleased with the weekend and grateful of the fun times and cars consistent performance throughout the weekend. Although there was one thing that really need improvement to the car.

Open Diff Syndrome
                          Previously stated in my track day blog post for Winton, the open diff syndrome was gone as the new Hasports Diff mounts had decreased the level of flex of the rear drive-train. The problem is back now that the car is getting pushed harder into the corners, this problem arises particularly at the M section aka Boobs section and especially the sharp left hander aka Dog Leg corner.

The OEM Torsen (torque sensing) LSD is a great LSD when both tyres are in contact on the floor, the big issue with the Torsen LSD is as soon as one tyre lifts of the ground the Diff essentially Opens up and sends all the power to the wheel in the air, delivering no power to the wheel still in contact with the ground. A clutch type 1.5Way LSD is definitely on the cards which will lock despite a wheel being up in the air and put power down to the ground more efficiently and many other benefits. I believe this modification will shave off a big chunk of time while making the car more fun and even more predictable at the limit.

PB LAP

Optimal PB kept dropping session after session! With a 1:33.03 optimal PB lap, a mid 1:33.XX is achievable if I keep at it.

Waiting in the pits for the final session with some fellow S2000's mates.

NT01's are wearing very well considering the abuse they have been through and still grip well. At least another 2-3 track days, maybe even 4?

Once again many thanks to the EXE-Crew as always holding such great track days with friendly vibes and plentiful of track time.

Time to give the car a bit of a break with the next track day will be H-Nationals on the 31st of July 2016 @ Winton.
                          Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 18-05-16, 06:19 AM.

Comment

So close to that 1:33! but a PB is a PB
                            Skibeemo.com

Comment

Are you even human? That is a ridiculous time haha

Comment

This is fantastic Peter! Always look forward to reading your posts!

Congratulations once again!

I can't wait for a chance to hit the track!
                                Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

Working...
                                X